Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mounting solutions for TomTom car kit in a Vectra
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mounting solutions for TomTom car kit in a Vectra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:57 am    Post subject: Mounting solutions for TomTom car kit in a Vectra Reply with quote

Hi

After a few weeks of browsing and gathering information from the site, which incidently is a fantastic resource for anyone new to PDA and GPS navigation, I have taken the plunge and gone for my GPS solution.

I went for an Ipaq 2210 with TomTom Navigator 3 and the TomTom wired GPS and TomTom car kit.

However I'd like some advice/info on how anyone else has fitted the TomTom car kit in their car (I'm fitting it in a 2001 Vectra if that helps).

I'd prefer to fit it on the right hand side of the car and was looking at using a Brodit Proclip (which is on order, but not here yet) over the top of the air vent and mounting the TomTom holder to it. However when the car kit arrived today, it's not quite as fleible as I thought it might be unless you use the suction mount, which I'd rather not do as I don't really think it is a neat solution long term.

The query I have is, if I mount the cradle direct onto the Proclip, will it be sufficiently angled towards the driver to see. I have seen other mounts, eg Brodit's own, which have a swivel back to them to allow them to be angle up/down and left/right.

I understand that TomTom car kits used to have these in, but mine doesn't (as per the description on TomTom's website). Does anyone know if/where they can be got from and are they required for best screen positioning, or have any suggestions as to how they mounted theirs to best effect?

Thanks

Calum
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure this is going to help, but here goes...

In my 2000 Vectra I've used a Brodit ProClip over the central air vents, connected to a Brodit holder with swivel. Looking at the Brodit site the two clips are very similar, so I suspect you will need some form of swivel mount to help out (else I think the angle will be wrong as you comment), however, if you look at the Brodit website you will find they sell the swivel mount on its own (213019). Although I couldn't quickly find a UK dealer with this item on their website, they may be able to order it from the UK distributor if you ring them and ask.

You may find an old style TomTom Car Kit on ebay - they appear from time to time.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try HandNav - they can get just about any Brodit part, though there may be a couple of weeks delay if they don't hold it in stock
Robin
CalumLawson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks to you both for your info. Even better I have since seen that Neil Richards has posted picture of the very same combination of TomTom cradle and Brodit swivel in the Readers Mounts section, so good to know that it will fit together. I'll be on the phone to Handnav tomorrow morning. Failing that if it is too long delivery, celustar (makers of the smartclip reviewed elsewhere on the site) also do one.

Thanks

Calum

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: