Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - newbeeeee help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

newbeeeee help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaLice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: newbeeeee help Reply with quote

hi today i bought a ipaq 2210 and i love it, i want to put gps on it, i want to get a mount and a gps receiver im not sure weather to go wired or bluetooth, is there any need to go for one over the other ?? it wont really need to be swapped from car to car and if i do it will be easy enuff to get out.

so recomendations on a mount and also what type of receiver to go for and where from, also any programs i should get (besides gps software) any sites etc for themes or any thing like that ???

Regards

James
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Recommend that you put a few hours aside and do some extensive research on these forums before you spend any cash at all.

Here are some of my personal starting points though:-

1. Check out the mounts pics in Members mounts - much depends on your own personal preferences. Simple can often be best.

2. Choice of receiver can also be mostly determined from personal preference but as you have a 2210, you may find some technical issues to resolve if you choose a BT receiver. If you don't like to tinker, then a wired Tomtom receiver is a good reliable 'plug & play' option that works exceptionally well and will not disappoint.

3. Choose your storage media carefully if you go for SD for your maps as this can have a huge effect on performance and user enjoyment to say the least. I would wholeheartedly recommend CF for your maps as a cheap and reliable option on the 2210, especially if you choose a BT receiver.

4. If you go for BT and you have other BT devices, then pay some attention to which Tomtom GPS version you use - v2.07 is a safe and reliable option that does everything required even though it goes against the grain to use an 'old' version.

5. On the software front - again, personal preference rules but make sure that you buy Sprite Backup in it's latest version and use it to make executable backup files on your storage media. Costs about £5 in it's 'light' version and is the best bargain in software.

6. If you are using your 2210 essentially for navigation, don't be tempted to put too much other software on it - keep 15 to 20mb free on program memory to run Tomtom.

7. Do a 'soft' reset before every navigation journey.

Hope that gets you going - good luck.

Regards,
Steve
Nissan Connect
MaLice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve999 wrote:
Hi there,

Recommend that you put a few hours aside and do some extensive research on these forums before you spend any cash at all.

Here are some of my personal starting points though:-

1. Check out the mounts pics in Members mounts - much depends on your own personal preferences. Simple can often be best.

ive been having a look about this fantastic site and have learnt alot, the mount i have been looking at is the haicom powered mount with gps mouse, its all in 1 so 1 wire within theory and is also amplified, as my car is a little noisey to say the least (renault clio with a turbo engine and straight through exhaust) so i thought a amplified mount would be the best ... and this 1 comes with a gps mouse... http://www.handtec.com/acatalog/HP_19_Series_Infrared_GPS_Solution_Inc_Mount_.html#a1_21283 for the direct link. [/B}

2. Choice of receiver can also be mostly determined from personal preference but as you have a 2210, you may find some technical issues to resolve if you choose a BT receiver. If you don't like to tinker, then a wired Tomtom receiver is a good reliable 'plug & play' option that works exceptionally well and will not disappoint.

i dont mind tinkering, actually quiete like it :D

3. Choose your storage media carefully if you go for SD for your maps as this can have a huge effect on performance and user enjoyment to say the least. I would wholeheartedly recommend CF for your maps as a cheap and reliable option on the 2210, especially if you choose a BT receiver.

[B] i have put a 1gb compact flah card in to the ipaq, had 1 laying about (im a photographer) so havent used the sd slot as yet.

4. If you go for BT and you have other BT devices, then pay some attention to which Tomtom GPS version you use - v2.07 is a safe and reliable option that does everything required even though it goes against the grain to use an 'old' version.

i wont be useing anyother bluetooth with it at all, dont really have a need to, regarding software, i was looking at tom tom 3 or copilot 5 so i guess wired gps would be better for this ??? as i dont wnat to be having to faff about really every time i go to use it

5. On the software front - again, personal preference rules but make sure that you buy Sprite Backup in it's latest version and use it to make executable backup files on your storage media. Costs about £5 in it's 'light' version and is the best bargain in software.

6. If you are using your 2210 essentially for navigation, don't be tempted to put too much other software on it - keep 15 to 20mb free on program memory to run Tomtom.

it was mainly for sat nav, however would store some photos on it as a mobile portfolio.

7. Do a 'soft' reset before every navigation journey.

okk will have to have a look at how to do that, i have a terible habbit of not reading manuals and just guessing Laughing Out Loud so will have a good read of that too.

Hope that gets you going - good luck.

Regards,
Steve

thanks for your help.[/b]
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not quite sure what technical issues you will need to resolve if you choose a BT receiver, I use one and don't have an issue with it other than occasionally forgetting to switch Bluetooth Manager on.
Once you get used to the setup, switching it all on is a breeze.

On the plus side, when out walking using Ordnance Survey maps the BT receiver is a boon as it does not drain the 2210 battery so I get a respectable 6+ hours of use out of it from a full charge. The only exception is heated/athermic windscreens which degrade the GPS signal.

If you do not intend to use your GPS anywhere other than in-car for street navigation then as Steve999 rightly says, wired is the simplest reliable option that wirks well.

Doing a 'soft' reset before every navigation journey is a little over the top but I guess it won't do any harm if you do.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
MaLice
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your help, i dont have a heat reflective screen so im ok, i think wired seems to be the way to go, or looking at a review on here the SD GPS receiver that plugs in to my free sd slot ?
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what technical issues you will need to resolve if you choose a BT receiver

I use a BT receiver, I love it and I, similar to icsys, just turn it on and go. Similarly, I had few problems in initially getting it going. However, many beginners who have posted on these forums have experienced huge difficulties with getting going satisfactorily with BT, especially when using Tomtom. I think it is perhaps helpful to make new users aware of what may lie in store for them - many prefer the simplistic approach.

Quote:
Doing a 'soft' reset before every navigation journey is a little over the top

I perhaps should have explained that the 2210 often keeps programs running in the background even when you think you have closed them. In the interests of keeping program memory free to run the navigation software, I and many other posters find the simplest way to do this is to do a 'soft' reset. It becomes part of a routine, takes only a few seconds, is a good habit and is by no means 'over the top'. (well - not for me anyway).

Sorry - can't help with the SD GPS device as I have no experience of it. I have had two Globalsat GPS devices however and have found them to be excellent, especially the BT-308 BT device.

Good luck,
Steve
Nissan Connect
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a lot of excellent material already in this thread - particularly from Steve999.

Mounts - be aware that the iPAQ h2210 has its speaker on the back. You may want an amplified mount - or at least one that doesn't obscure the speaker. I like the products from Brodit - both the mounts and the ProClips.

Memory cards - CompactFlash is recommended for maps on an iPAQ h2210, especially if using a Bluetooth GPS. SD seems to cause problems on many people's setups which cannot easily be overcome.

Sprite Backup - be aware that there's a cheap upgrade for those who have a built in iPAQ Backup. See here for details. I highly recommend Sprite Backup.

TomTom GPS - the very latest versions can be a bit less troublesome - some late 2.0x and early 3.0x versions really did cause problems. 2.07 is one option if it works for you, otherwise I'd go for 3.07 (which I'd always recommend for WM2003SE machines - though the 2210 isn't Second Edition). If you hit trouble using other applications with 3.07, there is a work-round.

Keeping plenty of memory spare is always a good idea - I try not to go below 30MBytes available for program memory on my hx4700. It helps that I've got a large iPAQ File Store where I can put much of my software (though a surprising amount has to go in main memory). There are some very large Pocket PC programs these days - TextMaker is one that comes to mind.

SDIO GPSes have proved disappointing for many - it seems that there's still compatibility issues, and I'd be worried about snapping off the top part of the GPS.

Finally - applications minimising. In Pocket PC, the X button in the top right minimises rather than closes an application. There is third party software available that allows you to change that to closing - which I prefer. I use Spb Pocket Plus to do this and various other tasks on my Pocket PC. It's commercial software, but it has a trial period and is inexpensive to register.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: