Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom GPS time issue
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom GPS time issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marku
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: TomTom GPS time issue Reply with quote

I am new to this GPS navgation scene and have recently purchased a Ipaq 2215 and Installed TomTom3 Navigator, GPSAssist + Pocketgps Camera
Database plus the TomTom GPS.
My question is how do i get a accurate time displayed when running TomTom 3. My ipaq has the correct time in but i presume the time being displayed in the Navigator is being picked up from the Tracking satellites. The time being displayed seems to be about 20mins too fast.
How do i change this as there doesn't seem to be many options in the TomTom GPS wizard.
Thanks Mark Laughing
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't change the GPS time, I think its to do with the timing information that the receiver picks up from the GPS sats, in UTC?

Just had a look at mine and the GPS time displayed is 18 seconds faster than my ipaq 2210's time.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you seeing this time displayed, it is not the arrival time is it and you are going on a 20 min journey?
:D
......you get time to destination, Arrival time, and distance. you can choose the order in advanced properties........
Wilko
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
Where are you seeing this time displayed, it is not the arrival time is it and you are going on a 20 min journey?
:D
......you get time to destination, Arrival time, and distance. you can choose the order in advanced properties........

I read it to mean the time in GPS properties?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recently posted in another thread, TomTom takes it's time from the Satellites (GPS time is UTC time + 13 seconds). This can be seen by looking at the GPS Status screen. Navigator then adjusts it for your local timezone when you are using the Navigator view to tell you the current time and the arrival time.

If you have a poor fix then the time being received from the satellites will be a bit out initially, but should settle down to become very accurate once it's got a good fix.
marku
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: TomTom Time issues Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
to Steve W , i am seeing the time in the left hand bottom of the Navigator screen in the middle row, the top row is ETA and the middle is the time.
If i look at the GPS wizard, i will have say 6-9 satellites locked on it will then show the correct time but when i go back to TTN3 Navigator screen it is wrong.
I may be having a problem with this software as i was unable to start up TTN3 this morning, i don't think i should have had it running in the car just of the battery and then start the ignition up as i think it must have corrupted something. I have done i Hard reset and will have to re-install. I had the 2215 with the latest rom and TTN3 v3.07.
I will re-install and give it another go.
marku
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Time issues Reply with quote

marku wrote:
Thanks for all the replies.
to Steve W , i am seeing the time in the left hand bottom of the Navigator screen in the middle row, the top row is ETA and the middle is the time.
If i look at the GPS wizard, i will have say 6-9 satellites locked on it will then show the correct time but when i go back to TTN3 Navigator screen it is wrong.
I may be having a problem with this software as i was unable to start up TTN3 this morning, i don't think i should have had it running in the car just of the battery and then start the ignition up as i think it must have corrupted something. I have done i Hard reset and will have to re-install. I had the 2215 with the latest rom and TTN3 v3.07.
I will re-install and give it another go.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,

Thanks for the PM, glad you're sorted....Unable to reply as I don't think you have input an e-mail addy in your details. Wink

Steve
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlike the Tomtom GO, TT3 uses the PDA's time as the basis for calculating ETA, rather than the GPS time. I discovered this after my PDA lost a few hours when it ran very low on power.

The problem is probably that your PDA's time is set wrongly. Either set it correctly manually or sync it up to a desktop machine that gets its time from a proper NTP source. Windows XP does this by default, but there are third-party programs for previous versions of Windows.

I'm an IT contractor, so I've worked at a few client sites. Invariably their PCs' times are sync'd from the network, and they always seem to be wrong by at least 5 minutes. Needless to say, when I sync up the PDA then the time on that goes 5 minutes out, too. Fortunately it all becomes fixed when I subsequently sync it at home.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: