Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - problem updating my TT940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - problem updating my TT940
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
The link does work. Download the compressed file to a location on your Mac. Then use Stuffit to extract the contents of the compressed file to your unit, overwriting if prompted.

I said it doesn't work "for me". I'm not making it up. I have unchecked the "open safe files after downloading" checkbox as that gives this sort of problem.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried another Mac, same problem. I'll go and find a Windows machine.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem can occur on Windows PCs when zip or rar files are associated with the wrong program. Could this happen with a Mac?
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
This problem can occur on Windows PCs when zip or rar files are associated with the wrong program. Could this happen with a Mac?

No it's the download that's failing, not the unpacking. However, I have just downloaded it on a PC and moved it across to my Mac, where it unpacked quite happily with Stuffit.

Out of academic interest would someone else with a Mac try that link (perhaps something has changed since it last worked on a Mac). It fails on all 4 Macs in my house.

(few minutes later)
Just tried it on a Mac 200 miles away via Remote Desktop, still fails.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine on my Mac.

Ctrl-click the file and "Download linked file".

Ctrl-click the downloaded file and "Open with Stuffit Expander (default)".

Job done.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
Works fine on my Mac.

Ctrl-click the file and "Download linked file".

Ctrl-click the downloaded file and "Open with Stuffit Expander (default)".

Job done.

OK thanks. Normally on a download link I can just click it but in this case I seem to need to right click.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Download the Navcore for your device by clicking Here and save it to your computer, you then need to extract the files and folders from the download straight to the drive letter associated with your device, if you have access to a PC then I would use WinRar on the PC to extract the files to the device as I am not to sure as to what applications can sucessfully install the Navcore using a MAC - Mike

I have only just got around to doing this however I am having a problem. I can see the TT quite happily from my Mac and see all the files and it's formatted as FAT-32 size 4GB. However, when I plug it into a Windows PC it says "the disk in drive f is not formatted", and if I try to format it tells me it is only 200MB in size. If I run the Windows TomTom Home it tells me there is no device connected (despite Windows recognising it when I plugged it in the first time). I did try copying the files across with Finder (after running Stuffit) on the Mac but it had no effect on the original problem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, Have you got a MicroSD card circa 2GB or larger that can be tried in the device?
If so pop that in to a card reader and use WinRar to expand the files straight to the memory card, when its finished pop the card in to the slot on the 940 and see what happens when it boots up, it should throw an error message about "No Maps Found" but you can copy your maps to the memory card from your backups etc and run the unit from the memory card - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Tony, Have you got a MicroSD card circa 2GB or larger that can be tried in the device?
If so pop that in to a card reader and use WinRar to expand the files straight to the memory card, when its finished pop the card in to the slot on the 940 and see what happens when it boots up, it should throw an error message about "No Maps Found" but you can copy your maps to the memory card from your backups etc and run the unit from the memory card - Mike

No, afraid I've only got regular size SD cards. But I really don't think this is a hardware problem, it all went wrong when I tried to install a software update. I'm tempted to throw my 940 in the bin and buy HD traffic for my iPhone app.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While the memory in my 720 was slowly failing I had similar strange effects.

I could copy a file to it and see it had happened, but then after disconnecting and connecting again it would have vanished.
Sometimes it wouldn't reformat, sometimes it would,but then come up with strange sizes.

I bought a new memory card and have run it on that ever since.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
While the memory in my 720 was slowly failing I had similar strange effects.

I could copy a file to it and see it had happened, but then after disconnecting and connecting again it would have vanished.
Sometimes it wouldn't reformat, sometimes it would,but then come up with strange sizes.

I bought a new memory card and have run it on that ever since.

Yes, but I never had a moment's problem until I did the software update, then immediately it wouldn't boot. Seems too much of a coincidence to me that I had a hardware failure 2 years after buying the device within 1 minute of doing a software update. As I said I have no problem seeing and accessing the files with my Mac, it just doesn't boot.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just ordered an 8GB micro SD card from Amazon on next day. If nothing else it means I can load Europe and US without running up close to the limit. Still sceptical though that that's my problem.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
Only just got around to trying this, but that link doesn't work for me. I just get masses of text in the browser window.

That is because Safari tries to open the link in a webpage. It's not a Mac fault, the link is to a .cab file which Safari doesn't recognise as a downloadable file type and so it tries to display it in a webpage.

The solution is simple, right-click the link and select 'download linked file as' and it works fine. Or use Firefox which recognises the .cab file and prompts to download.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
TonyD wrote:
Only just got around to trying this, but that link doesn't work for me. I just get masses of text in the browser window.

That is because Safari tries to open the link in a webpage. It's not a Mac fault, the link is to a .cab file which Safari doesn't recognise as a downloadable file type and so it tries to display it in a webpage.

The solution is simple, right-click the link and select 'download linked file as' and it works fine. Or use Firefox which recognises the .cab file and prompts to download.

Thanks, but as you can see I sussed this earlier, however still have the original problem.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, did you delete files from the 940 with it connected to the MAC, if so did you flush the trash folder (or whatever its called on a MAC) with the 940 connected, if not there will be a load of deleted files consuming drive space on the TomTom.

Not too sure if the term Flush/ Trash is correct but Darren will know what I am on about with respect to the MAC as this is something that has caught a few users out previously when removing files with a MAC - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: