Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - P*&!*d off with TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

P*&!*d off with TomTom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: P*&!*d off with TomTom Reply with quote

Hello all
I have had TomTom now for 1 year and am not all that impressed with it, it keeps freezing, dropping the GPS signal and the traffic updates work 1 in 5 attempts. I am seriousely considering buying MN4 with TMC. I have a couple of questions.

I would like to hear from other TomTom users that also use MN4. How does MN4 compare to TomTom

I use the 2210, does it work ok with this hardware?

I currently have a TomTom installed onto two devices, is this possible with MN4.

If i just choose to buy the software at the moment will it work with a fortuna clip on? i know i wont get the TMC until i buy that piece of hardware.

I hope someone can answer my questions.

Thank you

Pete
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to use Navigon with TMC you need a different GPS receiver - Navigon use native TMC (via FM radio), TomTom emulate TMC via HTTP.

Other than that any GPS receiver will work with Navigon. THe same is tru for the Pocket PC platform - despite other claims it does work even on the old iPAQs 3630 etc.

What you will see, however, is quite some performance drop. I recon TomTom is twice as fast as Navigon to react to user input and to render the screen (the new TTN2004 is even faster)

From a functionality point of view Navigon is slightly superior to TomTom, due to it's modularity and API interface. You can customize Navigon to the extreme.

From a usabilty point of view Navigon is nowhere near TomTom. Goodbye finger taps, hello stylus. Navigon misses a lot of the visual cues that make TomTom so intuitive.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
PeteT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lutz,
Thank you for the reply. From your point of view which product would you go for?

If you had tomtom3 would you buy MN4or wait for tomtom2004?

Do you know if navigon can be installed on two devices?

Thank you

Pete
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Navigon cannot be installed on two devices.

I would do neither - I would stay with TomTom 3.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
RS2000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was recently using the Medion Navigation, but sold it to go for TTN3. What a mistake.
being a licensed taxi driver (not london) a useful feature is being able to tap in a town & street to get the approx distance from present location to destination. Which in turn allows me to price the journey. When i had the Medion, it was (sort of) rare for the system to get it wrong.

Now using the TTN3, it dont list Romford, Essex. Ilford, Essex, & a few other towns in Essex. Althought it will list smaller places, of about a 10th the size of Romford? It's ok if you know the postcode, it will then list the streets for Romford? & the rest of the UK.
Another thing i found with TTN3, when you enter like Waltham Cross, Hertfordshire. Then go to put in the street name, it seems to list the streets for the whole of the UK, rather than just listing the ones in Waltham Cross. This made me wonder why it bothers asking for a town name to be entered?

So now i've just bought Medion Nav 4.2 off ebay, i'll just be sticking with that from now on.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: P*&!*d off with TomTom Reply with quote

PeteT wrote:
Hello all
I have had TomTom now for 1 year and am not all that impressed with it, it keeps freezing, dropping the GPS signal and the traffic updates work 1 in 5 attempts.

I use TTN3 on a 2210 and have no such issues, are your maps on SD or CF? If SD then you will find it much much more stable if you move the maps to CF.
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i find this thread interesting. i am a usa tomtom user since they came out here and while there are many good things about the software i'm ready to switch. i've grown tired of the strange routes it provides. it has sent me up a road to turn around and go the other direction. it sometimes directs me to police access road along major interstates. also with tomtom i pick a destination and it selects a route. when i try to use alternate route and avoids but it never settles on my preferred route. it also lacks certain features that other software packages provide. no waypoints, no long routes. no more contacts linking. another gps site (that will remain nameless :D ) rates this one of the best routing options out right now for usa. i've held off making a purchase because i don't like the look of ocn's interface. there are quite a few options now with 3d maps and similar smooth looking finger icon interfaces that all look much better. i'm looking for something with a good interface like tomtom or iguidance with long distance maps, waypoints, some way to select road preferences (toll, no toll,avoid interstates, maybe even prefered routes.) i've read that ocn offers custom long route maps, some road selection options and some 3d views. i'm hoping with the custom map cutting i can cut a route and map a planned route then have the software incase i need to deviate from my original route. i would like to know what options others here would recommend for usa routing besides ocn or tomtom.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"preferred routes" is contrary to what navigation systems are about. If you are smarter than those systems then why do you use them?

You should consider ALK CoPilot or Mapopolis - those are the only other systems that have similiar levels of expert functions.

Most of your issues are caused by map errors - those are shared by all of the programs.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would just like a little more control over choosing my route over tomtom's choice. for example: i sometimes commute from nj to staten island via the goethals bridge. on the weekend the bridge has been closed for costruction back to nj. while trying to get an alternate route back home tomtom kept routing me to through brooklyn and manhattan rather than allow me to select one of the 2 other bridges that connect to nj. even as i was crossing the bridge tomtom told me to turn around when possible . when i finally hit the nj turnpike tomtom finally recovered it's senses and started a new route. i just want some options to select between route choices. i would have liked to be able to tell tomtom to create a route back home via the bayonne (sp?) bridge or outerbridge crossing rather than take to scenic route through nyc's other boroughs. i'm hoping waypoints or other options help making route choices a little more user controlled.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that you can use the itinerary mode. You can even save your itineraries, and then recall them depending on the current traffic situation.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
For that you can use the itinerary mode. You can even save your itineraries, and then recall them depending on the current traffic situation.

which product offers the itinerary mode? i've been reading up on so many products my brain is a little scrambled. thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both TomTom and OnCourse offer that feature.

If you are using TomTom USA 2.24 then you're outta luck. But I can send you the 2.34 version that has this implemented.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does the 2004 version offer this? i actually have it sitting on the shelf unopened because i figured i'd sell it with my old xda and tomtom wired package. after reading about features being left out of the upgrade i never bothered opening it upand installing it.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, doesn''t have that. My review covers this in more detail than you probably care ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
crash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the infomation. i have read your review. i guess i just glossed over the mention of itinerary mode since it wasn't included in the us versions. with that and the major roads map i'd be a happy tomtom customer instead of a future former customer. i'll keep reading on some of the other software options before i settle on ocn or another product. t anks again for your help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Handhelds All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: