Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Go 1000 Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Go 1000 Update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JaguarV12e
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get too excited, 10.024 was the update that came out in late January and was then pulled (did it "brick" devices?).

No mention of 3rd party poi support in the change list.
thefella
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering why it wouldn't update, ah well. I'm still waiting, like everyone else for poi's to be able to be put on. Rolling Eyes
jmcmtank
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What worries me is the description from the vanishing update of "Shared POIs". I hope it's just a poor choice of English as my work-related POIs are my business and PGPSW's camera database is, obviously, not a freebie.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As any poi will have to be supplied by TomTom via their new 'Home' I can't see how they will ever be able to install the PGPSW camera db without first negotiating with PGPSW, or having an interface that will collect files from the computer, take them round the internet & then back to the Sat Nav, or am I missing something??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IanS100 wrote:
As any poi will have to be supplied by TomTom via their new 'Home' I can't see how they will ever be able to install the PGPSW camera db without first negotiating with PGPSW, or having an interface that will collect files from the computer, take them round the internet & then back to the Sat Nav, or am I missing something??

Yes, you are.

That's not how it will work, but I can't go into more details I'm afraid.
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
LesP2008 wrote:
Tell me KeithMillar have you actually owned one or tried one of these units?

I'm lucky enough to have access to a Go1000 and also have a Go940.

Without going into all the plusses and minuses of each model all over again (see lots of previous threads for that), I'll just say that if I grab one to take on a journey, it's always the 940.

If the 1000 did everything the 940 did and did it as fast as the 1000 does it's route calculation, I would be ecstatic and use it all the time.

But it doesn't, and never will do, even after all the promised updates..

In particular, what will it not do that you still want?

I have both a 940 and a 1005. I have to say, forgetting the POI discussion for a moment, that I think there are aspects of the 1005 that are fantastic.

The loudspeaker is SO clear and loud compared to the 940.

The mounting bracket is far superior as I often put the 940 on the windscreen and then realised I needed to charge the unit, but then you have to take it off again. The magnetic mechanism with the 1000 series works really well.

The live traffic definitely works better particularly the re-planning around traffic issues. To me, the upgrade is worth it for this alone. It re-plans based not just on missing out the traffic issue and returning to the original reroute, but the optimum route from that displaced diversion point. Sometimes with the 940 it knew there was traffic but by the time it recalculated a diversion it was too late and I was already stuck in it missing the escape opportunity.

As a bluetooth handsfree it works a lot better, callers hear me more easily and combined with the better speaker, its a much better experience.

I love the bigger screen of the 1005. The glare hasn't given me an issue yet, but the additional contrast and vividness of the screen is obvious. The touchscreen is easier to use especially with the bigger size.

I understand TomTom screwed up big time with the POI issue in particular. There is no forgiving this. But I do feel that many have a skewed perception of the rest of the device because of this. Once this is solved, hopefully very soon indeed, then I think others will see the value of the new model.

I never used the FM, or mp3 capabilities. I have used the itinerary planning and will welcome its return. The only other one is EPT for tunnels, for which I think it is a shame that it is not in the new models although I have been rarely in need of it.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, if you'd like to see Andy's complaints on the new models they're quite easy to find. Suffice to say it's not just about the POI's Rolling Eyes No map updates, no itinerary planning, no. . .

The bigger issue in all of this is that Tomtom has significant issues with their new interface no matter what your view on the overall device, and it's honestly shocking IMO. The 1xxx's were demo'd and announced approaching a year ago. Map updates, which should have been one of the easier rollouts, now over two months past promised, and currently using data compiled last May. Tomtom has sometimes taken some time to work out various isolated issues, but the problems with these new models are taking a ridiculous amount of time to sort. They've been working on the new interface for over a year considering they demo'd working devices in May 2010. I would assume it's their top priority, thus even more concerning that it's still not offering what TomTom indicated it would.

There are no excuses for the flagship TomTom models to continue shipping in a handicapped state months after formal retail release. Really doesn't matter if some particular buyers find their new TomTom suitable. It's not what TomTom promised it would be and seems exceedingly diffficult for them to make it so.

Just my .02

Last edited by gatorguy6996 on Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
jonstatt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But nobody has really out of date maps yet because the devices haven't been in the shops all that long yet!

I realise there are things missing. But fundamentally the device is there to get you from A to B as efficiently as possible. And I can see it is doing a better job at doing that than the 940.

You can get easily hung up on what's wrong with it. I am just injecting a balanced view by mentioning what they got right too!
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, to be fair there is much to like about the 1xxx's according to some users. That's good. But it's beginning to look like new and improved models may be announced and perhaps shipping before the full functionality of the current 1000's (and North American 2xxx) is enabled. I'm sure that's not what early buyers last fall expected. I'm also sure even XtraSeller, one of the devices most ardent supporters, would admit to that.

[Edited for spelling
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The long-awaited POI functionality has been implemented today.
As posts were already appearing in several places, I've split today's posts about it into a newly named topic, and I'll close this one now.

See
User-POI update now available - 14th Feb 2011

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: