Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recomendations for a simple GPS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recomendations for a simple GPS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BML
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Recomendations for a simple GPS? Reply with quote

I’ve looked at a "Guide to Buying GPS” and a “Frequently asked questions section” on another web page and they are an amazing fund of information but they are such an amazing fund of information that I have gone into information overload.
I no longer have a company car and when I did have one it did not have a GPS. Now that I am retired I have an elderly motor caravan to keep me amused and I travel the country often getting lost.
I want to be able to plan road journeys with a number of stops and follow the instructions on a screen (my wife I mean as she is the navigator) which I assume can be a laptop, a hand held computer of a PDA what ever that stands for. I am very deaf so I am not interested in voice instructions although my wife may be. I am not interrested in playing games on the device, using it as a telephone or taking photographs with it.
Would anyone care to recommend what hardwear and softwear I should be buying?
davenash
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fella - I just bought a 2210 Ipaq and Syson CF Plus GPS off Ebay - AMAZING - but try and get TomTom software if you go that way - its even got SPEED CAMERAS on it - tho I guess caravans dont get bothered by them

Dave Idea
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a fellow motorhomer, can I recommend the following as a starter:-

1. HP ipaq 2210. - good all round pocket PC (or PDA - which is personal digital assistant, I think)
2. Tomtom Navigator 3 UK maps software - you can add points of interest for camping sites, CL's and motorhome 'Aires' (if you are on the continent) and navigate to them or via them if planning routes.
3. Tomtom wired GPS receiver - reliable, accurate and sensitive receiver that you can wire into your M/H semi-permanently as you will not need to move from vehicle to vehicle with it I guess.
4. Seidio or Arkon amplified holder to mount your ipaq in. Most motorhomes are converted commercial vehicles with higher than normal engine noise levels.

If you buy this lot as a bundle, you should pay in the region of £450 if you also buy a memory card to store your maps on when ordering.

You can buy a no fuss integrated package called Tomtom Go for roughly the same price if you are not the type to tinker with computers.

Be aware that a full package of European maps will cost you an additional £100 or so, although a map of European major routes are included with your basic UK package.

Steve
Nissan Connect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: