Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Walking with TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Walking with TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malchemilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: Walking with TomTom Reply with quote

I am new to PDAs and navigation systems but have recently bought an iPAQ 4150 and TomTom Navigator 3 with bluetooth GPS receiver for Pocket PC.

Though still confused by many things I have at least got it working satisfactorily in the car. But I want to use it also when walking in both city streets and the countryside. So far I have tried it only in city streets in an area which I know well. Its performance is totally erratic. It frequently loses track of where I am and tells me to take non-existent turns. I can only suppose that the GPS receiver jiggling in my pocket and the PDA swinging in my hand are driving it insane. Can anyone tell me the recommended way of using the navigation system reliably when walking?
nej
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is cities is a thing known as Urban Canyoning, although the correct term is Multipath Error. What this means is that the GPS receiver is surrounded by buildings and has a very limited view of the sky, and the signals it does receive are bouncing off the buildings several times before they reach your receiver. This delays the signal, which decreases the accuracy and that is the problem you are seeing.

Not too much you can do about it really... it works a bit better in a car, as you will not be on the pavement right next to a building. The only thing you can do is make sure the receiver has as good a view of the sky as possible.

HTH
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom (or any other street nav software for that matter) is useless for walking in the country. There is not enough detail in the maps.

If you are serious about walking then you will need topographical software for the PPC.

There are several options that use Ordnance Survey maps in full colour.
Here are a few pointers:
www.anquet.co.uk
www.memory-map.co.uk
www.fugawi.com

If you require further info just ask.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: