Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS newbie having POI problems.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS newbie having POI problems.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woolie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: GPS newbie having POI problems. Reply with quote

Hopefully someone can help. I have a HP Ipaq 3715 PDA and a Belkin bluetooth GPS receiver.
I downloaded the TomTom version 3.1 with my included and paid for extra pointspaq, but it doesn't give me the option to select my GPS receiver from the dropdown list.
Also I have been trying to play about with POIWarner2 too to get more POI overlays, especially the speedcam ones etc seeing as I have subscribed for this service. But have had no joy, I can now select and setup my POI but it wont sync with TomTom as it says it is unable to open the exe file.
Now using the Belkin navigation which came with the GPS receiver has no problems except that the available overlays, POI are naff hence I wanted to try TomTom and POI warner.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever TomTom product you've got from iPAQ Choice will be an old one - both CityMaps and RoutePlanner are pretty poor to be honest. I don't know why they're still on there.

That said, you should be able to get whatever you've got going with the latest version of TomTom GPS, which can be got from support.tomtom.com

David
Woolie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice.
What I have downloaded from HP Ipaq choice is Tom Tom UK Routeplanner 3.1.
Not sure whether I done the right thing, I visited the support.tomtom.com
Updated to navigator 3.7, but now when I run it it says "cannot determine location of maps", which are installed in the default directory.
I just seem to be getting know where with this.
Anyone know if there is any POI overlays that will work with Belkin Navigation software, as atleast I can get that to work.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use Navigator 3.07 with the map data you have. You need to use the (IMHO antique) RoutePlanner software.

Uninstall TomTom GPS from your iPAQ, download and install TomTom GPS 3.07 and see if things work then.

David
Woolie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK have installed tomtom GPS 3.07 but I don't see my GPS receiver (Belkin Bluetooth GPS receiver) on the list, which is the problem I had before, if you know one that is on the list which is similar let me know.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember rightly, the Belkin is a rebadged Fortuna Clip On - I'm right if the GPS has an ST / XT switch.

For SiRF based Bluetooth GPSes such as the Clip On, the best setting is TomTom Wireless GPS; that allows the TomTom software to configure the GPS output to its requirements and for "Reset GPS to this location" hints when the GPS won't fix to work.

For other Bluetooth GPSes, use NMEA 0183v2 Bluetooth.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: