Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting PDA + GPS + USB HDD ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting PDA + GPS + USB HDD ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichardC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Connecting PDA + GPS + USB HDD ? Reply with quote

Hello (waves),

I am looking to invest in a few pieces of kit for my car, but before I decide on anything I am after some advice.

What I am looking to do is have a PDA as the main device and to do a few additional things with it. GPS navigation is joint top of the list along with using it as an MP3 player. I am looking at going for the toysRus Yakumo GPS and Pocket PC (currently at £279.99).

Q. can the Yakumo or any other PDA connect directly to a USB Hard drive? I have a 20Gb freecom External drive and if I can find a way of connecting it to the PDA, then I can put all my MP3s on it and use a mediaplayer on the PDA to control it. Is this possible and has anyone successfully done it? This would obviously save me from having to buy a dedicated MP3 player. I understand this may require aditional drivers and/or cables, but can it be done?

If I can overcome this hurdle, I will then be looking at datalogging software http://www.espautomotive.com/trolleyed/6/index.htm as my car is also a showcar and has been slighly modified (!) so again, has anyone used this with the Yakumo or any other PDA.

hope my mainderings make sense to someone out there.

cheers,
Rich
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

to connect an external USB hard disk your PDA needs to have a USB host connector alongside the USB client. As far as I know only a small number of Toshiba PDAs have that USB host port.

Even so you may still end up with no connection because you may need an additional driver to logically include the hard disk into the PDA's file system

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
RichardC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that reply, since posting, I have also been surfing around and have come across this

http://www.ratocsystems.com/english/products/subpages/cfu1u.html

I havent looked in to it yet, but it looks promising

Rich
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are usually expensive and not worth paying for it unless you must use it have no other alternative.

For the price (actually I do not know how much) you might as well get yourself an iPod or similar if MP3 is all you use the HD for.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that makes more sense. You may even be able to find a CF ATA card. (so you can connect the hard drive directly)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: