Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Got the PDA now I need ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Got the PDA now I need ???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Got the PDA now I need ??? Reply with quote

Ok, first step complete. Bought new 2210 for £165 on ebay from private seller. Well pleased. No need for a PDA but too good a bargain

Now, the big question (s) is this.

Software, contentious, lots of opinion I know. Co Pilot 5 or Tom Tom 3, I know icsys likes his Smart STV2 as well

Mount for car? Powered or not?

Do I go bluetooth or wired GPS?

If I get a CF card, 512, as the software comes mainly on SD what would I use with the CF card in the context of Sat NAv? Extra maps?

Overall I'm looking for ease of install and use
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well...
Of software 'currently available' for the PPC, the order of preference if I was to give a honest opinion is:
1] CoPilot
2] TomTom3
3] SmartSTv2

Purely based on
1] navteq maps, and speed cameras
2] speed cameras
3] because I have it and like it.

If you are in no rush to buy, hold out for Smart STv3 before comitting yourself.

Go for powered with a speaker! The 2210 needs an external speaker unless you prefer no music in which case it's fine.

Bluetooth! less wires, position anywhere for optimum reception, portable, great for walking.

Software comes on CDs which you download to the memory card in the PPC.
SD or CF it's your choice.
CF is generally faster and more reliable than it's SD equivalent but at the moment prices are comparable whichever you choose. The best advice is to steer clear of SD by SanDisk and those made in China.

As for install and use... you will need to ask someone who has used all three and can give a honest opinion. Wink
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would more or less agree with icsys. Just a couple of other points.

As far of ease of install and use is concerned then CoPilot is definitely top of the list. You can buy a quick install option on SD card which you just plug into the Pocket PC and switch on... installation complete! I find its location of destination by address much better as well, and find TT very obtuse and awkward as far as this goes, e.g. it is very difficult to find my home address in TT, and even when you have given it the correct co-ordinates and it is routing there correctly, it will insist on declaring that the destination is in Great Yarmouth rather than Milton Keynes.

I also prefer Bluetooth, but it can be slightly more temperamental in use than a wired GPS. In particular, with TT and SmartST, you cannot usually just switch off in mid-journey and then switch on again after lunch to resume your journey. You have to follow the right steps to avoid having to do a reset. CoPilot seems to have got itself sorted out in this area.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree also. Although it might sound I have been siding with CoPilot a lot lately, there's very good reason to do so (and no I'm not being paid to!).

ALK have really done wonders with the new V5. I really do still like TomTom Navigator 3 and SmartST Pro V2 but they are both using TeleAtlas data which has always been a problem, and although in the past I have been happy to zoom into a town and try and pinpoint the location using AutoRoute on the PC, I don't always have the luxury of doing this now, so this really is becoming an annoyance to me. CoPilot uses NAVTEQ's latest map set which is tremendous compared with TeleAtlas's, esp with coverage of Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands etc.

CoPilot's QuickStart card is good if you want it, there will be 1Gb European QS Card's out shortly, currently UK QS Cards are 128mb in size.

No application is 100% perfect and CoPilot certainly isn't that, but it's slowly becoming the better of the best bunch (IMO).
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I expected, great detailed replies. Thanks guys. I was kinda edging towards Co Pilot and indeed bluetooth even with its slightly less reliable nature. this is of course true in all Bluetooth applications not just Sat Nav.

With the 2210 how would it be best to operate/work with putting ALL the UK on a card bearing in mind the 128 QS card permanently in situ (?) and the spare CF slot?

Lastly, what powered mount and Bluetooth GPS combo would be a goody?

Oh, Dave got a miss directed letterl from ALK, no idea how, I'll forward the cheque onto you. Its a biggy as well.........
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if not powered mount, as I dont need the music, what other mount setup amongst the many many choices. Although if powered is still the better technical choice......
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

topgazza wrote:
As I expected, great detailed replies. Thanks guys. I was kinda edging towards Co Pilot and indeed bluetooth even with its slightly less reliable nature. this is of course true in all Bluetooth applications not just Sat Nav.

That's correct, BT on the 2210 isn't as robust as it could be and you may see a few BT dropouts under heavy use of the processor. I mainly use cabled GPS at the moment apart from when I'm testing BT GPS's (of course).

topgazza wrote:
With the 2210 how would it be best to operate/work with putting ALL the UK on a card bearing in mind the 128 QS card permanently in situ (?) and the spare CF slot?

If you go for the QuickStart card, then having it all on one card wouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would say is if you have a larger CF card, then you might want to think about transferring the software and maps to this as people appear to have had less trouble with BT drop outs when using CF over SD, something to do with the SD reader taking up processing time more than CF does. That might reduce BT dropouts.

topgazza wrote:
Lastly, what powered mount and Bluetooth GPS combo would be a goody?

I guess that's where I don't need a powered mount because I have a cabled GPS with a regular Arkon vent mount. Depending on the car you have, you may want to go for a Brodit, or failing that there is the Seidio/Arkon powered/speaker mounts. Personally for audio if it gets too loud in-car, I'll turn the stereo off, or pipe the sound through the stereo with a cassette adapter.

topgazza wrote:
Oh, Dave got a miss directed letterl from ALK, no idea how, I'll forward the cheque onto you. Its a biggy as well.........

Darn! Embarassed How did it get to you ? I've been waiting for that piece of paper to arrive! 8O Wink. Hey I wish I was on commission, I think I could probably earn me self a lot of dosh! But that would make me biased then!
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of just a plain mount so I will check out the plain Arkon and The Brodit for my Passat.Thanks

I presume I can just copy the SD to CF with CP5 via my PDA? or PC? I vaguley remeber reading somewhere here that the software is tied ton the card? Or perhaps that was something else.

Without checking does the QS card have all the UK on it which is still neat of course but yes, CF is a better system than SD.

The good thing about the reviews here is that people actually DO value the opinion of the reviewer which adds some real substance behind the review.
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AND another thing. looking at CP5 review having the PC version gives you more flexibility. Do you just get the SD card when you buy the QS version? Its not clear from the various sellers
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
That's correct, BT on the 2210 isn't as robust as it could be and you may see a few BT dropouts under heavy use of the processor.

I can honestly say I have never experienced a Bluetooth drop out.
But then I only use Compact Flash memory.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
topgazza
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point icsys.

Convinces me to go CF. Just need to know what the situ is with CP5 and PC or QS version. Its just not clear which one is which and the best place to buy it.

I assume you can copy the SD to a CF card via a reader attached to a PC or on the 2210 via the two slots?

I'd say finally....but I would be lying......

Best Bluetooth GPS for this setup?

Supplier of CP5 in the recommended format?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: