Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Co-Pilot Live 5 voices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Co-Pilot Live 5 voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Malchemilla
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:19 pm    Post subject: Co-Pilot Live 5 voices Reply with quote

In his review of Co-Pilot Live 5 Dave Burrows mentions the optional WAV voices. As I find the text-to-speech voices unpleasant, the reference to WAV files tempts me to buy the software. But Co-Pilot's website makes no mention of these extended options, nor does any other reviewer I have
read. Has anyone out there actually used these voices? If so, what do they think of them? If someone could email me a specimen WAV file of the voices I'd be really grateful.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We really should edit the review, these were planned but never made it to the final end user release.
DarrenL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Co-pilot Live does come with a WAV voice! Reply with quote

I recently bought Co-pilot Live 5.0 for the PPC (European edition) and have tried both the text to speech voice (male) and the WAV voice (female). The manual states that four voice options are available (male/female for both TTS and WAV) but the installation only appears to offer the two voice options I've tried. I found the TTS option harder to understand and was much quieter, although does give more information such as road numbers/names. I quickly uninstalled this option and installed the WAV voice. This is very good indeed. The volume is quite audible...I have my IPAQ 2210 on about 80% full volume and can comfortably hear the directions even with the radio on (although not really loud!!). The directions are spoken clearly, although are simple eg. "in 1 mile turn right"...no road names are spoken but can easily be read from the very clearly laid out display. I found that the TTS voice often gave too much information so you had forgotten whether it was left or right by the end of the message!!

I'm generally very happy with the program although it seems to eat the memory and not give it all back on exiting...need to soft reset now and again to free up the memory. And it can freeze at the route planning stage especially if trying to reroute to avoid roads but not sure if this is to do with the bluetooth issues that appear to be common to many users with various setups (I'm using a globalsat 308 bluetooth receiver which gives a great signal and has a fantastic battery life). Rerouting during the journey when taking a wrong turn is usually very quick (couple of seconds)...was very impressed. One annoying feature is the message to "bear left" or "bear right" when there is a slight bend up ahead. I would prefer it didnt say anything unless the route actually turned onto a new road. But this is only a small grumble.

Hope you find this useful...its my first posting to a forum!!

Cheers
Darren

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: