Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Slow geting fix on startup
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Slow geting fix on startup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PAQMAN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Slow geting fix on startup Reply with quote

My BR305 used to get its first fix after about 25 secs, its now taking up to 3 mins, is this the beginning of a failure?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, a cold fix usually takes 30 seconds minimum. Most average fixes will take around 1 min if the receiver has been powered off for several hours to a day or two. If you've been receiving fixes at 25 seconds or less, then you probably have had it switched off for less than an hour.

If it's taking 3 mins now to receive a fix, then it means it's having to re-download the data several times because it doesn't have a good view of the sky. This could be due to tree's, too close to a building, athermic windscreen, or you have some localised interference either in the car or outside the car.
PAQMAN
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave Thanx for the reply, I dont disbelieve what you say, but it was always up and running in the morning before I was off my drive, now I can drive 2-3 miles before it starts recieving. Not changed anything, parked in same place, still in same place by windscreen etc etc. Cant understand it.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Providing the GPS has the almanac which takes 12.5 mins to download and no ephemeris table, e.g. completely cold fix, then the maximum time it will take is 30 seconds. Depending on how much data is left in the ephemeris table that is frequent, you may find you get quicker fixes, but if you've left the GPS overnight, then you're really going to be looking at 30 seconds +, and in most cases around 1-2 mins.
Hunnymonster
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you move and it loses sight of the satellite it's downloading the ephemeris from, it'll start the download again from another satellite so the fact that you're moving will also slow the time to first fix.....

With the CF receiver I always switch it (and the iPaq) on before I get in the car and put the laptop bag in the back etc. and it's usually got a fix before I start the engine and move off.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: