Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin Technologies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin Technologies
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"To Err Is Human - To Really Foul Things Up Requires A Computer! (or SatNav)"

Well as I now have a computer and a satnav, I should be able to really foul things up. Thanks for your guidance BB. :D
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lads,

Have been following your posts above, glad to see you have now got some "kit" to play with, strange, DS kicks us off and we all go out buying Sat Navs.

Nuttynurse wrote:
Quote:
Well as I now have a computer and a satnav, I should be able to really foul things up.

Glad you finally got there nuttynurse, you certainly did some research, hope you enjoy your holiday. You have no excuse now in getting lost as well as speeding, so don't foul things up.

BBQKing looks like we will have to get you some "kit" to review, your talents are otherwise wasted.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GJF

Well in the end I was fed up with you guys having all the fun. Though I've always liked the Nuvi I did really alway want something which featured a top quality speedcamera database, afterall that's what the DS was for. For a hundred pounds extra it made sense to have the satnav feature of the Pogo Drive rather than the Alert. The satnav may not have quite the features of the TT or Nuvi but hopefully it will prove more than adequate in getting me there and without 'GETTING LOST' or with so many point on my license that I'm not able to make the return journey.

No doubt you will recall that I was very interested in the "DS Mercury" and I would have bought this had it not proven to be vapour ware, so now spending my time on this forum rather than the DS hasn't really influenced my decision that much, its just opened up the choices. I guess we had all become a bit blinkered in our support of DS. Its nice that Pocketgps's forum have proven so tolerant of our migration over to here don't you think? By the way has there been any development on the DS Refugees having their own cubby hole space?

I'm supporting the pocketgps database non-the-less and intend installing it on my brother's Garmin i3, old I know, but a good little unit and not nearly as old as me. This will give me the DS, i3 and Pogo to experiment with on hols. Should drive my wife and brother completely cuckoo by the end of it. I can see my wife now retreating to a set of headphones to listen to Katherine Jenkins and my bro will try and overpower me with Bob Dylan. Let battle commence. :D
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NN, hope you have an excellent holiday. I will be very interested to hear what you have to say about the PogoDrive upon your return.

Personally, I don't think I will give up my TT Go 300 - despite a couple of niggles with it, it is an excellent unit. I think in most cases, any TomTom is the standard by which all others are judged by. My next trip, I will just take the PogoDrive on its own, and rely on its navigational capabilites.

One thought for you NN, maybe you could initially try the PogoDrive WITHOUT using the i3 as comparison, at least for your first trip! Sometimes peoples impressions are tainted because they will try a side-by-side comparison first. Also, remember you cannot download the most up-to-date database to the unit without registering the unit with Origin first.

Have a good break!

BB
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, this is Origin Technologies response with regards to mobile sites (Talivans):

Quote:
The Pogo Drive uses the Origin b2 award winning database. At this time it does not hold, as you word it 'talivan' locations.

The Pogo Drive covers all of the fixed camera locations and camera types as the b2. The unit will speak to you as long as (not that I am asking you to be) you are above the speed limit at the time of the FIRST ALERT status.

BB
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another observation:

craigpenton is right. The PogoDrive will NOT announce the camera type (or speed) unless you are above the speed limit for that camera / hazard at the point of the first warning. It will only beep twice. Should you be over the speed limit, it will verbally warn you of the camera type and speed limit, and will count down (using 1 second beeps) to the camera, and make the screen borders turn red. The red broders will disappear once you are below the speed limit.

Should you be under the speed limit at the time of the first warning, then nudge over the limit on your approach to the camera, it again will start the beeping countdown sequence to the camera, and turn the screen borders red, but will not verbally warn you of the camera type/speed limit.
Hope this makes sense.

Lastly, the SatNav part of the unit, I am now erring on the side of "I'm happy with it" attitude. Like I say, not quite TomTom, but I like it more than say a Garmin i3 (which my wife uses).
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BBQ,

Here's an awkward question for ya! Wink

Can you explain what it is that was making you uncomfortable with the satnav side of things? You mentioned the lack of waypoints but this is something I personally have no requirement for hence doesn't bother me at all. What worried me was the fact that you intended to keep TT 8O

The reason I ask is that like many people I was considering the Drive over the Alert for the additional 100 pound but if the satnav isn't as good as TT (which I'm used to) then I might just go for the Alert and continue to use TT5 on my smartphone for Satnav.

Craig
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB,
I have received the Pogo at 8.45am. I ordered it through www.pogo.gps-co.uk So a pretty good service to start with. On removing the outer packaging, I did get the impression that the item itself had been already opened before being sent out. It was not shrink wrapped and the box and its inners showed signs of being previously opened. Whether they do this to check contents or not I don't know, or whether it was a repackage return, who knows.

If you want a good Laughing just listen to this. I sat in the car, attached the mount plugged in the power lead and waited. I thought this unit could do with a indicator light to say that it was on in some way. Mmm Just wait a while I though. Embarassed moment of synapse sparking again, I had just realised that I had plugged the power lead into the headphone socket at the side rather than the 12v powerpoint underneath. So what ever contribution I make from here on, take it with a pinch of salt.

At the moment I have just registered and updated, I think, to ver 1.0.0.2. All seemed to go flawlessly. Having initially loaded the disc that came with it, this installer programme was the first update recommended once online and proceeded without a hitch. I then pressed the update icon a second time and the database updated.

To date I have only sat in the car whilst the pogo charged somewhat. I have gone through the various menu's and they appear pretty straight forward. I like the sound of the warning tones nice to be able to vary the volume etc. Touch screen feels very responsive even with its protective plastic cover still on. Route planning does appear to have the range of settings of a more dedicated system but again I guess this is the trade off of a combined system. I have run the Demo mode just to get an impression of what happens but keen to put into practise now. Trouble is I've got the prospect of facing congested roads around me as people head to the Cheltenham Festival at the racecourse, Gold Cup week.

Difficult to compare build quality with anything else as I haven't used one before other than my bro's i3 on two occasions. However, first impressions, not an unattractive unit and now that I have put the power lead in the right place it lite up. It feels quite a weighty item which I guess is down to the internal organs rather than the case, but it certainly doesn't feel flimsy. Well thats m first impressions over.

I am surprised that Origin have listed Mobile sites on their database description if it does'nt alert to these. It also seems a strange omission not to have these on the database considering how many there are and for me this is a minus. Surely this is very misleading and a mis-represantation and they should at the very least revise this list.

I take on board what you are saying re running the pogo alone for the first trial and will do this, thanks. Just 48 hrs before setting off. I will have the chance to experience most camera types I suspect as there is now a specs setup somewhere towards Exeter.

No doubt we will be exchanging posts again later. See you then. NN
nuttynurse
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website link above is wrong, should be www.pogo.gps.co.uk
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi craigpenton

craigpenton wrote:
What worried me was the fact that you intended to keep TT 8O

The reason I ask is that like many people I was considering the Drive over the Alert for the additional 100 pound but if the satnav isn't as good as TT (which I'm used to) then I might just go for the Alert and continue to use TT5 on my smartphone for Satnav.

I am only holding onto my TT Go 300 due to sentimental reasons more than anything else. Even before I got the PogoDrive, I was using my Dell Axim with TT Navigator 6 for almost all of my journey's. Even then I didn't have the heart to say "goodbye" to the Go.

I've been so used to using one of the better SatNav systems out there, that, as previously mentioned to NN, its has probably coloured my initial response to the PogoDrive SatNav - I really need to use it more over the next couple of weeks to get a more qualified opinion of it. As before though, the speed cam detection is, in my opinion, quite excellent. It really does "jerk" the drive back into concentration plus its alerting abilities extend beyond most of the other units "addon". I still rate its detection and alerting better than the DS!!
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nuttynurse wrote:
The website link above is wrong, should be www.pogo.gps.co.uk

NN, don't you mean www.pogo-gps.co.uk??

Also, I purchased mine from here:

www.pogostore.co.uk - Another authorised Origin reseller!!

BB
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBQ,

Right, so basically it's just different rather than not as good (excluding the missing waypoint feature) and there are no other problems that you can think of? Cool! Smile

Another quick question ... is there a speed-sensitive volume setting on either the alerts or voice navigation side of things? If not, does this cause difficulties at higher speeds? (I have a Clio that can be quite noisy at higher speeds)

NN,

Glad to hear you've joined the PogoDrive owners club and I look forward to more info once you've had a little more time to play! (thanks for your initial view btw! :D )

Thanks both!

Craig
BBQKing
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigpenton wrote:
BBQ,

Another quick question ... is there a speed-sensitive volume setting on either the alerts or voice navigation side of things? If not, does this cause difficulties at higher speeds? (I have a Clio that can be quite noisy at higher speeds)

Both the navigation volume and the camera/hazard volume can be set individually. The navigation volume is probably a tad quieter than TT, but I may have set its volume level to 80%. The speed cam alerts are at 60% and that is quiet loud, due to it being a "shrill" type of sound. You can also set Accident Blackspots, School Zones, Congestion Charge, Muted Volume and Overspeed alert volumes independently. Each one is a different pitch to each other. Finally there are external master up/down volume buttons on the front of the unit.

BB
craigpenton
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant! ... I hadn't realised the buttons on the front were master volume :D :D :D

(OK, I realise how sad that sounds but this wasn't the case on the Syrius and it was dangerous to attempt to change the volume through via the screen whilst driving)

I'm starting to get tempted guys!! (although I am trying really hard to wait and see if anything really interesting is thrown into the pot from Cebit)

Thanks again BBQ!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuttynurse - you should find Specs cameras just as you approach Exeter. You should also find temporary cameras as you go past Bristol.

Pardon me butting in folks, but what's so special about this Pogodrive? Can somebody with both it and TT GO tell me why it's supposed to be better than the TT? I mean, it looks to me like much dearer than the GO710 without Europe street level mapping, and even just a bit dearer than the GO910 with all the features that has. And their camera subscription is £50 a year compared to £19 for PGPSW cameras. I've only ever had GOs - 300, 700, 710 and 910 and want them for navigation plus pgpsw speed cameras. Am I missing something important?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 4 of 18

Jump to: