Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator and Dell Axim X50v
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator and Dell Axim X50v

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: TomTom Navigator and Dell Axim X50v Reply with quote

Hi,

A simple question: does anyone here know if TTN3 + BT GPS works with the Dell Axim X50v (the one with 3.7" VGA screen)?

Ta.
Neil
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The software should be fine so long as you upgrade to GPS 3.07 and Navigator 3.07 (or 3.07T if you use Traffic). These versions are intended for WM2003SE machines and work correctly on my VGA WM2003SE iPAQ hx4700. GPS 3.07 is a VGA application, Navigator 3.07 sadly is not.

There have been reports of Bluetooth flakiness in the forums on one of the newer Dells - I believe it was the X30. I have no idea whether the X50v shares this problem; the Bluetooth is solid on my hx4700, but that uses a different Bluetooth setup to the Axims if I remember rightly.

I'm certainly very glad I upgraded to a VGA machine. The only unsolved problem is that hardware buttons don't work in GPSAssist - I'm not sure whether that's a hx4700 issue or a WM2003SE issue.

Finally - is your signature out of date, or are you really still using Navigator 3.04T? TomTom dropped Traffic support for older Traffic aware versions of Navigator last month.

David
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. It's a shame Navigator isn't a VGA app (yet).

Neil
(profile updated!)
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil

My X50v is still on order from Dell so if you already have one consider me jealous.

Brummy
NMatthew
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't have one, I'm just considering it at the moment. BrummieGit (nice handle!), would you please post your experiences with compatability with TomTom when you get it. Ta.

Neil
BrummyGit
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMatthew wrote:
No, I don't have one, I'm just considering it at the moment. BrummieGit (nice handle!), would you please post your experiences with compatability with TomTom when you get it. Ta.

Neil

I might even let you play with it next time I see you - assuming it ever turns up Wink
taffy056
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a Dell X50 (if that helps) with TomTom Navigator and TomTom bluetooth, there have been no problems so far, and the bluetooth is showing no signs of flakiness.

taffy
WSquared
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the x50v and TomTom 3 Bluetooth this week. 8)
I made a slight mistake during install. The package now comes with an "Update CD". I assumed that this was just the 2003 SE Patch. Instead, it is the complete TT3 install with the patch built in. So, use the Update CD to install TT on the x50 rather than the TomTom CD. (In my haste, I didn't notice the small writting on the back of the update CD that says to use that CD first!)

Anyway, it now seems to work fine. TomTom even somehow starts the BT connection to the TT GPS rcvr automatically, assuming BT is turned on on the PDA. Also, you can plan a route without having the GPS rcvr connected over bluetooth. (No annoying messages as I have seen in posts about the some ipaqs). Just set your destination, then you get a message that your current GPS location is unreliable with an option to select your start point as one of your favorite locations. It then calculates the route.

I'm still waiting for the x50 seidio mount to come out to really start using the x50v/TT combo to its full potential.

Being new to bluetooth devices, it took me a while to realise that I wanted all my bluetooth connections to be in the same "default" profile, rather than different profiles. I now have 3 bluetooth connections configured in the default profile. BT GPS, activesync to computer, and to mobile phone for GPRS connection. It's the activesync connection that gives me the most problems. Short of deleting and recreating the activesync connection, sometimes I have to do a soft reset to get the PDA to connect and then sync.

Well, I hope somebody finds this post useful since it is my first post here.

Cheers,
William
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome

Your post looks very useful to me. As you say, it's usually best to put all your Bluetooth connections into the Default settings - unless you have several separate setups, such as a work Bluetooth setup and a personal Bluetooth setup that are used totally separately.

In the Bluetooth settings on my iPAQ hx4700, I have an ActiveSync link to my main PC (useful for setting up new partnerships - though usually I synchronise over Wi-Fi as it's faster), a File Transfer link to my old iPAQ h3970 for exchanging files, the serial link to my Bluetooth GPS, the dial-up networking link to my phone and the link to my Nokia HDW-2 headset (which really doesn't work that well - but that's the HDW-2's fault). There's no point moving any of these into a different profile.

You followed the instructions correctly - the small writing tells you to install the software from the update CD, then the maps from the main CD. In practice, if you've finished up with GPS 3.07, Navigator 3.07 and the maps installed, and everything is activated, you're ready to go give or take a mount.

David
ifb-online
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: x50v with TTN3 works fine Reply with quote

For me using a Fortuna Clip On GPS, as recommended by Dave instead of the TomTom hardware. Only puzzle not yet solved is powering both the x50v and GPS as the dual-connector lead supplied with the GPS isn't powerful enough to feed both it and the x50v off the USB car/cigar lighter adapter.

I bought a third party x50 USB USB car/cigar lighter adapter and this seems to work even though I have seen discussions elsewhere to the contrary (someone said the x50 and x60v have different pin-outs).

So it's a shame I'll need a dual cigarette lighter splitter even though the GPS has the two power connectors.

Ian
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most Pocket PCs take quite a lot of current - I know iPAQ chargers are rated at 2A, which is far in excess of any USB charger I've ever come across.

I've got a cigarette lighter 'doubler' buried in my dashboard connected to a cigarette lighter socket connected to my carphone loom. The power adapter of my Brodit active mount is in one socket of the doubler, and a USB charger in the other.

If you want a charger for the GPS that you leave the car, you could by this from Expansys. I know it's described as for an iPAQ 3660, but ignore that - it's the right connector for a Clip On and most other Bluetooth GPSes.

I just wanted a USB cable with one connector to bury in my dash (I didn't want to use a car charger with a coiled cable), and was going to use the Fortuna car charger. However, Expansys are selling this bundle cheaper than the cable by itself! I don't much rate the mains charger, not least as the live and neutral pins on the UK plug are not well shrouded (it is CE marked, but I'm not sure such a plug is legal, as I thought the pins now have to be half shrouded by law). Even if I throw the mains charger away, I'm still winning!

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: