Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Handheld GPS with realtime tracking?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld GPS with realtime tracking?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Handheld GPS with realtime tracking? Reply with quote

Hi, first time poster! :D

I love to hike, i try to get into the woods about 2 times a week. I usually try to aim for about 20+ miles a day.

So anyway, i been meaning to track my distances. I tryed it with a friends old GPS and it was a disaster. Unless i get new GPS location everytime i make a turn (since some of the trail is mountain bike single track) i get a distance that is way off from what it should be. I know this because i tried it on a trail that has distance markers.

So what i'm looking for is a Handheld GPS or some other tracking device that doesn't weight too much or doesn't cost an arm or a leg. (i need them for hiking)

Is there a GPS that will get the coordinates on its own at a preset interval. Maybe if it would update every second or so, it would enable me to map and track and get the distance of my hikes. I also make maps for some of the places i hike, and it would really help make them more accurate.

Please let me know if there is such a thing. (I thought about vehilce tracking, but them things are wayyyyyyy tooo heavy and too expensive.)

Thank you,

Ronin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you probably need is the RoyalTek RBT 3000. It's a Bluetooth GPS and a datalogger and can be configured for recording data once a second if you require it ot once every 5 or 10 secs etc.

It'll do it automatically when it switches on and obtains a sat lock, you can program it before hand to either stop logging when the buffer fills up or to overwrite it. You can then download the data log later via a PPC or PC using Bluetooth and it'll be a text file with lots of NMEA data in.

You'd somehow need to format this into more meaningful formats to use with other applications, -or- use the RoyalTek Blue GPS app on the PC or PDA, to re-play the data and pipe it to the application of your choice to see your tracks being plotted across the screen.

Review is here
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/royaltekrbt3000.php
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using the DeLorme Blue Logger for this kind of tasks. It's not a handheld device though, so you will need a desktop computer (with Bluetooth) to download the waypoints). But it has extensive tracking options that should be good for what you want to achieve.

(By the way, GPS info is produced at 1s intervals by default, you need very expensive equipment to get higher time resolution)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Ronin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically the DeLorme Blue Logger will start tracking its own position at regular intervals when its on, but in order to actually see the information, i would have to upload the information to a PC? So its a GPS with no user interface.

I'm gonna go and find some detailed specs on both of them, thanks for the help.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Handheld GPS with realtime tracking? Reply with quote

Ronin wrote:
Hi, first time poster! :D

Is there a GPS that will get the coordinates on its own at a preset interval. Maybe if it would update every second or so, it would enable me to map and track and get the distance of my hikes. I also make maps for some of the places i hike, and it would really help make them more accurate.

Welcome!

Check out Garmin's GPS units. They have a nice trip computer on them which will measure distance, speed etc and it also records a track log of where you went so you can load it into your PC when you get home.

The main drawback is that you can't load scanned maps into the GPS to display a moving map. You need to buy Garmin's maps which don't show any detail other than the roads. (An exception to this is the USA topo maps - where are you based?)

You can get a mount like this http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/rambikemount.php to put the GPS on your bike.

Ronin wrote:
Is there a GPS that will get the coordinates on its own at a preset interval. Maybe if it would update every second or so, it would enable me to map and track and get the distance of my hikes.

I am puzzled by this statement. Pretty much all GPS units should be able to do this. Are you sure you were using the GPS correctly and you had it in a position where it had a good view of the sky?

Good luck!
Ronin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the last question was about the GPS i used that belonged to my friend. I'm not even sure it if was a "real" GPS. It was big, and it had a small ¼ inch cable from the main unit, which i carried in the backpack come upfront with a small handle that had 3 buttons. 1 turned it on and off, the 2nd one would mark my position at that time and the 3rd one, well, it didn't work. The unit was rather heavy and big, the main box needed to be carried in the backpack.

I called my buddy yesterday and ask if he still had it, so i could get the model or brand name. He said it stopped working about 2 month ago and he sold it at a garage sale. Same place he bought it.

As far as to the diff. models. I don't really care if it will track my hiking route right there on the screen for me in real time. If i have to go home and can upload the information and lay it over a map that is plenty for me. I mean i know where i start, i know what major rivers, roads, i cross, so lining it up with a map that doesn't have any marks other then the main streets shouldn't be too hard. The starting point is usually at a main street, and i can use a compass to find out my initial heading.

Thanks again for all the great help you guys provided!

Thumbs Up Happy :D
wibbly
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Garmin GPS V? I happen to have one for sale in the Wanted/For Sale topic here ;-)

Anyway, you can set it to a record interval of 'automatic' with one of a number of reloution values, or based on fixed time intervals, or fixed distance intervals. You can make the recording wrap or stop when the buffer is full & the spec says the number of tracklog points is 3000

The case is fully gasketed, high-impact plastic alloy, waterproof to IEC 529 IPX7 standards, so it might be good at delivering what you're after.

The features of it's 'trip computer' may also be of use in giving you an overview of the data you can later extract from the log detail.

John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: