Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - The Navman N20 - POIs etc
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

The Navman N20 - POIs etc
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: POIs not working! Reply with quote

I've had this device for about 10 days now and have met a number of frustrations. The major one is that no matter what I do, I cannot get the Camera POIs to work Crying or Very sad .
I have followed the Manual precisely and coupled with my previous knowledge of the 510, I believe I have done nothing incorrect.
On the device 'Alerts' I have six alerts - the default 'Safety Camera' folder installed by Navman and the five PGPSW which I have installed. Each shows an alert distance of 1.3rd of a mile, yet the audible alert for the installed (default) camera only sounds as I actually pass the camera.
In all other cases (My POIs) they are all set up the same but no icons show on the screen and no alerts either visual or audible show/sound.

I thought it may be because I am using a 1Gb SD card with loads of EU maps on it, so swopped and then put all POIs onto a 512Mb card with only the POIs on it. No difference. Both cards were formatted in FAT (Not FAT32 ) before installing.

Have other members managed to install and get their POIs working Question

Any Idea Idea s
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Further N20 problems Reply with quote

Posting this as a separate issue.

(1) Yesterday, when I connected my device to my PC, I got a download of updated software from Navman. No indication of what this was, but I downloaded and installed it as instructed. Anyone know what it was Question

(2) Since receipt of my Navman, each time I hard reset it - switch it on either after having it connected to the PC or after I switch it off from the bottom switch, I get a warning that some maps may not have loaded correctly -- no indication of what maps and all seem to work OK. Should I be concerned Question

All suggestions, contributions welcome Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Further N20 problems Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Posting this as a separate issue.

(1) Yesterday, when I connected my device to my PC, I got a download of updated software from Navman. No indication of what this was, but I downloaded and installed it as instructed. Anyone know what it was Question

(2) Since receipt of my Navman, each time I hard reset it - switch it on either after having it connected to the PC or after I switch it off from the bottom switch, I get a warning that some maps may not have loaded correctly -- no indication of what maps and all seem to work OK. Should I be concerned Question

All suggestions, contributions welcome Wink

Update on the last two posts:

Have spoken to Navman technician who is as puzzled as me. I have done everything that I should - I have now turned off the Navman Safety Camera which should leave only the PGPSW POIs working yet now nothing ie no cams appear at all.

My other Question was about the software downloads - these are just software patches to improve the menu (I am told).
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my SmartST i get told there are updates but when it comes through nothing is listed!

I also occasionally get told that SmartST 2006 is not loaded on my Navman? Do i have to register my unit with navman for this to stop?

When i tried downloading maps to an SD card(FAT) in the N20 it took forever(10mins for belgium!) then told me 'an error has occured with the installation' then proceeded to wipe all the maps off the SD card. Worked fine with a card reader!

The speed cam POI's seem to work ok on internal memory, sorry Gee-Pee!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
On my SmartST i get told there are updates but when it comes through nothing is listed!

I also occasionally get told that SmartST 2006 is not loaded on my Navman? Do i have to register my unit with navman for this to stop?

When i tried downloading maps to an SD card(FAT) in the N20 it took forever(10mins for belgium!) then told me 'an error has occured with the installation' then proceeded to wipe all the maps off the SD card. Worked fine with a card reader!

The speed cam POI's seem to work ok on internal memory, sorry Gee-Pee!

I have been advised that there are update available three times in the last few days. Each time I have accepted the download to my device and am informed successful each time. There is no indication of what the 'update' is but, when talking to a technician at Navman he advised these are just small patches in the software.

Could you give details of which POIs you have downloaded Question ie Navman Consolidated or Garmin .csv. If the former, I presume you installed the five categories - Gatso,Spec,Temp,Redlight & Mobile which is what I now have on my device - one set on the card and one set on the hard drive - only the Temp file shows up with an icon but all the others are there on the N20 but none of them work when I go for a drive to test them at known locations. (The default 'Speed Cameras' do work but I don't want to be tied into a contract with Navman when I have the best source of POIs from PGPSW) Wink

As regards the warning that SmartST is not loaded, I have not formally registered with Navman but the fact that I can load the EU maps that came with the purchase means they are registered to the device - sometimes when I connect the device, the SmartST Desktop takes ages to recognise the N20 and then sometimes does not show the loaded maps..there certainly seems to be something not quite right with this system. We need to hear from other users with positive feedback.

Does the Navman N20 work for you Question
nortonbeak
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:

Remember that the Navman only works at USB 1.1 speed, whereas to write to your card reader you will probably be able to use USB 2 speeds.
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the back of my mind i knew it was USB1.1 but was determined to make it work!

As far as POI's go i've been using the garmin poiloader version of the database, tried both consolidated and zoned, have you enabled them in the menu? you probably have but can't think of anything else!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
In the back of my mind i knew it was USB1.1 but was determined to make it work!

As far as POI's go i've been using the garmin poiloader version of the database, tried both consolidated and zoned, have you enabled them in the menu? you probably have but can't think of anything else!

At least you have solved the problem of the slow upload Exclamation

The Garmin download is OK if you don't want the hassle (actually it's not) of converting the .asc files to .csv BUT, and I'm sure Tim won't mind me quoting him, "changing the filetype [in the Consolidated Navman version] is better than using the Garmin files as the latter only come in the 24 file format in .csv flavour". You might want to consider that for the next download.
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One tip is not to get hung up on the extension. .txt, .asc, .csv and numerous other can be "converted" by just renaming.

Microsoft in it's infinitie wisdom beleives that the 3 character extension should mean something, so Windows spits out warnings when renaming files. In all cases with text (aka ascii) files, these warnings are incorrect. Text is text...

For those familiar with the command prompt the simple command

copy file1 + file2 + file3 output

will create a single file by appending all the others together, and if you
want them sorted, use sort ("help sort" can be useful). This could be used if you want less than 24, but not all in one file.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robertn wrote:
In all cases with text (aka ascii) files, these warnings are incorrect. Text is text...
Not quite.

A CSV File is a Text File, but a Text File is not necessarily a CSV File.

A CSV File is a Text File with certain strict elements: Comma Separated Values.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Garmin camera download you can choose POIloader(consolidated, 5 types) or the speed zoned ones, honest.
doctorf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have got my N20 working well.
1. My maps occasionally don't show unless I remove & then replace the memory card
2. The navman camera warning is a crappy tone but works at 0.3 mile.
3. the zoned pocketgps camera warnings work very well at 220 yards with the correct graphic for each camera type.
4. I am using my own .wav files, edited with audiacity to provide the warning as loud as possible without massive distortion.
5. I have tried to get the single file pocketgps file to work at nearer than 220 yards but this has not proved successful!

I suppose I should be happy with 2 warnings per camera but 3 would have been a bonus!!

Simon F
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctorf wrote:
Have got my N20 working well.
1. My maps occasionally don't show unless I remove & then replace the memory card
I've had that problem before on the 510. GeePee
2. The navman camera warning is a crappy tone but works at 0.3 mile.
when I tried using another .wav file that installed OK but didn't work when it came to warning me, so I changed back GeePee
3. the zoned pocketgps camera warnings work very well at 220 yards with the correct graphic for each camera type.
I've tried every distance available so far, without any success on My POIs - they work on all the default Navman Safety Cameras though GeePee
4. I am using my own .wav files, edited with audiacity to provide the warning as loud as possible without massive distortion.
5. I have tried to get the single file pocketgps file to work at nearer than 220 yards but this has not proved successful!

I suppose I should be happy with 2 warnings per camera but 3 would have been a bonus!!

Simon F

Simon, do the default Safety Cameras alerts work alongside your own installed POIs Question

Quote:
In the Garmin camera download you can choose POIloader(consolidated, 5 types) or the speed zoned ones, honest. Portman

Glad to hear that, Portman - so we have a choice. Wink

doctorf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Simon, do the default Safety Cameras alerts work alongside your own installed POIs

Yes they do hence I get 2 warnings per camera. I can't get the third to work though using the single GPSworld file.

Simon F
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't upgrade to service pack 1 it mucks up your POI's!! See SP1 thread.

Not til someone finds an answer anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: