Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile camera speed limit error.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile camera speed limit error.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd better warn MaFt to be prepared for a spate of "seen again" reports by people who've seen you up on the bridge with your measuring thingy!
Samsung Galaxy S21
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You'd better warn MaFt to be prepared for a spate of "seen again" reports by people who've seen you up on the bridge with your measuring thingy!
Razz That wouldn't suprise me, I got a few funny looks when I dangled my instrument over the bridge. At first I was getting readings of 4' 9" until I realised the bridge extends about 2' beyond the barrier.

Several readings all gave 28', to the top of the barrier, add to this another 2' and x10 = 300 feet. Take this away from the start of the 50 limit and there's only a 60' window for the operator to lock on and pull the trigger. 70mph = 103 feet per second so time wise the operator has about 6/10ths of a second to do his dirty deed.

As I said previously, the operator could start getting a lock whilst cars are still in the 70mph section but would have to be careful to pull the trigger when they reached inside the 50.

I understand mobiles can catch you at 1000 yards, in which case they could aim over the gantry further down the hill and 'here comes a NIP'.

It would be interesting to know when the camera first went on the database. The 50 limit has been there a couple of years, maybe, just maybe, the original camera was reported before the new limit came into force and before the gantry.

I parked my car on the yellow line, leaned back on it and aimed from roughly the height of where the camera would be. Lo and behold the barrier was partially in the way. They could of course park up on the footpath but that would block pedestrians and make them walk in the road.

I'm not able (don't know how) to add the photo so I will have to talk nicely to Dennis to see if he would be able to do it for me. All will then be revealed.

In conclusion. I still believe the best course of action is to put the camera back to 50 and set the other, 70, as reversible, both the 50 and 70 would then be covered.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I will have to talk nicely to Dennis
Check your PMs

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis, reply and picture on it's way. Soon
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Lost Property's photo. He's asked me to point out he meant "aim under/through the gantry" (to catch over-70mph speeders before the 50mph starts).

Personally, I think there's a lot of clutter doing that. Difficult to tell even with a photo, but ACPO guidelines do warn about avoiding things like signs and gantries and even other vehicles. I suppose plod has very steady hands, cross hairs and a pretty nifty zoom feature. I swear, one of these days I'll try to bottle up the courage to go and chat to a van man (I'm one too, after all).

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis.

Quote:
I suppose plod has very steady hands, cross hairs and a pretty nifty zoom feature

Especially as:-
80 mph 117 feet per second gives him 5/10ths of a second.
70 mph 103 fps 6/10ths sec
60 mph 88 fps 7/10ths sec.

Quote:
I swear, one of these days I'll try to bottle up the courage to go and chat to a van man
It would be interesting to see his/her reaction. Very Happy

Edit: The gantry in the distance looks further away as I set to a slight wide angle to get everything in.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've lost me with those numbers again!

I'll go up to the van and knock on the door and introduce myself with the famous words "As one almostAudimetallicsilvervanman to another....." I do believe others amongst us have done it without being turned into pillars of salt and I'd just love to catch one of those ****** like the pair who passed me over double white central lines on a bad bit of the A37 today. I rang 999 to report their registration numbers and the person answering (got to be within spitting distance, surely) asked "Where's the A37?" and struggled to find Shepton Mallet. Rolling Eyes

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if I'd like a laser gadget thingy? How far did you say you can shine it?

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somerset County Council say.

Quote:
The A37 through Somerset is approximately 54km in length and is one of the first roads that will be tackled in this way, 332 people have been killed or injured in the last five years, along the rural sections of the A37. The accidents are spread out along the route, with a concentration at junctions and bends.

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Somerset County Council say.......

They've had big yellow signs up saying all that at regular intervals all the way from Gurney Slade (Binegar) to Taunton, with another sign saying "Improvements to be introduced in 2007" with the 2007 replaced by 2008 nine months ago. Rolling Eyes

Would a laser gadget thingy measure approximately 54 km?

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would a laser gadget thingy measure approximately 54 km?

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=124343

I was getting confused Embarassed with a 'laser pen' thing my son had, it's range was several hundred yards, if my memeory serves me right.

I just checked and this one has a range of 50 feet, more than enough for around the home/garden.

If the distance you want to measure is greater than 50 feet you can take two readings and using the + it will add them together, more than 100 feet and three readings would be needed.

Also as a 'X' which allows you to measure the length of a room, press X and measure the width, the result will be square feet. Use the X again and measure the height and it shows cubic feet. xxxxx.x

It's also a Wood stud and metal detector up to 38 mm (1 ½") dry wall
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
I just checked and this one has a range of 50 feet, more than enough for around the home/garden.

Also has a 'X' which allows you to measure the length of a room, press X and measure the width, the result will be square feet. Use the X again and measure the height and it shows cubic feet. xxxxx.x

It's also a Wood stud and metal detector up to 38 mm (1 ½") dry wall

Why on earth would you want to do that with a room? I'd like to know how many cubic metres there are in my pond (don't!, I'd like to know, not know the formula). I measured our back garden the other day with one of those pulling out thingies and it was about 24 metres.

Anyway, what about that mobile? I suggest you put both angles to He Who Decides, together with the picture and let him arbitrate.

Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why on earth would you want to do that with a room?
For heating purposes maybe, fire A suitable for up to x cubic feet and fire B up to y cubic feet.

Quote:
I'd like to know how many cubic metres there are in my pond
Well what you do Dennis is.......

Quote:
(don't!, I'd like to know, not know the formula).
Oh!, OK. But thinking aloud, when I had my pond, I started filling it and shortly after filled a 2 litre bucket to see how long that would take, I divided this 'bucket' time into the total time taken to fill the pond and worked out how many litres. 1000 litres equals 1 cubic metre. But I won't mention it. Razz

Quote:
I measured our back garden the other day with one of those pulling out thingies and it was about 24 metres.
Using this device I would stand about halfway, take a measurement one way, turn round press + and measure the other half to get the total. Then if you wanted to know the area, maybe for turf, press the times button, measure the width and voila.

Quote:
Anyway, what about that mobile? I suggest you put both angles to He Who Decides, together with the picture and let him arbitrate.
It may be easier to direct him to this post, he will then see my measurements and photo.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. The method I was told to use was to fill it with a two litre bucket and count how many buckets it took.

For heating I get out a woolly jumper.

I could have used your thingy for the garden, but I'd have measured to the clothes pole, then gone down to the clothes pole and measured to the end.

I'm bright and I like DIY because that's you doing it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: