Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

REVIEW COMMENTS: TomTom GO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 33, 34, 35  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Go -- Go Buy a PDA.... Reply with quote

Kirium wrote:
Help me please -- I don't get it, why would you spend all that money on a TT Go when you can spend a fraction of that amount and get a PDA -- with more Sat Nav functionality, a Calender, Explorer, E-Mail, Contacts and Strip Poker II ??!!??

Strikes me the only reason you would buy one of these is cos your scared of something "Technical", bet you don't program your VCR and haven't got one of those "newfangled" DvD thingies .... Rolling Eyes

it's pretty easy. it doesn't run PalmOS or worse, a windows variant.
it runs linux, which is known to be more stable. I haven't seen it crashing once. both ipaqs and the tungsten have bene crashing on my hands without doing weird things.

secondly, the unit is a _navigation unit_. e.g. it navigates. it's NOT a PDA at all. (albeit the hardware is fully capable of being a PDA).

Another striking reason is that the quality of the speaker outperforms all PDAs heard so far. and not with a little bit...

given the known stories of the PDAs that crash and don't function, together with many PDA systems with separate GPS etc, I opt for the TTGO hands down. Besides, if you take a look at similar hard- and software, you will find that your solution isn't all that ceap at all. Unless you steal the software, that is...

in all respects, it outperforms the PDA solutions
Thumbs Up
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And....

Just looking at the front page of http://www.easydevices.co.uk/, the TTG is cheaper than a pda bundle...

So, better volume, more reliable, easier, and the real crux for me, it fits into my car satnav cubby so I just close the lid at the end of a drive and that's it.

I have come to the TTG from the pda route and am happier with the TTG for use as satnav in the car.

And yes, before my present job (see profile), I used to build networks.
imapbox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
And....

Just looking at the front page of http://www.easydevices.co.uk/, the TTG is cheaper than a pda bundle...

So, better volume, more reliable, easier, and the real crux for me, it fits into my car satnav cubby so I just close the lid at the end of a drive and that's it.

I have come to the TTG from the pda route and am happier with the TTG for use as satnav in the car.

I was at a computer store lately and the man said "too expensive". I showed him the sound. told him to tell me what a similar product would cost. I paid E720.... his price was, including a cradle more expensive. this was an ipaq.
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you bought one ???

To answer your points .. I can get you an PDA based TT3 with a mouse and in car mounting kit for less than £300, I haven't seen a TTG for less than £450

I have been using an iPAQ setup thru TT2 to TT3 and haven't had "crashes" as you put it, I've never had to so much as re-install it in a year.

A PDA soloution is so much more than just Sat Nav.... pick up your e-mail with TTG ?? thought not.

If people want to rip TT3 then thats up to them -- your right though it does make it even cheaper (I hasten to add I'm fully paid up)

I don't have an issue with volume -- I use an iPAQ 3660 which has a lovely big speaker on it (which is one reason why I haven't upgraded) beside that the WAV files seem to be a lot louder on TT3 anyway, in fact I have had to turn mine down.

Bet you haven't got a DvD ... or set the VCR Happy

A PDA solution is incomparable to TTG in everyway -- Its much more than just Sat Nav Thumbs Up
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I binned my VCR 1.5 years ago!! All HDD recording for me, I'm afraid....
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes two of us, though my kids still have them (less breakable) but you should know better than TTG my friend Confused
pottsy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirium, mate, are you just trolling for the sake of it. This will be my last post, simply because I'm off to bed and on earlies tomorrow (2.5 day trip).

Imagine.... You just want nav in the car. You don't want a pda. Yep, please no pda. Just good, solid, reliable nav. You don't own a Renault Laguna 2, but a 350Z.

Options...

£2000 Nissan CD based satnav installed in cubby.

£400 to £500 pda stuck onto the windscreen. Nowhere on the dash for it (this is what I used to have, a Garmin IQue 3600). You have to attach it and remove it every drive. It sticks out like a sore thumb.

£425 TTG which goes exactly where the factory fit item goes, and does the same job. No insert and remove procedure. Just open the cubby and press power on.

The TTG is going to sell well, because it does what manufacturers £1500 systems do for £425.

I can operate a DVD, program a VCR, C++, java, VB, pascal and even Z80 machine language. I can certainly operate the computers on my company vehicle (a yank tank made by Boeing).

Get it yet?

PS I could use a pda as a complex remote control, but as everyone knows this is also a compromise and a Pronto does a much better job.
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You REALLY did buy one Laughing

A bit defensive and abusive there mate -- calm down. Its my opinion and I'm entitled to it as are you to yours. Less of the aggression I say.

If your daft enough to part with the wedge buy a 350Z (poors mans boxster) then your daft enough to buy TTG I say.

I thought a budding einstein as yourself would realise that pronto can be run on a PDA, you don't need to buy a Pronto remote for a few hundred quid, but then again, I guess you like being parted with your cash ...

Enjoy your flight....
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pottsy wrote:
Kirium, mate, are you just trolling for the sake of it. .

Pottsy, i agree with you.

Pda, and TT Go are two entirely different systems. TT Go being the "Stand Alone GPS".

As for kirium, his profile says it all.

Don't buy from this guy,, he'll stab you in the back.
Lampman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we can all differ in our opinions of the right Sat Nav gear,though I thought this thread was to help each other by discussing the pros and cons of buying the TOMTOM GO system........not to dis each others choice of motor vehicle.
Rolling Eyes
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although Kirium is being somewhat inflamatory he is also somewhat myopic.

The reason that TomTom have developed the GO is precicely because people were buying PDAs that they didnt want or use most of the functionality just for GPS navigation. They then found they were getting flooded with support calls because this didnt work with that etc.

TomTom have done thier market research and have decided to invest a significant amount of capital in this new product. They obviously think there is a market for it, and so do the customers who are buying them almost as fast as they can make them.

At the end of the day it is different horses for different courses. What works well for you does not mean it will work for someone else.

Last edited by MikeB on Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
sifi
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Mike B and Pottsy. Also, I think Kirium is partly doing a “wind up” on people.

I have a question to the team or others. If a mapping error is found like on pottsy’s maps (page 23), is it better to report the error straight to Teleatlas or to Tomtom who may have “more weight”?

How much do updated maps cost when they are released?
Kirium
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spotted sifi, all I can say is laughter is the best medicine and there are a lot of sick people out there...

My original post was meant as a light hearted bit of fun to provoke some banter, I didnt realise my profession, car and lifestyle would be subjected to abuse in open forum and via PM, I think I've touched a raw nerve regard TTG and Technophobes ?? I have no doubt it will/is selling well, I just wondered why people were buying them and indeed if they offered more than a PDA solution. Stripping out the abuse, I find both my questions answered, shame we couldn't have had a laugh whilst doing it..,
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifi wrote:
I have a question to the team or others. If a mapping error is found like on pottsy’s maps (page 23), is it better to report the error straight to Teleatlas or to Tomtom who may have “more weight”?

The best thing to do is report all errors directly to the mapping source, for TT that is Teleatlas.

Typically TomTom and other companies release maps and new software on an annual basis.

Teleatlas themselves have only just started to issue updates on a quarterly basis, which then takes a considerable time to conveert, productise and test before they could even be considered releasable.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we also have to remember that TomTom 3 software only is around £115, and a new CD / DVD set for a fixed SatNav solution is around the same price - and we get a lot more software updates than the fixed system.

The big difference is that the fixed SatNav systems seem to have a quarterly or 6 monthly release schedule, meaning that for the same cost you feel you are more up to date.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 24 of 35

Jump to: