Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another TomTom bug!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another TomTom bug!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Another TomTom bug! Reply with quote

I was driving around without the navigation off but TomTom just tracking me today, in Hide Map mode, and most of the locations it was giving me were incorrect!!!

I drove through part of Broughton (which is in Salford, Manchester) and in brackets after Broughton, it displayed "The Vale of Glamorgan". Then I was in Salford town centre itself (still in Manchester!) and TomTom displayed "Oxfordshire" in brackets. Flixton, (In Trafford, Manchester) is displayed as in Suffolk. Carrington, just around the corner from Flixton is said to be in Midlothian, but then Urmston which is right next to Flixton is displayed correctly as Trafford.

Strange thing is all these locations are displayed correctly in the Address finder!!

I've noticed this before now, with the odd location wrong, such as St Helens in Merseyside being displayed as Staffordshire, even with Version 2, but I never realised it was this bad!

The only reason I think I'm still using TomTom is because of Niels Thomsen's excellent postcode program, which I use for setting a navigation far more than the built in tomtom address finder.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That problem is an old one - certainly dating back to the release of Navigator 2. It may have affected Navigator 1, but I never used Navigator 1.

It only affects those times when Navigator displays a place name - as you say, the address lookup functions work correctly. The place name itself is correct, but any qualifier in brackets is often garbage - it can just as easily be another place with the same name in the database. The results tend to be consistent - which means, if they're wrong, they're consistently wrong.

For example, seeing Marylebone (Wigan) when you're in London is usual with Navigator 3. Marylebone is correct - but Wigan is garbage.

TomTom could easily fix this by not displaying the bracketed part of the name - though I have no idea why this problem occurs in the first place. You can navigate perfectly well - annoying as this is, it's only a cosmetic bug.

I don't know whether or not this problem affects the NavCore based TomTom products - if it doesn't, then it will almost certainly be fixed the next version of Navigator on the Pocket PC, as TomTom have indicated that they're switching to their NavCore "common platform" code on all their products.

David
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom already know about this problem, they said its related to their mapping data and that a few towns that share the same names have become mixed up. In their own words "There will be a map update early next year, at this moment we do not know exactly when it will take place, followed by the standard "We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction." :D Can't complain though, its not exactly a serious bug. I finally saw Navigon 4 running on a friends Pocket PC the other day, in my opinion, even with its bugs, TT3 is a far superior package.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: