Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - V3.07 can't find map on SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

V3.07 can't find map on SD card
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colinsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: V3.07 can't find map on SD card Reply with quote

I have just downloaded and installed 3.07 on top of 3.01 and now TTŁ can't find my maps on SD card. Any bright ideas it worked perfectly before I upgraded. (Toshiba e750, 259mb Sandisk SD card & Rikaline wired GPS).

TIA

Colin
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got TomTom Wizard installed, remove that from your Pocket PC (Start menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on TomTom Wizard, and tap Remove), then try running TomTom Navigator from your Start Menu. Does it work then?

I've never been able to get things working with TomTom Wizard installed.

David
Colinsp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:41 am    Post subject: V3.07 can't find map on SD card Reply with quote

David

Thanks tried that and it stopped working altogether. I have gone back to 3.0 and it works but if I remove the wizard that also stops working Question I think I'll stick with 3.0, I was hoping the upgrade would stop me having to do a soft reset everytime that I use TT3 Confused

Colin
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I have no problems with 3.07 if the maps are in the root directory of my storage card. If, however, I have TomTom Wizard installed, Navigator can't find the maps.

Sorry I can't be of any further help.

David
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are cases where second hand, downloaded and car boot sale versions of TomTom will not find the maps after an upgrade. On these versions the MAPNAME.MID files have been tampered with and the executable modified to ignore the tampering. When an upgrade with a clean executable is installed, this will no longer recognise the tampered MID file.

Another problem is when the wizard cannot find the map files, this brings up a full sized screen showing a picture of the installation screen as seen on the PC with a red drawn circle ringing the "install maps" button and text saying "You need to load a map....." along with a red checkered banner with "OK" beneath it. This happens due to the shortcut calling another file (wizard) which calls the TomTom executable. If you create a shortcut directly to the "TomTom Navigator.exe" file in the "program files\navigator" directory which should be about 1.51MB in size, this will work. However if you call the shortcut "TomTom Navigator", TomTom will delete this shortcut next time it runs. You have to rename the shortcut with an extra space or some other minor change.

If TomTom Navigator really cannot find a map it brings up a different small dialogue box with the text "No maps found, please install and activate an original TomTom Navigator 3 map first"

I have also heard of earlier versions of the wizard, renaming the original "TomTom Navigator.exe" to another name and adding another smaller executable that is meant to run it and calling it "TomTom Navigator.exe". You can spot this by seeing that the size of the file is not around 1.5MB and a 1.5MB file with a similar name. If this happens rename the files such that the 1.51MB is "TomTom Navigator.exe" and the smaller one as something else.
Zeena
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it is simpler than that...

If I make a softreset on my PDA with the SD-card in the slot, I will get the same error message.

This is what I need to do:
Remove the card from the slot and then make a softreset.
Put the card back to place and everything is OK. :D

--maybee the solution--
ccb234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same message - strikes me that Tomtom have a pretty fundamental problem here. Have tried the solution suggested but it does not work.

I have a Dell axim - is the problem more widespread than this?
ccb234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be boring - and to add to it have tried to ring Tomtom (no luck) and contacted supplier (GPSK on ebay) (no response). Emailed Tomtom (no response) - customer satisfaction level very low.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccb234 - I can't track down the eBay seller (I was trying to get an idea of the price paid and the description to see whether the software was likely to be legitimate or pirate), and I'm afraid this can be the peril of buying on eBay. If you buy from one of the major retailers in this market, you have their support people available to you.

As I said earlier in the thread, with the map data in the root directory of the storage card, I've had no problems with any version of TomTom Navigator 3 on both my Pocket PCs - so long as I don't have TomTom Wizard installed.

David
pppnick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad
I get this (and other problems) as well.

I have just upgraded to TTN3.07, the latest TTTraffic and Checkpoint 3.2 on my XDAII
What a complete disaster!!

1. I often get the map not being found on the 1 Gb SD (is the XDA ok with this size?). When I go into start>settings>system>memory>storage card it shows my SD as being completely full.
I remove the SD card and it is recognised Ok and TT starts up Ok.

2. TT traffic collects data the first time TTNav it starts but on the recheck (every 10 mins) the GPRS call freezes or cannot dial to the TT server.
This requires a soft reset but is totally useless on the move.
At this point I have also tried reactivating my traffic account and it still freezes.

I have rolled back Checkpoint to 2.0.2 and the Traffic problem appears to be cured ( I am still testing it)- hurrah.

So now I'm just left with the SD map problem.

Nick
pppnick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Forgot to say that the other problem has happened ever since I started using Traffic.
I don't get the "time to destination", "arrival time" and "dist to dest" entries on the Nav screen even though they are selected.

These problems and two failures of the cable connector into the XDA make me wonder why I bought such a low quality product.

Nick
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problems are reminscent of those I got with the 1GB Integral "High Speed" SD card I was testing for Rob at ValueFlash in my iPAQ hx4700.

TomTom Navigator just wasn't stable with maps on that storage card - I never saw the SD card report itself as full, but I did get random crashing whilst I was navigating - sometimes provoked by a Traffic download, sometimes just whilst I was driving along. Panning around in map view was awfully slow as well.

Putting the same map and POI files on my Panasonic made 512MB SD card made all the problems go away.

The problem in your second post - it's a Traffic thing. I forget what the menu option is called, but you have to hide the route summary to see those things alongside a map - there just isn't enough room on screen. They do appear on the safety screen, though, even when you have the route summary on the left.

David
ccb234
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a genuine product from a reputable supplier (called pdagb on ebay). It has been activated electronically by Tomtom. I think this is a problem for tomtom. I have removed the wizard and the navigator will not start. Have reloaded everything twice and the maps.

As a beginner I do not know how to create a short cut as set out above - very frustrated.
pppnick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David,
Am sending an email to that black hole at TT - I'll what happens.

Nick
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just try and run the application by clicking on it within file explorer in the program files\navigator directory. Make sure you click the file sized 1.51MB.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: