Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - What to buy?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: What to buy? Reply with quote

First post, so go easy on me please.

I am looking at purchasing a navigation kit, and would appreciate some advice from the experts (current users).

I have more or less settled on the Tomtom navigator 3 running on an HP IPAQ, some quite good deals on HP 2210 with the software. The question, is this the best solution?

Should I consider the software on a Palm based machine instead? Should I consider the new piece of kit on the rz machine (slower processor).

The wife quite likes the idea of a windows based pda, but what is best. Also should I go for the bluetooth, or the wired solution? All these questions, hopefully you guys can provide some advice.

Thanks for your help, and I realise that I will get conflicting advice, but anything is better than making a £500 mistake.

Cheers,

Gary
amcluesent
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>The question, is this the best solution?<

The question of questions... Wink

From my experience of running an iPaq 3870with TT3 -

1) If you are happy tinkering with gadgets then go for an iPaq and TT3. If you are more of the just plug it in mind-set then look at the TomTom GO, dare one say more likely to appeal to her indoors?

2) The 3870 is just about OK for re-route thinking time etc. I'd be looking at a 400Mhz processor and a fast memory card to minimise delays.

3) The 3900 series iPaq was the last to have a quality speaker for voice directions. With later iPaqs you might seen a powered mount with its own loadspeaker.

4) I use rental cars a lot so need a GPS sleeve. If I was using my own car, I'd go for a wired-in bluetooth GPS, and use TomTom Traffic with a bluetooth phone to get traffic alerts. Otherwise you have TT navigating you into motorway jams etc. which is silly.

5) Can't see any benefit in going for a Palm...

6) TT3 maps are well out of date, no M6 toll road for example which TTGO has.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: