Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Camera Manager Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Camera Manager Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 75, 76, 77  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, signed up here today and this immediately caught my eye as I've got a Nuvi 760 and am not especially happy with the Garmin supplied camera database.

I've got camera manager and done an update and all is well but I have a question...

After I downloaded and installed the database using poiloader I checked all the timings and tweaked some of the settings a bit - Is it possible to now simply tell camera manager to apply those changed timings to the stored database and re-upload it?

Also, I like the idea of adding voices so that it reads out the speed to me like my now redundant Origin B2 thingie. I'm happy to pay for this option and it looks as though I have to make a donation to do it - No problem, with that, but I'm not 100% sure if it's going to work on my unit. I've had a quick read through the thread but 34 pages is a bit daunting to try and take it all in.

So apologies if I'm repeating what's already been covered, but are voice warnings likely to work with my Nuvi and is it straightforward enough to set up?

Thanks.

Keith.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feekus wrote:
After I downloaded and installed the database using poiloader I checked all the timings and tweaked some of the settings a bit - Is it possible to now simply tell camera manager to apply those changed timings to the stored database and re-upload it?

If you change any of the settings and click on OK/Apply, Camera Manager will regenerate the database if necessary, and prompt you to update your device.

Feekus wrote:
Also, I like the idea of adding voices so that it reads out the speed to me like my now redundant Origin B2 thingie. I'm happy to pay for this option and it looks as though I have to make a donation to do it - No problem, with that, but I'm not 100% sure if it's going to work on my unit.

Sorry, I can't help with this one - would anybody with a 760 care to comment?
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, excellent Ash, thanks for the quick reply. Tomorrow will tell as I go past a camera on my way to work.
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feekus wrote:
Tomorrow will tell as I go past a camera on my way to work.

Let's be careful out there... Laughing
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always am, always am...

Looks as though this tool is going to be useful to me even as is without playing around with the sound files - Donation sent, have a couple of pints on me, thanks Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can download the sound file from here but they'll need to be converted to mp3.

Then make sure you have your files in sets of 3.

ie.
Gatso.gpx
Gatso.bmp
Gatso.mp3

When a Camera from the Gatso file is close it'll play the Gatso.mp3 warning instead of the Bongs.

---
As an aside i've had to stop using the CM. With the i3 it worked perfectly. A single Bong at 20 seconds to a fixed camera and the continuous bong, bong, bong if i am Overspeed with 10 seconds or less to the camera. Perfect.

However with the nuvi 760 Garmin have altered the timings of the bongs. The initial bong is ok but the Overspeed bongs aren't so "urgent" or rapid, so to get the urgent overspeed warning you need to set a longer Overspeed distance or just get 1 or 2 bongs in 10 seconds instead of the old 6 or 7......

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh great, I'll have a look at those sound files when I get home from work tonight, thanks.

Noticed on the way to work this morning that as I approached a mobile camera location on the dual carriageway I got the 1st warning at the correct time, but I only had an overspeed warning as I was almost literally on top of the camera - I was only a few mph over the limit but thought I should get that slightly earlier, I assume that's what you mean by the timing? What's the way around that?

Ta.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Noticed on the way to work this morning that as I approached a mobile camera location on the dual carriageway I got the 1st warning at the correct time, but I only had an overspeed warning as I was almost literally on top of the camera - I was only a few mph over the limit but thought I should get that slightly earlier, I assume that's what you mean by the timing? What's the way around that?

Exactly.

I haven't got a solution yet. Crying or Very sad

I've tried altering the timings to no avail either it's way too early or too late. I've tried the mp3 alerts, but you get 2 quickly at the initial distance and then again one right on top of the camera.

I've resorted to using the built in alerts and an unaltered database at the minute. It's better but the alert distances are too long. The other advantage of doing this is that the alert banner is in red and not grey too...
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
However with the nuvi 760 Garmin have altered the timings of the bongs. The initial bong is ok but the Overspeed bongs aren't so "urgent" or rapid, so to get the urgent overspeed warning you need to set a longer Overspeed distance or just get 1 or 2 bongs in 10 seconds instead of the old 6 or 7......

You could try different versions of firmware - I know that the repeat rate of the overspeed bongs is something that Garmin like to fiddle with.

You could also use Voice Utility to tweak the overspeed bong - and make the sound sample itself repeat (ie: go bong-bong-bong), rather than rely on the device to play the sound repeatedly...
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could try different versions of firmware - I know that the repeat rate of the overspeed bongs is something that Garmin like to fiddle with.

It was something that came up with other nuvi before i believe. My 760 shipped with 2.30 (i think) and i updated to 2.60. I don't think there are that many to play with..

Quote:
You could also use Voice Utility to tweak the overspeed bong - and make the sound sample itself repeat (ie: go bong-bong-bong), rather than rely on the device to play the sound repeatedly...

I toyed with the idea and started to do a test with the i3. Haven't had the time to complete it yet. Also i use the TTS voice and i don't think VM supports the TTS files...
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
You can download the sound file from here but they'll need to be converted to mp3.

Then make sure you have your files in sets of 3.
--snip---

Paul, that's great - I followed the guide in the "Voice warnings/alerts with Garmin Nuvi." thread as well as what you said and it's working perfectly, I now have the sounds with the warnings. I chose Liz as the voice and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I just went for a spin to the local mobile camera location to test it.

Not sure how more involved it is to get those files working with the Camera Manager, but manually they worked perfectly.

Thanks Smile
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not sure how more involved it is to get those files working with the Camera Manager

Run Camera Manager and rename the files appropriately, then you need do no more. At each release CM will do it's magic and the mp3 will be there ready to be uploaded to your unit....
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feekus wrote:
I chose Liz as the voice and I nearly jumped out of my skin when I just went for a spin to the local mobile camera location to test it.

If you are using a TTS voice on your nuvi, the basic Liz voice can be a bit loud! I found that, when converting to .mp3, if you reduce the volume by -10dB then it matches the route voice - less likely to cause you to jump!
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure I've got it sorted now, I've sorted out a custom set of bmp files and also done some editing to the audio files so that I now have the missing ones and every database/bmp has an associated sound file.

It's just the timings now, and it looks from the comments above that it's a problem with the current Garmin firmware that's causing that Sad
sdemills
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Ash10 vs Spyware Reply with quote

Ash10's utility looks really great. After switching from Garmin's speed camera POIs to PocketGPSWorld's speed camera POIs I'm finding some POIs don't provide a chime/alert on my nuvi 660 like they used to with the Garmin POIs. So I figure Ash10's great little utility will do this for me.

However my PC security system won't let me go to the site link shown in this thread as it says this is a known and reported Spyware site!!!

Is there any other site I can pick up this utility from?

Kind Regards
Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 75, 76, 77  Next
Page 34 of 77

Jump to: