Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio TMC reports borked
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio TMC reports borked
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried updating my wife's unit to the latest version yesterday evening, but the update failed Sad

Alas, I'm no nearer being able to test 2 units with differet versions side by side :x
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
I tried updating my wife's unit to the latest version yesterday evening, but the update failed Sad

Alas, I'm no nearer being able to test 2 units with differet versions side by side :x

It seems that the version of the gpstmc.dll file changed in December 2006 - around the time or even at the exact time that the TMC provider changed to ITIS.

The file in question is provided by a German company - GNS.

I notice that iGO software also contains or seems to contain the same file.

The GNS website is interesting in that the small map icon - not very informative - indicates that TMC coverage is not yet nationwide in Europe.

If TMC support for the C710 is provided effectively by 2 different companies - GNS via the iGO oem software - then is it any wonder that Mitac can't get to grips with it?

Gareth.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mio can't get their own update procedure to work properly, there's little hope for something like TMC, where consensus shows that helpful information is hard to come by Confused

Is the UK unique or is TMC supplied by more than one provider in other Eurpean countries Question

Is the problem that BOTH TrafficMaster and iTIS are trying to cash in on a technology which few people know much about Question :x

Perhaps as the ad says - "Only Smarties have the answer" Laughing

...but it's certainly a subject that's stirred up emotions on here.

Sallyann is usually pretty switched on with updates, but I don't recall seeing anything from her about her unit switching TMC provider.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EBEC wrote:
Hi everyone

I’m glad I found this thread. I have also tried the update to V3.2 and it updated everything except the application (at least after a few attempts. The updater is ridiculous unstable).

I contacted support by email and they replied with the following information: (translated from Norwegian)
Due to problems with the tmc version in software V3.2 we have removed the application update, maps and languages will still be updated. The application update will be put back as soon as the tmc settings are added.

By the way, can I just replace the miomap.exe and data.zip if I can get hold of them? I have installed the transfer hack. Maybe someone could give me a hint of where to get the necessary files?

cheers!

Having seen this posting in another thread (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52814&start=15), there DEFINITELY seems to be a link between update and TMC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when the application update returns Confused
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
EBEC wrote:
Hi everyone

I’m glad I found this thread. I have also tried the update to V3.2 and it updated everything except the application (at least after a few attempts. The updater is ridiculous unstable).

I contacted support by email and they replied with the following information: (translated from Norwegian)
Due to problems with the tmc version in software V3.2 we have removed the application update, maps and languages will still be updated. The application update will be put back as soon as the tmc settings are added.

By the way, can I just replace the miomap.exe and data.zip if I can get hold of them? I have installed the transfer hack. Maybe someone could give me a hint of where to get the necessary files?

cheers!

Having seen this posting in another thread (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=52814&start=15), there DEFINITELY seems to be a link between update and TMC.

It'll be interesting to see what happens if/when the application update returns Confused

Yes very interesting. It still doesn't say what sort of TMC problems however.

Well, there are problems with TMC. Although successfully updated units seem to be functioning perfectly albeit with an ITIS feed the routing and re-routing around jam location is, as I've described previously, very buggy.

Still, 2 days running now the unit has performed incredibly well - routing me elegantly around jams on both mornings.

I wouldn't assume that Mitac is referring to the ITIS/Trafficmaster "problem" - they may well be referring to the other bugs that you will certainly notice after a while of using the latest version of 3.2.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a couple of successful re-routed journeys, do you prefer the TrafficMaster or iTIS TMC data Question

Yes, it probably is more widespread than iTIS/TrafficMaster - BUT there's a definite link between updates and TMC....no assumptions made with TMC and Mio Laughing
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning, the TrafficMaster TMC on my Mio tried to route me into what was report as several miles of stationary traffic on the M3. Angry

A suitable alternative would have been to re-route along the A30, which runs parallel to the M3, and this would also have cut a chunk off the M25 too.

This begs the question - which TMC provider gives the better service, TrafficMaster or iTIS Question

As Shakespeare would have said: "To update or not update, that is the question" Joker
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
This morning, the TrafficMaster TMC on my Mio tried to route me into what was report as several miles of stationary traffic on the M3. Angry

A suitable alternative would have been to re-route along the A30, which runs parallel to the M3, and this would also have cut a chunk off the M25 too.

This begs the question - which TMC provider gives the better service, TrafficMaster or iTIS Question

As Shakespeare would have said: "To update or not update, that is the question" Joker

Well, in terms of quality of information I can't see much of a difference between ITIS and Trafficmaster. My own experience is that ITIS offers non journalistic coverage of roads not covered by Trafficmaster but that Trafficmaster non journalistic coverage is possibly more accurate. I'm not convinced that there's that much in it to be honest and given the software bugs it's impossible to say which is better at present. In terms of ITIS or Trafficmaster my problem is more to do with poor Classic FM reception.

My other big problem - and this provided the title of the original post - is that the TMC functionality is borked with the most recent upgrade. I think if this is the reason that Mitac removed the update then they were absolutely right to do so (just a bloody big shame that they screwed perfectly working installs in the process).

The routing and re-routing around jams is often buggy and inaccurate with the latest version - re-routing to avoid a road which is flagged as having a jam even though the jam location does not take in the planned route for example; announcing "traffic jam ahead" and occasionally re-routing (although thankfully often not) even when the jam is on an overpass/underpass.

The report information is also confusing and arguably bugged. This morning I saw a jam reported on the M3 - "M3 Basingstoke to London" according to the main heading. The sub-heading read "J2(M25) to J3 Lightwater". The direction of travel in the main heading (Basingstoke to London) didn't match the direction of travel in the subheading (London to Basingstoke) - so where exactly was the jam? The map suggested that it was in the Basingstoke to London direction but there was no physical evidence of the jam.

These problems weren't evident with earlier versions of 3.2 so I'm assuming that it is these bugs that have resulted in Mio removing the most recent update (TMC *reception* is working after all).

It's only once these bugs are ironed out that it will be possible to say whether or not ITIS or Trafficmaster is better. I will say though that with ITIS I frequently receive in excess of 13 pages of information (record has been 21).

Other than the TMC bugs the latest version of 3.2 is better than earlier versions - the voice directions are much more sensible.

When the TMC routing works well however it is a thing to behold. On 2 occasions - yesterday and the day before - I was re-routed with cocky elegance (I would never have found the route myself and a quick click of "avoid" road even allowed me to slip around congestion that was not documented).

As I passed over one of the jams, courtesy of non journalistic TMC information, I caught sight of 2 Eddie Stobard lorries in the jam. Thanks guys :-) Trafficmaster dosesn't cover the relevant part of the road in question. I'm not writing ITIS off (despite first impressions) and I'm actually quite warming to it - it may even be the better option. I just wish that the software bugs could be worked out. Sod's Law - I bet Mitac now reverts back to Trafficmaster.

Gareth.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, listening to the traffic reports on 2-Ten FM, the jam was reportedly caused by an accident near junction 3 (Lightwater) in the London-bound carriageway...then rubberneckers caused a jam in the same place in the Basingstoke-bound carriageway.

My Mio correctly displayed information for traffic in BOTH directions - the problem is that it continued to direct me along the M3 and through the reported stationary traffic....

...luckily, local knowledge told me that the A30 towards Staines may be the best bet and I exited the M3 at J4A - thus avoiding all of the traffic on the M3.

Personally, I tend to ignore the heading and look only at the road name and sub-heading because in my experience, the sub-heading DOES report the correct direct.

It's a tricky one to say how to "correct" the heading - which names the section of road - because if you try to be too clever, you run the risk of still getting the reported direction wrong.

When you're restricted for space by screen size, it's a difficult balance between providing information and just what information you display.

That said, though, the road name and heading should show you if you're likely to be affected by a problem and then closer look at the sub-heading ought to tell you if the problem is in your direction or not.

The problem that Mio have with displaying data is that you can't please everybody all of the time and, whilst I'm happy other people won't be - so there has to be a compromise somewhere.

For the money, Mio provide a hell of a lot in there little boxes AND there software is better than certain other manufacturers.

...the fast route re-calculations will save you a lot more stress and strain than a few lines of text...

...if we use the systems as designed, we should be looking at the map or cockpit screens - leaving the TMC to process traffic data invisibly in the background

Swings and roundabouts, I'm afraid.

What IS interesting, however, is the way that you seem to be warming to the iTIS data - it's almost as though you're hinting that it re-routes better than TrafficMaster when you get a good enough Classic FM signal.

Like all new technologies, there will be teething problems and, unfortunately for us, we're blazing the trail for others to follow.

I've heard reports that TomTom traffic info suddenly re-routes users without warning and often without real traffic problems.

This is why I always try listening to the radio traffic bulletins too - belt and braces.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the help of this forum I now am the proud owner of a C710 running Miomap version 3.2.

Couple of questions for all.

1. Is the licence suppose to be unique to each device?
2. What makes the device unique in regards to TMC?
3. I have noticed the "Subscribe TMC" button in the TMC Control Centre, what is this for? judging that Mitak don't know if Mio users should have a Trafficmaster or ITIS feed.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
With the help of this forum I now am the proud owner of a C710 running Miomap version 3.2.

3. I have noticed the "Subscribe TMC" button in the TMC Control Centre, what is this for? judging that Mitak don't know if Mio users should have a Trafficmaster or ITIS feed.

I have no "Subscribe TMC" button on my Jan 18 version of 3.2. I understand that the latest iGO version has this button. The plot thickens!

What date release is your 3.2 version?

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask what makes the device unique in regards to TMC.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:

Ignore the previous message I can answered then now with the help on Morkin I have manged to work them out.

Answers (for thoughs who are interested)
1. The licence.db file identifies you to a device and is unique to each device.
2. Again the licence.db file comes into play here.
3. I think this applies to maps that do not come with your device

I had a test run with the V3.2 software with and without my licence.db file

(with another licence.db file)
I noticed that I got a TMC fix for about 10 seconds with no traffic info then I loss it and couldn't get a TMC fix for the remainder of my 45 min test drive. I also had a button on the TMC Control Centre called "Subscribe TMC" after pressing this button it brings up a page asking you to go to a url and entering some infomation displayed on the screen then enter the produce from the page where it says enter code.

(with my licence.db file)
As soon as I returned home I started to play with the C710 again but removing the other licence.db file and replacing it with mine. This removed the "Subscribe TMC" button and also got me a 100% TMC signal locked onto 100.9fm Classicfm with 9 pages of info to my unit located in my house. I was amazed as I have never had so many pages before. I also logged onto http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/travel_news.jsp to find that all the incidents were upto date too.

This leads me to think that depends on where you are located you will have a bias to which signal you can receive stronger/quicker. There are less ITIS transmitter locations but they seem to have a higher power rating so the signal will travel further (not sure on the ratio of kW power to distance) as appose to trafficmaster transmitters where there are loads of them but the kW power ratings are smaller.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
DeeJay01 wrote:

I have no "Subscribe TMC" button on my Jan 18 version of 3.2. I understand that the latest iGO version has this button. The plot thickens!

I'm not sure what you mean when you ask what makes the device unique in regards to TMC.

My version must be V3.2 second edition as I have the follow button instead of hold. In V3.2 first edition I had a hold button.
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
Retty wrote:
DeeJay01 wrote:

My version must be V3.2 second edition as I have the follow button instead of hold. In V3.2 first edition I had a hold button.

Glad to hear you got it sorted - the subscribe TMC button. Now that is oddly organised for Mitac - and a bit scary too (it suggests more clearly than anything else I have ever come across that the TMC licence system is more flexible and less certain than some people have suggested).

Yes, the quantity of ITIS incident reports can be huge - I've had in excess of 20 pages.

It's worth pointing out though that there are TMC bugs in the Jan 18 version of 3.2 which have an impact on jam location, routing and re-routing.

Do you find that the direction of jam is not always clearly reported (main heading direction not matching the sub-heading direction)?
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retty wrote:
DeeJay01 wrote:
Retty wrote:
DeeJay01 wrote:

Glad to hear you got it sorted - the subscribe TMC button. Now that is oddly organised for Mitac - and a bit scary too (it suggests more clearly than anything else I have ever come across that the TMC licence system is more flexible and less certain than some people have suggested).

Yes, the quantity of ITIS incident reports can be huge - I've had in excess of 20 pages.

It's worth pointing out though that there are TMC bugs in the Jan 18 version of 3.2 which have an impact on jam location, routing and re-routing.

Do you find that the direction of jam is not always clearly reported (main heading direction not matching the sub-heading direction)?

Retty,
All of the tests so far have been done in my house (getting a TMC signal). I'll be leaving work very sooon and will report my findings to the forum.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: