Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: i have the 310 Reply with quote

Purchased yesterday, i plugged it all in and uploaded every driver possible.
My unit connected to the pc using usb cable cannot aquire a lock through my window am i doing somithing wrong of is it pants. The unit is fantastic and i would never consider going back to tele atlas maps after all we are talking navigation for looks.

It may be down to the fact in not in a good area for reception ? Aylesbury any ideas please post.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: i have the 310 Reply with quote

wilburforce wrote:
My unit connected to the pc using usb cable cannot aquire a lock through my window am i doing somithing wrong of is it pants.
What are you having problems with - the GPS reception or the Traffic reception?

For the GPS - make sure the aerial at the back is sticking out, and take the unit outside with a clear view of the sky and just sit still until it finds the satellites. The first time this can take some while.

For traffic, there are many variables, so I would need to know which cable is plugged in where, what you are doing, and how you know it's not working - for example, I've just tried mine (probably accessing the same radio transmitter and it is at least working right now).
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: still no data endless searching Reply with quote

I guess i may not have a power issue yet.
However the endless searching after i clear the list is so slow may be i need to drive around a bit.
I personally think that i may be like the rest, unless they get a power message.

I wish someone sourced a higher power usb lead for the 310 soon.
bunchy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first post, but this thread is of great interest to me.

I have a 2720 and purchased a GTM 11 receiver from GPS Warehouse.

The GTM 11 appeared to work fine initially, but on a couple of journeys to Leeds from Shropshire, I was not getting any warning of quite significant delays on the M62. The reason was zero signal strength!

Since then I have tried both the wip and wire antenna's with little success.
Oh, and FYI, my car glass isn't that UV coated nonense stuff!

The M6 between J13 and J18 is one area where there are extended periods of no reception, therefore no traffic updates.

I have just hard wired the wire antenna into the car ariel, and had a massive increase in signal strength.

I have yet to test it on long distance yet but I'll report back with results.

Not sure this is any help to you GTM 12 guys but I guess it's a problem across the board that Garmin need to address.

Just my penny's worth

Stu.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There do seem to be two distinct problems - the GTM10/11 really need a connection to the car aerial to function properly, whereas the GTM12 seems to pull too much power for the supplied car charging cable to provide. I think this problem also affects the GTM21 of the C510D / C550, but as that is a combined cable, they can't even experiment with other cables.

I do sometimes wonder whether the periods of no signal is the unit failing to cope with the frequency change, and simply spending too long looking for another radio station to connect to.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Email Reply with quote

swing wrote:
For example, by the time I arrived home last night my unit had no traffic data, yet a power off and power on (and plugging into a my computer), and lo! all the traffic appeared again. In fact, I think it only lost the traffic data due to losing power during the journey.
Apparently the next Nuvi firmware, due very soon, helps with the "Nuvi on/off problems when a GTM is connected"
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In case anyone missed it in an another thread, links to GCap and Chrysalis stations and coverage are as follows:

http://www.gcapmedia.com/assets/dynamic/8/files/brand_portfolio_map_feb_2006.pdf

http://chrysalis.com/index.php?object=187

Had a chance to use the new 12v cable Garmin posted to me. This one has a clear led on the plug. Plugged this into the socket and it turned green. Plugged the Nuvi in with a dead battery but did not turn the Nuvi on. LED turned red and the unit said it was charging.

An hour later the screen said that charging was complete but when I turned the Nuvi on the battery indicator was only showing 1/2 strength. Three hours later the battery was showing full strength but the LED was still red. Garmin helpdesk has told me this would be green! Despite this problem, the battery appears to have retained the charge this time. Previoulsy the Nuvi idicated it was charging from the car but in reality this was not occuring.

Did a short trip later hoping that the new power supply cable would solve the TMC issues but receieved no data for 20 minutes and then only 1 piece of information appeared for the A10 in London. I can't believe that there were no traffic hold-ups or roadworks on the M25 today! Does anyone know if the traffic data displayed on the Nuvi is set by proximity, ie. do you only receive data for roads within say a 50 km radius rather
than for the whole of the UK?

Halfords still refusing to refund or exchange the unit. In conclusion, my new 12v power cable is an improvement on the original but still does not a)fully function properly (re. colour change of LED) and b) does not improve the position re. TMC.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a long journey up North next week, don't fancy being stuck on the A1!

Nick
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:04 am    Post subject: Nuvi 360 plus GTM 12 Reply with quote

I am having reception problems with the GTM 12 as well. My gut feeling is the little bit of wire for the aerial is not adequate for reception of this service and the only way you will get reasonable reception is by using your car aerial (only possible with the GTM12 by stripping the aerial wire and connecting up).

I have emailed Garmin about a week ago and they haven't replied about this problem - very disappointing. The company I bought the Nuvi from (GPS) say you only get traffic info when the info changes so that might explain why its so rare!! (I don't think this is the reason for the problem).

I can get traffic info if I stick the wire out of my upstairs window in the house - and I get info for all round the country. However I only get about twenty messages - whereas there must be loads more road works, traffic holdups. I wonder if the service is not even very comprehensive when it works. I have emailed RAC (as its RAC live service) - but they haven't replied either!!!!!

I am going to wait a few more days to see if I get any replies and then try and return the whole lot.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n4nick wrote:
Had a chance to use the new 12v cable Garmin posted to me. This one has a clear led on the plug. Plugged this into the socket and it turned green. Plugged the Nuvi in with a dead battery but did not turn the Nuvi on. LED turned red and the unit said it was charging.
If I plug in the charger into the always live socket in my car, it turns Green, but once everything is connected up and the car is turned on, it goes red, and as far as I know stays red (I no longer use it).

Although I don't know if the traffic information is for the whole country or not, I've seen nearly 200 TMC messages with distances listed as far away as 150miles, so if there is a limit, it's not obvious what it is!

Have you tried with the Nuvi connected to your computer? Plug the computer USB lead into the back of the mount (it won't have a data connection, but will power the Nuvi), and then plug the GTM12 in normally. Even if you can't get a GPS lock, you should after a minute or two start to see the traffic info streaming in.

If this works, you don't have a faulty GTM12, nor Nuvi, and like others, you will have pinned the problems down to the charger.

Personally, I use a cigarette to USB adapter (found lying around the house), and then a standard USB cable - the Garmin cable seems very good, although a little short, so I'm going to try a longer cable, but I'm not sure this longer cable is letting enough power through either, so I might be back to the Garmin cable by next weekend.

mwfox - you might want to try the same trick... When I've done this in the house (many times now), it's shown even with the little antenna cable wound up it is good enough to get the signal.

Garmin take an age to respond to emails, if it's something you can't get answered here in the forums, the best solution is to ring them (upto 30 minutes wait, but they are generally helpful) - unfortunately, the only time I've heard them give duff information is related to the RDS-TMC service Sad
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 360 plus GTM 12 Reply with quote

mwfox wrote:
The company I bought the Nuvi from (GPS) say you only get traffic info when the info changes so that might explain why its so rare!! (I don't think this is the reason for the problem).
When you first turn the unit on, it will receive all the traffic information. It will continue to receive all that information on a repeating cycle (approx. every 5 minutes) - obviously once it has the information it will only change the list if the data changes, and it will only highlight any new traffic on your route if there is any, but it continues to receive it all.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the obvious (stronger and more stable power) when the Nuvi/GM12 is powered via a laptop could the improved TMC reception also be due to the aerial being better placed than when in a car ie higher up and not shielded ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly, although my first set of tests were in a bungalow 50 yards from the car, so height didn't factor into the equation.

Equally, sat in the same location inside the car I swapped from the supplied car charger to my cigarette to USB adaptor (with Garmin USB lead) and the signal improved from nothing to literally hundreds of traffic reports (morning rush hour).

So, although reception and other factors may be playing a part in the good and bad signals, certainly getting the power supply right seems (for me) to have the greatest influence.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: signal or power, maybe a bit of both Reply with quote

Yesterday I went from Aylesbury to Henley on Thames

Unit fully charged……
Aerial: horizontal
Charger light: Red In car start of journey
Traffic button: reported traffic with data
Journey sent me down some small track paths?

There was heavy congestion on road was I sent that way automatically because of data report?

Return journey
Unit fully charged……
Aerial: horizontal / vertical
Charger light: Red
Traffic button: No data
Journey massive 2 hour jam stuck in it.

This could be a number of things did the unit have enough power initially to get the signal and then loose it as it ran down?
Was the area I was in not covered?

I am seriously considering the tt510 with aerial as that actually seems to work by the forums, it just a matter of size.

Going to wrap silver foil around antenna and see if it is a reception issue.
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tested the power outputs from the ciggy charger, pins 1&4 are the power terminals with an output of 6volts on pin 1 and 5volts on pin 4, both voltages are well inside the required voltage for USB.
Both voltages remain stable regardless of car battery state or alternator output when tested between 12volts and 14.8 volts.
Without knowing the internals workings of the Nuvi I guess that each output powers an individual mini USB port, it would be nice to be able to swop the two power leads over as see what happens!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it's producing a constant voltage - I wonder if it's a "power" issue then - ie the amount of current being sent down it...

Out of interest, what does the Garmin USB computer lead provide on the same pins?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 5 of 44

Jump to: