Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigtor Maps interchangeable from PPC to Palm?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigtor Maps interchangeable from PPC to Palm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:31 pm    Post subject: TomTom Navigtor Maps interchangeable from PPC to Palm? Reply with quote

Is it possible to use maps from the PPC TTN3 on the Palm TTN4?

I tried to Hotsync a small map from a PPC CD but Hotsync complained that there was no application to support them. Or is there another installation process?
I already have the SD card with a TTN4 map pre-installed which works fine.
The map filenames do look very similar.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they are different versions. On the PocketPC it's version 3 whereas on the Palm (and the Go) it's version 4

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Mr-B
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx - that's rather a pity though. It doesn't make for any flexibility in platform coice.

I was rather thrown by the fact that TomTom appear to indicate that they're the same CD on their web site. The box for, say, Western Europe has even got pics of both PPC and Palm on it.
http://www.tomtom.com/products/products.php?ID=241&Language=1

Also it seems a bit strange considering that they source the maps from a 3rd party.
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you thinking of the Maps or the Navigator program?

My TomTom for Palm Maps indicate version 3

I've tried a freinds Mapdata.POI from their Spanish Map set in the same directory as my MRE maps and the POIs appear correctly on the map....

If someone who owns both PPC and Palm maps could copy the map data over to the correct folder on the Palm SD card to check...
I bet the maps appear in the 'select map menu'
You'd still have to activate the maps with a correct code though and I doubt this would be the same for the Palm as the PPC

Dave
andrewh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the maps are the same. I bought the maps of western Europe for my TT for Palm and it says they are the same maps for TT3 and TT for Palm. They do not work with TT GO.

I expect that you would have to activate them again. It is important to note that maps on Pam appear to work only when installed on a SD Card. I could not install them in Palm memory (Not much point really).

When you say you copied a POI database, presumably this was on PPC as Palm does not yet support user defined POIs. We are waiting!

Andrew
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The maps are identical across the TT3, TT4Palm and TTGO products. The activation and installation is where they differ. The maps need to be activated for each individual product seperatly.

This is more a productisation and packaging issue for TomTom than a technical one. Hopefully they will get this sorted and will have the map data available soon.
Falkien
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew,

Sorry, more speed less haste:
I meant to say that I copied the MAPDATA.DAT from the spanish maps into the MRE directory on my SD card Wink

The Palm version of TTNav (4.12) picks up the new map 'overlay data' I suppose you could call it - MAPDATA.DAT is where all of the POIs for the maps are stored

As regards custom POIs in TomTom Nav for Palm, well I'm working on it
t won't be as flexible as the PPC version but All I'm hoping for is the ability to augment the data supplied with a few POI's or Favourites from an external source. Wink

I was looking at the ,cfg files again today (These are created in the palm internal memory) They appear to store map and Navigator settings Last GPS fix position, Home location and Favourite locations.

I've been Looking at these files and cross referncing the PPC .ov2 format description. It looks like these .cfg files are very similar to the .ov2 files but I'm guessing they are Type 4 records (.ov2 files have type 1 to 3, with other types reserved for future use)

The good news is it looks like the files may store the Favourite positions in te same format 4 byte 32bit LSB first format .ov2 - something that I'd like to check over the weekend Confused

Hope this clears up my previous error

Dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: