Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Streetpilot i3 - Software Enhancement Requests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pauljmuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally am happy using an Excel CSV file, and something like streetmap.co.uk to get long and lats - I use it to upload my work destinations, which due to my job, tend to be in the middle of knowhere... (Certainly without postcodes, mostly)

My main gripes are not being able to back up POI's I load on the move, or the ability to do a proper postcode search for properties that have no number - like my work.

If I put work postcode on the royal mail site - it gives my my work as an option - not a 0 through to 9 option. COme on Garmin!

DSL - Don't Say Leonard
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street map. co.uk doesn't even have my house on it its been buit 3 years now. multimap is better but google maps looks like it will be the best when the UK data is all in there. (its still beta)

Try geocoder.us and the excelent geocoder.ca , we need something like geocoder.ca for the uk but the google maps long , lat for the uk are not accurate enough yet.

Using multimap you only get long lat to the nearest 100 meter square.

Read up on geocoders, its all interesting stuff, if you can white php you can probably write one to batch process loads of addresses through google maps. Trouble is as I said the UK data is not good enough yet. Give it 6 months though.

With regard to the topic - I atempted to start a link concening extracting favourites from an I3 with regard to producing speed camera data bases or exporting your favourites address list to share with a coleage or member of family. Have a look what I said there "Extracing POIs from Garmin I3"

I now understand if you have the Full CD like you get with an C330 you can use that software to extract your favourites.

If you visit a relation or spot a new speed camera you can , save the point as a favourite easily in a second. What you need is to be able to extract and save this info. 1) for backup and 2 to share. The long lat coordinated you will get from the Garmin S/W or from holding down wheel on your Garmin are 10 times more accurate than what comes from street map or multimap.
Thomas_Quest
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BERT_UK wrote:

To be honest, if people really want it then maybe have it as an option. I was just questioning (with others) the need for this option on a small screened (and budget?) GPS unit when you already have this data in your car.

the street pilot i3 is only a budget gps unit in the uk, not in the rest of europe.
price in germany (includs german an czech maps): 399 €-> 270 £
price in switzerland (includes switzerland and austria): CHF 699 -> 306 £

besides i think it should be an option that can be activated or deactivated as well.
Quest
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trueno86 wrote:
the i3 I have (updated to 2.6) says 'turn right' or whatever pretty much exactly at the turn, seems random when it gives the first warning though, sometimes it's 'in 0.3 of a mile turn right', sometimes it's point 0.1 etc

depends on the speed.

at about 30mph you get 0.1miles, about 40/50mph you get about 0.3 on motorways (i.e. 70-90mph) you get about 0.9miles warning.

obviously if you're at 70mph then 0.1miles would be far to short, and equally 0.9miles at 30mph would be too much notice!

MaFt
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
trueno86 wrote:
the i3 I have (updated to 2.6) says 'turn right' or whatever pretty much exactly at the turn, seems random when it gives the first warning though, sometimes it's 'in 0.3 of a mile turn right', sometimes it's point 0.1 etc

depends on the speed.

at about 30mph you get 0.1miles, about 40/50mph you get about 0.3 on motorways (i.e. 70-90mph) you get about 0.9miles warning.

obviously if you're at 70mph then 0.1miles would be far to short, and equally 0.9miles at 30mph would be too much notice!

MaFt

Re an earlier post of mine, on my i3 I get 2 warnings per turning. The first is speed dependent, ie about 0.8 of a mile before the turning when doing 70mph and says something along the lines of '... in .8 miles turn right'. The second warning seems to be far more random and can be given up to about 300 metres before the turning and says 'Turn right' ie 'do it now' except that there is no turning at that point. I find this confusing, especially when there may be 2 or 3 roads down which you could turn. The GPS itself is obviously accurate to within a few metres and I don't see why the second warning cannot be given at the point of turning, as Tom Tom does. That way you know which road to take.
dougconran
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that I'm on v2.5 - does anyone know whether it is different in 2.6? (I suppose I could install v2.6 but 2.5 works for me (apart from the above) and I'm reluctant to change something that ain't broke.
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont think the I3 is as accurate as you think, MaFt.

Remember it can take 15 minutes to find where it is first time you turn it on.

From what I understand about GPS technology. A GPS unit is much better at realising how far it has travelled and in which direction than exactly where it is.

The I3 will take a fix aproximately once every second (I think).
I am pretty sure it will compare its guess at where it is with its maps and assume you are on a road if you are anywhere near one.

I find that after having made several turns in an area on mapped roads the I3 is extremely accurate.
Just after pulling off the supermarket carpark however, i.e. an unmapped area, the I3 will have lost some of its accuracy until I reach the next junction.

Does this make sense?
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There's no way I can save points of interest (e.g Speed cameras) as Favourites and then extract them to my PC in Longitude latitude form to share with the wider Garmin comunity.

This is possible with the Garmin MapSource software, which I got to use with the Etrex. It can then export is a tab-delimited text file. Probably not a very cost-effective solution though Exclamation
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bit on the wish list - I would like to know when the unit has got Differential lock from the WAAS/EGNOS system.
Possibly just a change of colour on the signal stregth display. Idea
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HySeeker wrote:
My bit on the wish list - I would like to know when the unit has got Differential lock from the WAAS/EGNOS system.
Possibly just a change of colour on the signal stregth display. Idea

look at the accuracy level ..if its 30 foot or so -no lock ... less than that -lock......but why do you need to know that?
HySeeker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
look at the accuracy level ..if its 30 foot or so -no lock ... less than that -lock......but why do you need to know that?

I did not say I NEED to know it, but I would like to know, 'cos I am curious like that :-)
I cannot tell from the i3 screen how accurate it is. +/-30 feet should show my position on the wrong side of the road occasionally, or on the verge. However, even with WAAS off, the position appears to be consistent on the RH side of the road (which is pretty good).
PeeBee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Selecting countries Reply with quote

It's not often that I travel to other countries and I woul dguess I am not too unusual in this and so to have to select country before entering address details is a bit of a pain (just a bit though). Perhaps the unit could assume your last selected county when asking for address and either have that pre-selected, or not ask you but have some way of changing country if you need to.

Given that european maps are abreviated (as I understand) why not put the UK countries at the top of the list?

PB
gcb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I cannot tell from the i3 screen how accurate it is. +/-30 feet should show my position on the wrong side of the road occasionally, or on the verge. However, even with WAAS off, the position appears to be consistent on the RH side of the road (which is pretty good).

Try driving (or walking) around the supermarket car park 30 metres 100 ft away from the road. See how close to the road you can get still on the carpark driving (or walking) parallel to the road before the I3 thinks you are on the road.

Part of the error correction in the I3 seems to be to show you on the RH side of the road whenever you are vaugely near it.

I'd say internal accuracy of the I3 may be as poor as about 100ft but this does not prevent the unit from being fit for purpose. Accuracy is improved by clever cross referencing with the map data.

As I say just walk around the supermarket or work carpark with it to confirm this.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my StreetPilot i3 for a couple of days now, and I have to say that I am seriously impressed! 8)

A few things that I have noticed, however:

1. No way to download user-defined POI, only upload them.

2. Can't clear the "Recent Finds" list.

3. Required to enter the space in postcodes.

4. Could do with a counterpart application on the PC, to remotely configure the i3 and to save/load configuration profiles.

If there's a Win32 API or SDK available, I'd be more than happy to have a go at a few of these myself... :D

As a sidenote, I didn't get a software CD with my i3 - although the box says it contains one. Not really a problem as I've downloaded all the necessary from Garmin, just wondering if I've been short-changed!?
PeeBee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my i3 from Comet and it came with an e-mail to store managers stuck to the box saying that a batch of units had been delivered without the CD but these would be sent on in due course (not clear if this would be Comet sending them on or Garmin).

PB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 7 of 14

Jump to: