Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Slow TTFF for Holux 210
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow TTFF for Holux 210

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Slow TTFF for Holux 210 Reply with quote

I have a wired Holux GM210, which I bought about a year ago. When I first bought it a cold start (after not having used it for a few days) took about 3-4 minutes to get a fix. Recently, this has been 10-12 minutes - nothing else has changed, it is still mounted in the same position in the same car. I phoned Holux UK who told me that a cold start time of anything up to 45 minutes was within tolerance. This is obviously unacceptable, it is quite impracticable to wait that long for a fix before starting a journey.
Can anyone recommend the best wired GPS receiver I could get to replace the GM210, preferably using the same 6 pin plug connections so that I can just plug it in to the Y connector between my cigar lighter and the iPAQ2210. I don't want the hassle of bluetooth, and I would prefer not to use a CF receiver, as with TTN3 and CP5 I use both cards for map data.
Robin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, anything from 12 mins to 45 mins is a factory fix, so this isn't a cold fix. You may have been talking to the wrong person, or he got it muddled.

Anything from 30 seconds to 12 mins is considered a cold fix. It takes 30+ seconds to download the ephemeris table (for a cold fix). If your GPS isn't holding the almanac say the battery on the circuit board (or capacitor) isn't holding a charge and losing the almanac data, then it can take anything from 30 seconds up to 12.5 mins to obtain what's called a factory fix. Now if you are still not getting a fix after 12.5 mins it's because you have a bad view of the sky, or you have an athermic windscreen.

If you are sure nothing has changed, then I suspect the battery on the Holux is dead or not charging, but still it should only take around 12-15 mins to download the almanac and ephemeris data, which suggests you may not have a clear view of the sky or you have some localised interference. Try placing the antenna on the top of the car and see if it obtains a fix quicker, or try driving to another location and then plugging it in.

I haven't known a holux to lose it's battery, but it's possible over time. Any GPS Receiver as a replacement will work, none will support the same 6 pin connector so you will get a different charger lead with a new GPS. Personally I find Holux one of the better receivers. The new GR-211 is a really nice (very small) GPS that we reviewed here, but if you want to stay clear of Holux then a RoyalTek Sapphire, Leadtek, GlobalSat or any other cabled mouse would be okay. There have been a lot of complaints on here about the Rikalines so you may want to read these posts before going for a Rikaline.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your helpful reply Dave. No, it hasn't got longer than 12 minutes so far, but (perhaps coincidentally) this is much longer than the cold starts I did when the unit was newer. If I have used it within the previous couple of days it is, as expected, much quicker. Once it gets a fix, it works perfectly - it never seems to lag much behind my actual position, and typically on the open road I can see around 7 satellites. So if it doesn't get worse than 12 minutes, it's normal, but anything above that will indicate a problem.
Robin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, are your journey's fairly short ? e.g. half an hour ? If so it might be an idea to have the Holux plugged in and with power for a few hours to re-charge the battery, it maybe that it's not getting enough charge, although saying that I would expect it to lose all or no data from the ephemeris table.

Leaving a GPS for a couple of days, say 2-4 days will result in a longer fix, probably around 2-4 mins, but leaving it 1-2 days shouldn't take much longer than 2 mins to obtain a fix.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely too slow Dave. I used it last night and it was fine at 1130 pm. Today I switched it on in the drive before setting off, and it took a full 6 minutes before I got 4 satellites and it acquired a fix. After that it was perfect for the next 90 minutes. I'll try again tomorrow.
BTW, I was interested in the new Holux mount/amplifier/GPS receiver. Although designed to be used with a window mount, I always use a vent mount for the iPAQ 2210. Did you experiment with having the GPS receiver further back? The Holux GM210 seems to work ok if I bring it back, though my usual position is near the glass.
Robin
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like you have an athermic windscreen, but would have been affected by this a year ago, unless you have positioned the GPS slightly further away from the windscreen a year ago ?
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the GPS in a Citroen Saxo (clear glass) and a Mk 5 VW Golf. The Golf has what is called heat insulating tinted glass (I presume that's an athermic screen) but that doesn't stop me picking up 8 or more satellites in either car when it's warmed up. It has definitely got slower in the last year - it could be as you suggest, the battery inside the GPS receiver may have lost some of its storage capacity.
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: