Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problems installing TomTom3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems installing TomTom3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:24 am    Post subject: Problems installing TomTom3 Reply with quote

Hi

I have TomTom 2 running on a Compaq HP3970 IPAQ and I have got the instal/upgrade disc from TomTom for TomTom 3 but when I go to "Install TomTom Navigator" it goes through to the last screen that says "Please check your mobile device screen to see if additional steps are necessary to complete this installation" I then look on the IPAQ screen and a Window is there that says

File in use

The file
"\Windows\ttgpseng.exe" is in use or is in ROM, if the file is not in ROM, please close the application using the file.

Try again?

YES NO CANCEL

So...................what do I do next??
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It could be that your TT2 is still running in the background as the file apears to be your GPS engine running.

Before the installation procedure, either do a soft reset or go to 'Memory' and close all programs. Then try again.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve999 wrote:
Hi,

It could be that your TT2 is still running in the background as the file apears to be your GPS engine running.

Before the installation procedure, either do a soft reset or go to 'Memory' and close all programs. Then try again.

Steve

Cheers Steve

I will try that and post the results
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into the memory and stopped all running programs although interestingly TomTom Navigator 2 or 3 was not one of them but

No change at install I get the same message. Sad
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does this exe file actually do?
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry - been out all day.

The file is your GPS engine and starts the GPS Status screen. When you receive the message, have you tried looking for the GPS Status screen and closing it or look in running programs and see if it is running at that time and closing it? Following this, then click 'Yes' to try again.

In your previous setup did you have GPS start automatically in any way. Check in your Startup folder in the Windows directory. If there is a GPS file in there, it may be the cause of your problems - try shifting it out at least until you have completed your update.

I've not personally seen this happen before so I guess there may be something in your previous set up causing it.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Fangio18
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previously I would have the main desktop and in the bottom right hand corner there would be the "Blue Square" for Bluetooth and a "Brown" sateliite symbol for the GPS. To start it up I would do this:

1: Tap the blue square and turn on the bluetooth radi
2: Tap onto Bluetooth manager and connect to the device
3: Click on the brown GPS symbol and put a tick in the top left hand corner box
4: A bleep would then sound
5: The brown symbol changes to silver
6: Start
7: TT Navigator

And I am in!

Now I have upgraded I get:The TOM TOM NAVIGATOR symbol come up automatically on the start menu.

Now I follow steps 1-5 but then just tap on the TOMTOM NAVIGATOR icon on the desktop so I no longer need to go into Start.

I guessing that perhaps it should work as steps 1-2 and then the GPS bleeps and works automatically and then just tap on TT Nav symbol, yes?

So is the way in whixch you describe a way to get it to do this and if so (dunce I know) but how do I find that start folder?
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Sorry - been out all day again. The sun doesn't shine too often in Lincolnshire in November!

I'm not familiar with the BT activation on your model and Windows version so can't help you there. However, once you have installed TT3, all you should need to do to activate it is to tap on the Tomtom Navigator icon that appears on your 'desktop'.

As you have a small satellite icon constantly in the bottom right corner of your PDA, that indicates to me that you have do indeed have a GPS entry in your Windows startup and that will have been causing your installation problem. Unless you want or need it there, you can find it and remove it by browsing as follows:

On the PDA itself - Programs/File Explorer/My Device/Windows/Startup/.

Via USB - Explore 'Mobile Device' and locate the Windows/Startup folder to find the shortcut.

I would recommend that you 'cut' the file and keep it somewhere safe until you have decided whether you need it or not. Having removed it from the Windows folder and as stated above, you should then only need to tap the new desktop icon.

If you have any further problems or queries, you can PM me.

Steve
Nissan Connect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: