Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 2210, bluetooth GPS & tomtom 3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 2210, bluetooth GPS & tomtom 3
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Ipaq 2210, bluetooth GPS & tomtom 3 Reply with quote

This is my first venture into PDA's and GPS, and it's not a good one.

I've just purchased an Ipaq 2210, bluetooth GPS & tomtom 3 as a deal. I was very disapointed with the lack of intructions on how to set it all up, anyway I eventualy sorted it all out.

The problem is, that it locks up after 2 or 3 miles, on one occasion it locked up - then started to work for a few seconds telling me to turn left on a piece of road I covered ten minutes previously.

I've tried hard resets, soft resets, reloaded the software umpteen times and it still doesn't work.

Also how do you turn the thing off? If I press the power it button it just goes dim.

Any help would be appreciated!
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds as if your installation has gone wrong. The PDA power button should turn it off.

Have you tried setting a route and running the TT demo mode?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try turning off POI display (for example, in map view, by tapping the 'sliders' icon at the bottom of the screen, then unselecting the POI box). Does that help any?

David
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David and Baldygo.

I've sent the unit away for a ROM upgrade as it's on version 1.0 (strange for a new unit?). Once thats done I can see how things work out.

I'm also concerned that I wont be able to reload tomtom 3, from what I've read on this forum it needs activating from tomtom. I've already reloaded it several times (after hard reboots) over 4 days so will it reload when I try again?

The other query I have concerns the tomtom software, bought as part of the bundle with a blutooth gps receiver but its not the bluetooth version, does this matter?

Thanks again guys.
nibs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ollie

i'm sorry to hear about your problems. I dont know if your using an SD card with your 2210 , but i had lock ups until i changed to a CF card , now its perfect.

I find to turn the unit off , do a quickpress of the off button. A longer press makes it dim , to restore from dim do a longer press.

Hope this helps

P.S i'm using ROM 1.10 so it might make a difference.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard resets make no difference to TomTom activation, nor should the ROM upgrade (I'm surprised you didn't do that yourself - it's easy enough so long as you follow the instructions on the HP web site exactly). Neither change the hardware ID of the Pocket PC, which is what TomTom activation uses. You can reactivate a machine already activated with your Product Code at any time with no waiting period.

The TomTom Navigator 3 software doesn't differ according to what GPS hardware it's bundled with; all copies of Navigator 3 should work with all GPSes.

Memory cards - some SD cards are problematic. If you post details of brand, size and type of card (SD or CompactFlash), together with any markings or codes on the back of the card, I may be able to figure out who the manufacturer is, or at least compare to types of cards I know have caused problems. There are far fewer manufacturers of SD cards than brands, and many of the brands change manufacturer from time to time.

For example, I have an Integral branded 512MB SD card that I know was made by Panasonic - that works perfectly in both my Pocket PCs. I've been testing an Integral "High Speed" 1GB SD card for Rob at ValueFlash, which is made by a manufacturer neither Rob nor I recognise from the markings.

The write speed of the 1GB card is very high, the read speed benchmarks are somewhat suspect in both my iPAQs. Experimentation earlier this week, with the same POI and map files on both memory cards, showed that the 1GB SD card was causing TomTom Navigator 3 to crash randomly in the Navigator screen on my iPAQ hx4700. Pulling over, soft resetting and changing to the 512MB SD card made Navigator completely stable.

Rob is going to get hold of a different 1GB SD card for me to try.

David
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still awaiting the return of the unit, supposed to be a 48 hour service - just coming up to 2 weeks!

I did try to upgrade the ROM direct from the HP site, this was on the advice of the company that I purchased the kit from, however everything locked up halfway through and I was stuffed.

The SD card I have is a 128mb RIDATA, this was supplied with the kit.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the failed ROM update. If the upgrade process dies half way through, it does tend to 'brick' the Pocket PC (that's the term usually used in these cases - as in 'render it as much use as a brick').

So far as the memory card goes, just because it was supplied with your bundle doesn't necessarily make it trouble free - though you could find that your machine works much better with the new ROM. If there's no codes or other markings on the card, there's not much chance of identifying the manufacturer.

Hopefully all works properly when you get the machine back from repair.

David
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally had the Ipaq back today after the ROM upgrade to V1.10.

Reinstalled everything including the maps onto the SD card, took several attempts before it would accept the whole file.

Took it out on the road, absolute rubbish - locks up after a mile or so. A soft reboot sorts it out, but I cant stop every mile or so to do that (I cover around 350-400 miles per day).

Found some microscopic numbers on the back of the SD card as follows; G41004145112 not sure if that means anything to the more informed?

The only thing that I can think of thats causing the problem may be settings between the BT GPS and the Ipaq, I have them set as Rikaline and COM8, since there was no instructions on what the settings should be, they were arrived at by trial and error.

So I'm afraid its back to the laptop and route 66 linked up to an elderly Garmin GPS12, which sort of defeats the object as I wanted something smaller.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1GB SD card that doesn't work in my iPAQ hx4700 has the same sort of markings - very small, portrait and at the bottom of the back of the card (if the gold contacts are at the top) - S41004706512 in my case. I think we're talking about the same (unknown) manufacturer.

Get a different SD card - the one you have is almost certainly malfunctioning in your iPAQ. If I change that card for a Panasonic made one that contains the same map data and POI files, everything works perfectly on my system.

Feel free to point the vendor of the bundle to this thread - a direct link is http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=13379

If you wish, 'name and shame' the vendor of the bundle for supplying an unsuitable SD card. I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you get this problem sorted out.

So far as the GPS settings go, I'd use "NMEA 0183v2 Bluetooth" as the top setting - and whichever COM port works on your setup now as the bottom setting. However, I can't see this making any difference.

David
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ollie i thought id wait and see how you went on hopfully this should help please try it first turn off the ifra red via the connections tab next thing is remove and reinstall tom tom from the cd once its in there try changing the driver to 2.07 or 2.09 then in the properties menu got the poi menu right at the top of the screen is a check box that says show poi uncheck this if this doesn't work then get storage tools from downloads section the gps drivers are there too. reformat the sd card then reinstall the map to the sd card if the card is still playing up then go for an cf or mmc card generally the cf cards seem to work better in 2210's than sd cards id advise 256 but you will be able to run it from a 128mb card this approch worked in both my freinds and his fathers 2210's it took me all day but i got em working in the end a little paiteience is all thats needed or as you now have the hardware may be try a different progam if tt wont work hope this helps an my stylus is burnt out

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All valid advice - but the SD card mentions is, in my experience, bad. The 1GB one I have sounds as if it does just the same in my iPAQ hx4700 as Ollie's 128MB in his iPAQ h2210.

David
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your advice guys, I've finally got everything working without any 'lock up's' (so far!) :D

I changed the 128 SD card for a CF 256 card, had the 2210's rom upgraded, got rid of POI's, though I suspect the primary culprit was the SD card - why do vendor's include these in a package if they're known to cause so many problems? Confused

Although I've got everything working I will certainly be looking towards a self contained Garmin unit in the future, something I can just turn on and go without all the faffing about of a PDA.

For the ammount of money spent on this system I could have bought a Garmin in the first place - great thing hindsight Sad . £415 + £10 p&p for the 2210, BT GPS and SD 128m SD card, £25 for the ROM upgrade after it 'bricked' and another £20 for the CF card - £470 in total Exclamation

For the cost of this I would have expected instructions on how to set it all up - zilch. Ok if your a computer boff, but Im not. One more thing, the serial number start's with TWC, have I been sold a dodgy import Question
Ollie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say - tomtom 3 included in deal....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had very limited success when using SD cards for map data on my 2210. Never had any issues with CF regardless of make and size and so always use CF for the map data and SD for .mp3s and other stuff.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: