Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620 Reply with quote

Hi there

This is my first post on this forum.

I have been looking around for a long time for a GPS system. And I have finally decided to go for either the Garmin iQue 3600/3200 or the HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620. Can you tell the differences between the 3 options. And can you please give me a good site that sells them.

I also want maps for Europe, South Africa and possibly a base map of the world. Which maps does the 1620 come with and where can I purchase the other maps from and how much it will cost?

And also a place that sells SD (normal and miniture size) and multimedia cards at a good price.

I would preferably like to get all this from as few ites as possible - even just 1 would be preferable.

Thanks a lot.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620 Reply with quote

marcog wrote:
I have been looking around for a long time for a GPS system. And I have finally decided to go for either the Garmin iQue 3600/3200 or the HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620.

So you haven't finally decided ? Wink

marcog wrote:
Can you tell the differences between the 3 options. And can you please give me a good site that sells them.

There's really no difference between the 3200 and 3600 iQue apart from the 3200 is a slightly cut down version so if you want to save a few pounds, then the 3200 will be better.

Difference between the iQue's and iPAQ 2210, it's like comparing chalk and cheese. One's Palm and one's PPC, it's like trying to compare a PC with a Mac. Palm has slightly better battery life, slightly less tendency to have to soft reset the device, but PPC is the winner in terms of the amount of applications available so you can pick and choose, mix and match the various applications to GPS hardware.

Garmin cfQue will restrict you to the Garmin cfQue receiver, so if you don't get on with it and want to upgrade the GPS Receiver later then your maps won't work. If you buy a normal PPC system then you won't have this problem.

marcog wrote:
I also want maps for Europe, South Africa and possibly a base map of the world.

In that case you'll need several applications, probably PaPaGo for South Africa, and something like CoPilot, TomTom or Navman for European coverage.

marcog wrote:
Which maps does the 1620 come with and where can I purchase the other maps from and how much it will cost?

European maps, AFAIK there's no MapSource navigatable maps of South Africa.

marcog wrote:
And also a place that sells SD (normal and miniture size) and multimedia cards at a good price.

There are millions of these on the web just search for cheap sd cards. Valueflash.co.uk is a good start.

marcog wrote:
I would preferably like to get all this from as few ites as possible - even just 1 would be preferable.

Getting it from one retailer isn't a problem but you'll probably pay more for it that way.
marcog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620 Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
So you haven't finally decided ? Wink

No, but I'm probably going to go for the iPAQ.

Dave wrote:
Difference between the iQue's and iPAQ 2210, it's like comparing chalk and cheese. One's Palm and one's PPC, it's like trying to compare a PC with a Mac. Palm has slightly better battery life, slightly less tendency to have to soft reset the device, but PPC is the winner in terms of the amount of applications available so you can pick and choose, mix and match the various applications to GPS hardware.

I've actually heard that the 2210 has 6-7 hours compared to the 3600's 3- hours battery life. That's from actual reviews I've read - not off the dealers site.

Dave wrote:
Garmin cfQue will restrict you to the Garmin cfQue receiver, so if you don't get on with it and want to upgrade the GPS Receiver later then your maps won't work. If you buy a normal PPC system then you won't have this problem.

I don't think I will be upgrading, so that's not much of a problem.

Dave wrote:
marcog wrote:
I also want maps for Europe, South Africa and possibly a base map of the world.

In that case you'll need several applications, probably PaPaGo for South Africa, and something like CoPilot, TomTom or Navman for European coverage.

marcog wrote:
Which maps does the 1620 come with and where can I purchase the other maps from and how much it will cost?

European maps, AFAIK there's no MapSource navigatable maps of South Africa.

If I get it here in South Africa, I can get the 1620 for around R3500 (£320) and it comes with bothe Europe and South Africa city select maps. So I guess it would probably be best to buy it here.

Dave wrote:
marcog wrote:

There are millions of these on the web just search for cheap sd cards. Valueflash.co.uk is a good start.

I had a look at that site and they have two 512MB RS-MMC's:

Dane-Elec--------£66.92 incl. VAT
Integral-----------£41.68 incl. VAT

Any idea what the quality and speed of the two are like? Is the Dane-Elec worth the extra £25?

Dave wrote:
marcog wrote:

Getting it from one retailer isn't a problem but you'll probably pay more for it that way.

As I said, it would be preferable, but if it's going to cost more, then fine, I'll go to a second site. But I don't want to have to worry about more than 2 places, I think that's max.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620 Reply with quote

marcog wrote:
I've actually heard that the 2210 has 6-7 hours compared to the 3600's 3- hours battery life. That's from actual reviews I've read - not off the dealers site.

Don't believe the hype, you'll only get around 3-4 hours out of a PPC if you're lucky. You do have the benefit of buying third party battery packs that allow you to charge whilst you're on the move though.

If it's for in-car use then you can use a car charger. 6-7 Hours would be the length of the Bluetooth battery in a Bluetooth GPS.

marcog wrote:
If I get it here in South Africa, I can get the 1620 for around R3500 (£320) and it comes with bothe Europe and South Africa city select maps. So I guess it would probably be best to buy it here.

Are you sure ? I've never heard of Two versions of City Select being shipped with a Garmin product.

marcog wrote:
Dane-Elec--------£66.92 incl. VAT
Integral-----------£41.68 incl. VAT

Any idea what the quality and speed of the two are like? Is the Dane-Elec worth the extra £25?

Integral are pretty good, thats what I use.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Don't believe the hype, you'll only get around 3-4 hours out of a PPC if you're lucky. You do have the benefit of buying third party battery packs that allow you to charge whilst you're on the move though.

Hmm... So when I got 6-7 hours from a full charge out of my 2210 recently I must have been dreaming!

I don't post to mislead people I just try to be honest.
Maybe on that occasion I was lucky, but then I have regularly exceeded 5+ hours use with the std battery whilst out walking with battery life to spare.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most I have had out of 3x 2210's is 4 hours and that's with the backlight off all the time and without any storage cards in to drain the battery.
marcog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: HP iPAQ 2210 + Garmin cf Que 1620 Reply with quote

Dave wrote:

From [url="http://www.bargainpda.com/default.asp?newsID=1465&showComments=true"]here:[/url]

Quote:
The battery for the iPaq 2215 is a 900 mAH Lithium Ion rechargeable. HP claims it has a 12 hour life, I don't know how they squeezed that out but I haven't been able to reach 12 hours without needing a recharge. I wish manufacturers were more honest about what to expect to get in terms of battery life from a PDA. Having said this, I never once ran into a situation where my battery was drained at the end of an entire day of use without charge. In general I've been getting 6 - 7.5 hours of real use per charge (not saying I have to charge every 7 hours, sometimes it takes 3 days for me to use the 2215 for that length of time). I ran one test in which I cranked up the screen brightness all the way (that's brighter than you'll need) and forced the screen to stay on at that brightness, turned on bluetooth search and forced it to stay on, then played 6 wma audio files in a continuous loop. I started this process with 100% battery life at 11:36 a.m. and at 3:24 p.m. the device finally got down to 0% charge and displayed a swanky count down screen and turned off. That's 3 hours and 48 minutes of abusing the battery, this may seem low but it's actually pretty good relative to many other Pocket PC devices on the market. The iPaq 2215 still isn't as good as the 1440 mAh battery that comes with the Dell Axim, but the trade off is you get a smaller battery and less weight with the 2215.

Dave wrote:
marcog wrote:

Are you sure ? I've never heard of Two versions of City Select being shipped with a Garmin product.

That's what I was told. Remember that this is purchasing from SA and the SA isn't that big for a map. So they just chuck in the European maps as to fill in.

Dave wrote:
Integral are pretty good, thats what I use.

Any idea of the speed?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: