Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Basic GPS Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic GPS Software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brierls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Basic GPS Software Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been using TomTom Navigator 3.01 for a week or so now, and its all been running without any problems. I recently tried to apply the 3.03 upgrade, but it all went a bit wrong and I ended up having to wipe my iPAQ and re-install 3.01. That however is a different issue.

Since I re-installed TomTom, its been behaving very erraticaly. It seems to freeze after about 30secs-1min once I've set off. When I check the TomTom GPS, it is also frozen. I can't help but think that the failed v3.03 upgrade and left some corrupted files hanging around.

Before going mad and re-installing TomTom, I'd like to confirm that my GPS receiver is working OK (i.e. its not this that is dropping the signal every minute). Is there a simple piece of software out there (not TomTom GPS) that can show and monitor my GPS receiver, and the number of sats in can see and fix?

P.S. Does it matter where I install TomTom Navigator? Have you got it installed in Main Memory, iPAQ Fle Sore (if you have an iPAQ obviously!), or on your memory card?

TIA,
Brierls.
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No doubt others will be along to advise you but you will undoubtedly get the problems you have been getting if you install the program to the SD card.

It should be installed to the main memory with your maps only on the SD.

I notice that you have a Sandisk Sd card and this may well be a contributory factor in poor performance. I have Panasonic and Lexar SD cards and have no problems at all but when I try to use a Sandisk card with TT (normally stores photographs), I find that I experience freezes and lockups frequently.

Steve
Nissan Connect
Brierls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I've got TomTom Navigator (v3.01) installed in Main Memory, and the maps and voice on the SD card. I too have heard bad reports about the Sandisk cards (just after I'd bought mine!), but everything was working fine before I attempted to install v3.03, then started a fresh install.

It may be wishful thinking, but I still believe its something to do with that failed upgrade (but I thought a hard-boot of the iPAQ would have cleared EVERYTHING out?). The problem could be my GPS receiver (which is why I'm searching for software that will tell me if I'm aquiring then dropping sat fixes), which was cheap as chips, but I wouldn't have expected that to die after only a week!!

I'll be an expert by the time I've finished. 8O
Steve999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting the voice in Main Memory. Access time to the voice files on your Sandisk card may be problematical.

I have used v3.03 for some time now and if I have had any problems, I have never suspected v3.03 and been able to resolve it elsewhere. If you have done a hard reset and the problem persists, then unless you have a corrupted v3.03 file, you need to look elsewhere in your system.

If you think your v3.03 may be corrupted, delete it and download it again.

Steve
Nissan Connect

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: