Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Checkpoint not seeing overlay files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Checkpoint not seeing overlay files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TerryT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint not seeing overlay files Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

Newbie here Smile

I have a Mitac Mio 168 running Tomtom 3.01, Checkpoint 3.2 using the pocket gps speed camera db. Everything works fine if I switch on the PPC via the power button, and start Checkpoint. If I start the PPC via a hard button shortcut (which turns the PPC on and opens Checkpoint/tomtom) Checkpoint doesn't see the overlay files (nothing under the overlay settings/not sync'd).

Is this a bug? It kinda makes the Checkpoint hard button shortcut useless now Sad
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do things work if you turn on the Pocket PC, wait a few seconds, then press the hardware button to start up CheckPOInt?

If so (as I suspect they will), the problem is that the memory card in the Pocket PC that contains the overlays isn't powering up quickly enough. This is a known limitation of much if not all Pocket PC hardware.

David
TerryT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the button shortcut works if the PPC is already switched on. I thought it might've been the SD card as well but Tomtom can see the maps which is also on it Question
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom Navigator takes sufficiently long to start up that I suspect, by then, the memory card is powered up and ready.

The answer is to press the power button, wait a second or two, then press the button to start CheckPOInt. This issue is why certain software (such as Today Screen plugins) has to be in main memory and not on the storage card.

To keep the storage card(s) powered up all the time would be an unacceptable drain on the Pocket PC's battery.

David
TerryT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Do you think it would make any difference if I used PoiPlace to download the poi's instead?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt it - unless POIplace POIs go in main memory. I can't remember and can't easily check. I never much liked CheckPOInt version 3, preferring instead to stick with version 2.0.2, and these days I use GPSAssist anyway.

I think the issue is simply that you're starting a program that tries to access data on your memory card before the memory card hardware is powered up and ready.

David
TerryT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll just have to turn the PPC on first, thanks David Smile

I might give Poiplace a try anyway for the speed rated cameras if anything else.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: