Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Haicom powered (pda, speaker and gps) mount - very good
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Haicom powered (pda, speaker and gps) mount - very good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Haicom powered (pda, speaker and gps) mount - very good Reply with quote

Just got the haicom unit and it is so much better than the seidio 2500 unit I am replacing - small and good volume and well built (better than it looks on the web sites).

Anyone looking for a cheap power mount should consider this.

Ian
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 12:15 am    Post subject: More info please? Reply with quote

Is this the mount?
The information given on www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk is a bit limited and I can't find a web site for Haicom.

I have an iPAQ 5500 with the headphone socket in the base. Do you know how the model for the 5500 plugs into this? Is it a fixed connection, as I believe the Seidio one is, or is it cable and jack plug?

How strong is the Suction mount? Any chance of your PDA landing on the floor?
Is the suction mount easily removed (is it a standard connector?) so that the mount could be attached to e.g. a ProClip or SmartClip?

Is any hardwire power cable available for a permanent installation?

Given that it seems to be an adjustable mount rather than a "click-in" one, like the Seidio, how firmly do you feel it grips the PDA? Again, any chance of your PDA landing on the floor?

Mike/Darren/Dave/Steve, any chance of you getting a review model and doing a full review?

In the meantime, Ian, is there any chance of you posting a few photos?

Finally, Ian, and probably most importantly, why have you chosen to replace the Seidio 2500 by this?

BGF
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: More info please? Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
Is this the mount?
The information given on www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk is a bit limited and I can't find a web site for Haicom.BGF

yes that's the one the web site is www.haicom.com.tw

BGF wrote:
I have an iPAQ 5500 with the headphone socket in the base. Do you know how the model for the 5500 plugs into this? Is it a fixed connection, as I believe the Seidio one is, or is it cable and jack plug?BGF

cable for the speaker - the jack on the 5500 series won't get in the way of the mount.

BGF wrote:
How strong is the Suction mount? Any chance of your PDA landing on the floor?BGF

well my 2210 spent 6 hours yesterday in the mount whilst the temp outside was 30 odd degree's and it didn't fall off - the suction base is small but it appears to work well.

BGF wrote:
Is the suction mount easily removed (is it a standard connector?) so that the mount could be attached to e.g. a ProClip or SmartClip? BGF

the power socket attaches to the mounting bracket / arm (there are small connectors in the back of of this which line up with the cradle so I think you are stuck with the mount as it is.

BGF wrote:
Is any hardwire power cable available for a permanent installation?BGF

see above - don't think so.

BGF wrote:
Given that it seems to be an adjustable mount rather than a "click-in" one, like the Seidio, how firmly do you feel it grips the PDA? Again, any chance of your PDA landing on the floor?BGF

The ipaq slots into the base and the arms clamp the sides - even if the clamps give out the ipaq won't fall out as the base is connected to the ipaq connector.

BGF wrote:
In the meantime, Ian, is there any chance of you posting a few photos?BGF

Will try to do this later in the week.

BGF wrote:
Finally, Ian, and probably most importantly, why have you chosen to replace the Seidio 2500 by this?BGF

I had a very early model of the 2500 (so they may now be better - this appears to be the case as the one reviewed recently sounds much better than the one I have) - but for the one I received - the speaker was crap (lots of background noise) / the sound volume was crap / the sound quality was crap / the ipaq got very hot when it was being charged / the power lead broke twice (replaced without incident by seidio) / the suction mount lost all suction to the screen (the rubber came away from the mount - dumping the ipaq onto the dash and scratching the ipaq - finally I never lost the feeling that this was simply the most over priced piece of kit I had ever brought - I would never had brought it retail at the price I paid if I had seen it first.

Ian
grev
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking at powered & Speaker mounting options for my Ipaq 3970. I was considering the Seidio.
Where did you purchase your Haicom from ?
Do you know whether they do a version for 3970 so that it'll drop into a connector built into the unit ?
Looking at the website, I noted it's got a Ps2 style connector for the GPS unit, do you use this ? I need one which will ideally charge my Tomtom BT.
Grev

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: