Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Questionnaire
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Questionnaire
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
afitc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: TomTom Questionnaire Reply with quote

Recieved an email from tomtom,

Dear TomTom GO user,

At TomTom we are continuously trying to improve our products and services. It is very important for us to know what our customers think of us and our products in our search for continuous improvement. Therefore we are asking you for 10 minutes of your valuable time to fill in our TomTom GO customer survey.

Has everyone got these? Great to see Tomtom listening to their customers. Hope everyone mentions their suggestions especially qwerty keyboard.

Afitc
MrRubberGloves
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one aswell, hopefully they will take a few new ideas onboard.
wez99
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I got one and I did mention the QWERTY along with a few other things, notably up to date maps.

Cheers
john
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As TTN3 has a qwerty option it seems ludicrous not to have the same functionality on the Go!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fear this is little more than a PR stunt.

If they were seriously interested in knowing what people thought of the product they could start by reading and answering some of the mail sent to their support department.

I sent them long and considered note covering eight areas of concern - some relating to bugs / problems with the hardware and software and others to suggestions for product improvements etc.. Where appropriate I enclosed screen shots of the problems I had referred to. I also asked about the their failure to supply a carry case and for details of how to obtain a black fascia panel.

The four line response I received was largely unintelligible and appeared to be little more than a quote or extract from some sort of brochure which was loosely related to just two of the points I had raised. They made no reference to the other six. It was clear that they had made little or no attempt to read or understand any of the issues I had raised.

To add insult to injury they finished their response by saying “We hope to have answered your question (singular) to your satisfaction”.

I have no idea whether this is indicative of some sort of language problem or just corporate indifference. Either way it makes the idea of a customer satisfaction survey laughable.

I have now resubmitted my questions in somewhat simpler language and am awaiting a further response.

Michael
afitc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the questionnaire is a format tomtom are using because its very easy to compile results of what people want rather than try and read all the emails sent to them.
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if your theory is right I have got to fill in a Customer Survey to let them know that I would like them read an email I have sent to their support department !

And then if I am lucky and provided there is sufficient demand in an easy to compile format they might be willing to read and respond to their incoming mail. I think not.

My point was not that they shouldn’t conduct a Customer survey but that if they really wanted to "improve their products and services" they could start by spending "10 minutes of their valuable time" answering one or two of the requests for help sent to their support department.

I paid nearly £500 for this machine and I would like TomTom to address the problems I have raised and for the device to work as advertised. I would like to know how the battery is going to be replaced when it finally runs out as it surely will. And I would like to know when and how they plan to update the maps. I would also like the carry case that I have already paid for and I would like one of the promised and heavily advertised fascia panels.

None of these requests are, in my book, unreasonable.

Michael
afitc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chill Mutant, your requests are not unreasonable. I dont have any theorys, just hope tomtom are listening in there own way Wink
wolfy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: I'm with Mutant Reply with quote

I'm with you Mutant! I do think Tomtom Go is an awesome product, but the computerised response that you get from their support team doesn't meet the standards you expect when you've just forked out almost £500.

Why advertise Go with all the different colours when their not even sure they're going to sell them!
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry afitc if I took advantage of your post to express my frustration - my complaint is with TomTom not you.

Like everyone here I was seduced by the idea of the TomTom and was especially sold on the idea of the Gatso database (which, of course, is nothing to do with TomTom). I therefore feel slightly foolish to have bought something on the basis of glowing recommendations here and elsewhere only to find that the reality is slightly different.

Most people, if they bought something as cheap as a torch and found when they got home that you couldn't change the battery, would be incensed. And yet here with a device that costs a hundred times as much the response seems to be "hopefully TT will come up with something when the time comes". Why shouldn't we know if it will be possible to change the battery and more importantly how much it will cost.

Looking again at the TTG website it is easy to see that they have been very careful to gloss over what the device can and can't do. I now realise it is what they don't say that is significant.

There is no mention of the fact that the device comes with the smallest SD Card they can get away with - so one is forced immediately to buy a new card if one wants to add even a small amount of data.

There is no mention of the fact that the device can only handle one 'Travel via' for any given route - making any serious route planning virtually impossible.

Their Map of Western Europe web page which previously said you could "Save and load frequently used itineraries" has now, after I asked where the feature was, been changed to say "Easy itinerary planning".

There is no mention of the fact that the A-B routes don't work if you are in range of a satellite and you choose a start point other than your current location.

The Maps of Western Europe are described as the "The latest and most accurate maps available". Had I been a forensic scientist I suppose that I might have been alerted to the fact that the same was not said about the UK maps….

And there was certainly no reference to the fact that the promised carry case was not in the box.

And so on…

The bottom line is that I feel as though I have bought an album on the basis of a track that I heard on the radio only to find that the rest of the album is not quite as good.

It will be interesting to see if I receive a questionnaire.

Michael
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael

Although it is hard to argue that TTG has a number of shortcomings, it is one of the best car navigation products on the market, made even more remarkable by the fact that it is a first fo foray of a software company in hardware design. Six months ago it was also the cheapest all-in-one solutions. My understanding is that TT is currently recruiting a number of people to deal with customer compaints and suggestions (mentioned elsewhere in this forum).

To answer some of your questions: there is a safety camera database with version 4.40

What device can and cannot do should have been looked at the shop where you bought your GO - I believe it is a common practice.

Smallest SD card - the obvious reason would be to keep the price down and the fact that a large number of people would not need a bigger card.

The battery is not user replaceable, but it should be easy to replace in a service centre (yes, I did take a GO apart)

Everyting you said about the product description on the website could be applied to the majority of businesses, not just to TomTom, that's why when I was thinking of buying a GO I came to this site for more information and guess what - I found it.

You wouldn't believe how many times I've contacted the company which made my car - I'm not happy with the way the front grill looks, but the bastards have never done anything about that and I paid quite a few bob for it.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience with GO, but the bottom line is that if you are unhappy with your product - you have a number of options opened to you - try returning it, sell it, take the manufacturer to court.
rob-bob
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:28 am    Post subject: tomtom go Reply with quote

eldar
sorry but i have to agree with michael
there is not a great deal of stand alone devices like tomtom go but im sorry to say that tomtom go is not a good piece of kit.....if it was so good then why" My understanding is that TT is currently recruiting a number of people to deal with customer compaints and suggestions (mentioned elsewhere in this forum). "are they doing this if the product was that good the extra staff would not be needed.....

as for your car statment the way somethjing looks and performs are totally different...if you bought a tv that looked good and the company made claims of what it could do and you got it home and could only get two channels i think is a bit different from buying a tv that you was not happy with the way it looked but did the job...sorry but you can see how tomtom looks but you cannot see how bad it is until you have used it.....

tomtom seem to have rushed this product out without it being fully ready...im sure the cost between the sd cards at trade price is minimal....the case was not ready and the maps and routing are not good enough...and the if you dont like it take it back,sell it, take them to court answer should be.......how about tomtom delivering what they said they were....you will find more people complaing about this product the more they use it......
Cheers
Rob
p.s im sure if michael was to ask someone would upload the camera database for him
mutant
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar, thanks for the comments. How much better it would have been if someone from TTG had made the same effort.

I'll try to avoid this turning into further rant so I'll just make a few points.

1. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I hadn't managed to load the Gatso database. It was in fact one of the first things I did (hence the need for a larger card) and is in my view is probably the best use for the TTG.

2. It was not possible to try the TTG in the shop before I bought it as the SD card with the software was sealed. In any event it would hardly have been apparent that the maps were out of date etc. As for this being their first venture into hardware the problems that I am aware off are almost all software related. As with any software there is bound to be the odd bug or two but the way for them to deal with that is to say sorry and they are working hard to get the problems / missing features fixed.

3. If as you say TT are recruiting support staff (and you don't say how you know this) then they could alleviate much of the current criticism by saying as much on their web site with an apology for the lack of service. Likewise, instead of sending out meaningless replies to support enquiries they should be honest and say that they are overwhelmed and that they will deal with things as soon as they can. The beauty of the web is that companies can communicate with their customers at almost no cost and with very little effort.

4. As for a bad experience I don't think my experience is any different from anyone else's. Perhaps I am just less tolerant of a GPS system that doesn’t allow me to customise a route with more than one Via, to plan a route between two points or to save a route for future use. It doesn't matter how pretty the case is if the functionality is flawed. If I just wanted to drive up and down motorways I wouldn’t have bought a GPS system.

That said, there is probably very little wrong with the TTG that can't be fixed by a software upgrade. All that is needed is the willingness to tell people what they are planning to do and when.

Michael
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: tomtom go Reply with quote

rob-bob wrote:
eldar
sorry but i have to agree with michael
there is not a great deal of stand alone devices like tomtom go but im sorry to say that tomtom go is not a good piece of kit.....

It is good piece of kit compared to what is on the market at the moment. It was exactly the same with mobiles - first consumer mobile phones were the size of half-brick, the coverage was not very good, the audio quality was even worse than it is now, etc.

The problems seems to be that it's not the device that you need, but you have only yourself to blame. I would normally do a lot reasearch before parting with half a grand of my money.

rob-bob wrote:

if it was so good then why" My understanding is that TT is currently recruiting a number of people to deal with customer compaints and suggestions (mentioned elsewhere in this forum). "are they doing this if the product was that good the extra staff would not be needed......

I suggest that you make your mind up - you either want better services from the comepany (i.e. more staff dealing with customers) or you don't. It sounds like neither will please you.

And if it is so bad why so many people love this product?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mutant wrote:
Eldar, thanks for the comments. How much better it would have been if someone from TTG had made the same effort.

I'll try to avoid this turning into further rant so I'll just make a few points.

1. I'm not sure how you got the impression that I hadn't managed to load the Gatso database. It was in fact one of the first things I did (hence the need for a larger card) and is in my view is probably the best use for the TTG.

You mentioned that "...the Gatso database (which, of course, is nothing to do with TomTom)." When I upgraded to version 4.40 the GATSO db was included, although I have no idea where TT got it from.

mutant wrote:

2. It was not possible to try the TTG in the shop before I bought it as the SD card with the software was sealed. In any event it would hardly have been apparent that the maps were out of date etc.

Fair enough, the maps can and should be better, I don't think that there is a good excuse for that. As for SD cards - it would be unreasonable to expect the company to provide a card of the size which is only useful to the minority of customers, something to do with bell curve I believe 8O

mutant wrote:

3. If as you say TT are recruiting support staff (and you don't say how you know this) then they could alleviate much of the current criticism by saying as much on their web site with an apology for the lack of service. Likewise, instead of sending out meaningless replies to support enquiries they should be honest and say that they are overwhelmed and that they will deal with things as soon as they can. The beauty of the web is that companies can communicate with their customers at almost no cost and with very little effort.

I agree with you provided we were living in an ideal world. How many people do you know who would say "sorry, I f...ed it up" after making a mistake? It the same with companies (not to mentioned legal implications) and TT is no different. To answer your question about the staff recruitment - I heard it on this forum (I believe a chap talked to a "fellow Scott" who told him that TT are recruting more people)

mutant wrote:

4. As for a bad experience I don't think my experience is any different from anyone else's. Perhaps I am just less tolerant of a GPS system that doesn’t allow me to customise a route with more than one Via, to plan a route between two points or to save a route for future use. It doesn't matter how pretty the case is if the functionality is flawed. If I just wanted to drive up and down motorways I wouldn’t have bought a GPS system.

It is definitely different from my wife's who refuses to drive without a TTG and wouldn't know where to download a GATSO database from, not to mention how to plan a "via" route. :D

mutant wrote:

That said, there is probably very little wrong with the TTG that can't be fixed by a software upgrade. All that is needed is the willingness to tell people what they are planning to do and when.

That is certainly true. As I mentioned before there are a number of things which can be improved and I hope that TT software people will eventually see sense in upgrading the product.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: