Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Observations on TomTom and Destinator
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Observations on TomTom and Destinator

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bodo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Observations on TomTom and Destinator Reply with quote

Having recently upgraded to TomTom 3 (3.07) from Destinator 3, I am finally a happy bunny. 8)
I purchased Destinator 3 in the USA in December (USA version) together with a European map set.
Unfortunately the European maps at that stage were for Destinator 2, which made the roundabout problem much worse. Verbal instructions were always to “Turn left” followed by “Turn Left”. Even if I was meant to “Turn Right at the roundabout”.
Another problem with my Destinator 2 maps and Destinator 3 software were some very interesting routing decisions. Even though Destinator was set to “fastest route”, it sometimes sent me down the most wonderful tracks! Thanks to Destinator, I have seen many beautiful spots in England where nobody goes – a real bonus. Unfortunately these routes always take very much longer.
PowerLoc showed no interest in upgrading my European maps for me. Embarassed And the various TomTom users whetted my appetite for additional POIs, Post Code lookup and all the other niceties that are available to them.
I have recently taken the step and changed to TomTom with Great Britain maps. What a difference! Much better graphics, things like CheckPOInt, full Post Code searching and of course, PocketGps World’s database of safety cameras.
Now for some observations that I have made.

Mapping:
My current address does not exist on the latest TomTom maps (just a pink area with no roads (Grove Close in Epsom, KT19 7NN).
Destinator 2 maps do however know where that is. Even my standby (Garmin eMap with MapSource maps of 2001 vintage) knows where this is. Rolling Eyes

Routing
TomTom is far more inclined to keep me on a Motorway than Destinator was. To change TomTom from anything but the “fastest” route is quite difficult. This may have a severe impact on my sight-seeing – who knows, I might run Destinator and TomTom side by side for this purpose. Twisted Evil

3D mapping
I don’t particularly like it with either product – I usually use 2D mapping

Speed Limits
Destinator had the option to warn me when I exceeded the speed limit for any given road. Except that it thought the speed limit was 30 on the M4 to M25 interchange. TomTom does not seem to have this feature built into their maps – but I at least get a verbal warning when I approach a camera – no matter what speed I travel at.

Database of Safety Cameras
This is probably the most impressive and useful POI that I have loaded into TomTom.
Is it possible to re-issue it according to the speed limit of the roads? This will make it easier to adjust the verbal warning – or possibly even eliminate it if below the limit.

:D Thank to all at PocketGPS World – you do have the best GPS related site.
I wish you (and all your contributors) a Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year :D

Bodo
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bodo,

Bodo wrote:
Is it possible to re-issue it according to the speed limit of the roads? This will make it easier to adjust the verbal warning – or possibly even eliminate it if below the limit.

Richard (Oldie), our Camera Database Administrator, has for some time now, been recording the speed limit of the cameras in addition to their location. Depending on your version of CheckPOInt you may see an “@” sign after the camera’s id number. This signifies the speed limit.

We still have some way to go until all of the cameras have a speed limit assigned to them. At this point (or close to it) Richard is hoping to issue separate databases grouped by speed limit. You can then set up Checkpoint to warn you only if you exceed the recorded speed of the camera.

Please help us to compile an up-to-date database by emailing Richard with the speed limits of all cameras that you come across that have not got their speed limit recorded.

You can send all updates (speed limits, new cameras, removed cameras, etc) to Richard at:

Cameras [at] PocketGPSWorld [dot] com

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: