Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mobile Speed Camera Van New Type??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile Speed Camera Van New Type??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmuskett wrote:
But it also includes redlight cameras, which I think is questionable. I for one don't need to be warned about whether it might be "safe" to take a traffic light late.

Just for clarity here, red light cameras were included from the very earliest incarnations of the database. At one point long ago we had decided to cease offering them and then RedSpeed dual purpose red-light and speed cameras popped up so we changed our minds and decided they would stay.

On a personal note, I don't think we ought to have red-light cameras but I can imagine the furore any move to drop them would cause. There is also perhaps some small benefit from their inclusion in serving to remind drivers that red lights are there to be obeyed.

The suggestion that LEZ enforcement and CC enforcement vans should be included is not justified in my opinion, they are not endorsable and once you enter the zone you're caught in the vast majority of cases. A POI set to alert that you are entering these zones is worth having and I'll look at resourcing an LEZ file.

As has been said and just to re-iterate, ANPR will NEVER be included. The more of these the merrier in my personal opinion as they catch those who deserve to be removed from the roads.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="shadamehr"]
Quote:
It's just an opinion of one single customer - and might well not even be the view of others.

Quote:
A foolish answer in that you too refer to one user as if that is the exhaustive view, yours and his, forming the way things are - no really read it again - you say "We only want..." That's as definitive as it gets, indicating that this is the view of everyone else.

At least I had the decency to say mine was my OWN view only.

Oh and a Wink in case it's not obvious here.

I state 'WE' as based on what i have read as the majority view on the MANY, MANY threads on the subject that i have read or participated in since i've been a member.

There have been many written 'battles' on the arguement of including pMobiles alone, never mind the 'test', 'experimental' cameras and so on.

Yes, my view is mine and mine only, but sometimes after remembering that many others have in the past agreed with 'my view' i felt tempted to say 'WE'.

If that offends you so deeply to 'scold' me, then i apolgise and please take 'WE' to be 'I' as this is supposed to be a serious topic and i feel that this (in my view) a minor grammatical point, irrelevant, please also note the Wink .

Quote:
So there is nothing to stop those who only want certain categories, only downloading them..........
As you claim there is already too much in the database for you. But having all this, I am guessing you are a single file user, else you could have elected only to install those types you DO want to see.

I do, all the entries relating to speed cameras of any sort and of course the red-light cameras - in other words the database as it is downloaded, WITHOUT adding/removing anything.
Yes, it is too much, but there are many cameras out there to watch, so i will have to live with it, i can't afford to lose one.

I wish to be able to just download the database, install it and move on, if I had to 'butcher' it every month, as i often haven't the time, I would find it difficult to use.

May i suggest that ANPR or whatever else is required, be added to the POI database under 'Road Hazzards'
My view only. Wink
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver

Last edited by GJF on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, we have drifted way off the original topic now. Please feel free to start a new topic if you wish.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Darren wrote

As has been said and just to re-iterate, ANPR will NEVER be included. The more of these the merrier in my personal opinion as they catch those who deserve to be removed from the roads.

That remark is spot on!! it is not an oversight not to pay your car tax and not have a MOT on a vehicle!!! if a car has not got road tax or MOT you can bet that it does not have insurance as well !!
This is a safety camera site just because I download it does not mean I speed but it does remind me to keep within the speed limits !! the same as red light cameras warning we get it does not mean that I am going to drive through a red light it just reaffirms this is a dangerous crossing and as such are still a valuable aid.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Ok, we have drifted way off the original topic now. Please feel free to start a new topic if you wish.

Sorry Darren.
I am writing 100 lines as we speak - 'I will not rant, or go off topic'.

How about Mobile Speed Camera Van New Type?? Wink
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
bmuskett
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
(Long post Warning to bmuskett, as it answers SEVERAL replies in one go - if you don't like long posts where they are unavoidable, feel free to skip and read the next post, or thread elsewhere, rest assured).

Unfortunately there are some points I need to answer, otherwise I would gladly go elsewhere, believe me.

shadamehr wrote:
MaFt, Wow, the first sensible answer (to points I raised, not new posters I mean), in here for a bit. Wink to everyone

I believe I made the same point too.

shadamehr wrote:
Then Bmuskett saying I can't use red light cameras, to help my case as he doesn't think they should be in.

But whether he thinks they should or not, currently the ARE, so it doesn't HELP my case, it completely PROVES the minor point I was making, that it's NOT solely a SPEED camera Database as the name would imply, that's all Wink

Granted, but see Darren's later post on that point.

shadamehr wrote:
Then he asks me to future gaze by asking me what sort of cameras I mean, even though that's exactly the point - as we are talking of things to come, how the heck is anyone minded to know.

So what is the point of this debate now? When something new does come up it will be debated. It already happens. When a new type of speed camera appears it's decided whether it should go into an existing category or a new category be created. We had the pmobiles debate. It's a continually evolving beast.

shadamehr wrote:
Proving how completely wrong his point is, because in so saying, he just made me livid with him, due to his arrogant, nasty tone, WITHOUT a "I'm not meaning to upset" or shred of humour or decency - exactly why it is so importnat NOT to be blase as he suggests - not on your nelly.

You really are over-sensitive if you are reading arrogant and nasty into my words, which is possibly why you feel the need to litter your own remarks with smilies and other clarifications.

shadamehr wrote:
Quite aside from the fact, given the PM debates you've insisted on having with me in the past, when they only ever stop if I let you have the last word on the matter,

That's one single PM debate, comprising one post from me, a reply from you including the words "but I am happy to answer any further queries by PM", followed by another post from me.

shadamehr wrote:
Trust that helps, bmuskett though, if you want the last word as usual, by all means PM me, I'll read it, then not respond, giving you the satisfaction you seem to crave, rest assured.

Laughing

There you go again. I've made you livid but you end up with that as if to lighten it up. No need. And actually I don't want the last word, what would give me satisfaction is getting answers to my questions. When I'm happy with the answers then I'll be quite happy to give you the last word. Believe me I do not want to prolong these conversations any longer than is necessary.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your vital need to actually HAVE the last word, as your post above now PROVES, despite me offering you the chance to PM me with any replies and thus not ruin this thread any further, and despite Darren specifically warning this thread had gone well O/T and to desist, erm, PROVES your need to have the last word mate.

Oops, but now that I have said that, it means, you haven't had the last word anymore.

So again, to avoid this thread going off topic even more, as Darren specifically warns, but in order to allow you your essential desire to have the last word, or be the definitive viewpoint, then again, feel free to PM me, and I will read, and not respond, thus satisfying your need.

But no, then no one would actually SEE that you had the last word now, would they, and that's actually what you crave.

Laughing

Anyway, to answer your questions, as you insist that is also so vital to you

1) If that's exactly what you said, about MaFt's post, cool. But why post at all, as my point was clearly ADDRESSED to MaFt, and that point made no insinuation at you at all. So why do YOU waffle yourself, for unwarranted responses, when you are so quick to accuse others of this?

2) You refer to Darren making a following point. Great. But that point hadn't even been made when you posted, so how could that have shaped your answer - what poppycock. Besides, Darren's answer did nought, to me, to deflect from the inclusion of Redlights - on the contrary, he specifically alludes to the furore he would expect were they removed, as being the reason they are still in. Doh.

3) The point of this debate, is that certain such types of cameras ARE now starting to appear it seems. Or did you just read only my posts in here, to have a desirable argument with me, and not bothered actually reading the the rest of the threads what this is about. If so, no wonder you insist on it going Off Topic so much.

4) No, I'm never over sensitive where purely vexatious posters are concerned. Nor are they as hard to see through from other members, as they would think they are. Rest assured Laughing Out Loud

5) The purposes of your ongoing PM 'debate' under false claims of "no I'm just curious" are as blatant to see, as your artificially vexatious posts on here, rest assured mate.

6) I've already covered your essential need to have the last word, at the start of this post.

So, to Darren,

Apologies for me/him letting this go Off-Topic again. I could say just look who started it, despite your warning before his post, but that would make me seem like the school-boy he already is.

Suffice to say, feel free to delete our posts, or lock this thread, as you see fit, but bear in mind that if you lock the thread, poor bmuskett won't be able to have his essential fix of last words for the day mind Darren Wink

Oh, and all, please, even though bmuskett objects to warm fuzzy feelings all round:

a Big Laughing and love and respect and all that, as it's only Monday afternoon, and I've got a a whole week to get through yet, without this kind of c a r p from people with nothing better to do.

So Very Happy

Last edited by shadamehr on Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
Sorry Darren.
I am writing 100 lines as we speak - 'I will not rant, or go off topic'.

My comment wasn't aimed at you directly, we're all guilty!

Ok everyone has had their say, any more posts in this thread that are not on the subject of the original post will be deleted and the thread locked.

if anyone feels strongly enough that the debate has not run its course, please start a new topic on the merits of what we do or do not include in our data.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren - I was editing as you typed that, rest assured, though no justification.

I'm doing my own 100 lines and detention as we speak.

Apologies to the thread starter roo, fo how this has ran.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: