Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - speed accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

speed accuracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevex9 seems to be contradicting himself here.

stevex9 wrote:
Could i just set the record straight - cop cars don't have to have, nor do they have their speedos/radar checked or calibrated everyday (A real plod)

For comparison, the ACPO guidelines state:

ACPO wrote:
The patrol vehicle speedometer should be checked for accuracy at the end of a tour of duty after detection of an offending vehicle.

stevex9 then backtracks on what he said:

stevex9 wrote:
Police vehicles can do this at the start and finish of their shift or as soon as practicable after reporting somebody for speeding. The stop watch used by police is also calibrated - so be mindful of the one you use.

So, which one is it then. Do you or do you not calibrate your speedo as per by the ACPO guidelines?

The other thing I find odd is that stevex9 doesn't know what the white blocks on the road are for:

stevex9 wrote:
In relation to the white squares on the road surface, i think you will find that these are placed here by the local Highways Authority for reasons unknown. You can check with them.

It is a well known fact that these road markings are used by the Police in conjunction with the VASCAR unit in their car to check speeds by timing vehicles between the two white marks. This system has been in use for many years. As a serving traffic police officer, I am astonished that you say that they are there for "reasons unknown".

I find it hard to believe that someone serving as a traffic police person would page a statement like this which is patently wrong. So, tell us the truth stevex9.

stevex9, are you are real traffic police person or are you just winding us up?
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
stevex9, are you are real traffic police person or are you just winding us up?

If this person IS a real policeman,plod, or whatever, I'll eat my ttGo. Further more, IF he is anything to do with police, then he should KNOW better than to Impersonate a policeman.

Also, he say's
stevex9 wrote:

I have checked the two links you mention and i have to say that neither appear to be official websites of any kind. They seem to be 'fansites' or 'homemade' websites

The first site (Delboy0754) gave was St.Vincents College.

http://www.stvincent.ac.uk/

To say this is a 'FANSITE' or 'Homemade', don't make me laugh, The second site, 'web.ukonline' speaks for itself.

Impersonation of a police officer is a crime, so 'Stevex9' i ask you this,

What is your collar number ?,

What area do you allegedly patrol ?

You claim to be an ADI, can you provide,:

"legal identity of the driving school/Approved Driving Instructor with full address and telephone number at which the Approved Driving Instructor or his/her representitive can be contacted."? if so PM me the details of ALL the above.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a chill pill, Guys? 8)
stevex9
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

SKIPPY - It would appear that what you state from ACPO and what i say are synonymous.
Also, can you evidence that the white blocks are used for what you suggest.

If you are so knowledgable of VASCAR, you will be aware of how many ways fixed points and other points on the road can be used. Yes the police do sometimes use the white boxes for start and finish reference points, but they are not put there just for that reason. There are some near where i work and they are used for training purposes.

I can assure you that i am not winding YOU or anyone else up.

GINGERNUT - I will go one better than give you my personal details, if you are in the south east part of the UK, then i will gladly be able to visit you for a coffee with one of the advanced squads when i am teaching them and i will bring everything with me.

I have just spoken to the local Highways department who tell me that the white boxes are put there by their 'Utility facilities department' They indicate where they have different facilities, i.e. Water or other items and they sometimes use different colours. (Quote from the county council).

For impersonating a police officer see; (Section 90 Police Act 1996)

Anyway, have a good day guys...

Stevex9

P.S. - Don't drive too fast....Laughing Out Loud

[img][/img]
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Steve. Some people on this forum are just too cynical at times, but I for one am grateful for some straight forwrd helpful information. I'm no fool and it was obvious to me that you know what you are talking about unlike some people here who seem to think that something they read on a web site somewhere must be true. I agree with your point about those 2 web sites - clearly they were not from official sources and some of the information given in them was obviously dubious. Even I could see that!
mike_d
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the white markings? Is this official enough?

http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/roads/FAQs.htm?wbc_purpose=Basic%23%23%23%23%23%23%23%23

and search down the page for Vascar.

Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevex9 wrote:
SKIPPY - It would appear that what you state from ACPO and what i say are synonymous.

Yes, but re-read my post. What I was pointing out was that you were back tracking from original statement which said:

stevex9 wrote:
Could i just set the record straight - cop cars don't have to have, nor do they have their speedos/radar checked or calibrated everyday

I now see that you are backtracking from another statement you made, ie: Original statement:

stevex9 wrote:
In relation to the white squares on the road surface, i think you will find that these are placed here by the local Highways Authority for reasons unknown.

Now you say:

stevex9 wrote:
Yes the police do sometimes use the white boxes for start and finish reference points, but they are not put there just for that reason. There are some near where i work and they are used for training purposes.

Ahh, so they aren't for "reasons unknown" then?

stevex9 wrote:
Also, can you evidence that the white blocks are used for what you suggest.

I don't understand why I should, given that you have just confirmed that they are used for VASCAR. And, yes I do know that VASCAR can be used with any landmarks where the distance can be accurately measured.

I know that the white marks can be used for speed measurement purposes because a friend was booked for speeding using VASCAR and the police explained that they timed him over a known distance which was marked by the lines on the road (In the Limehouse Link tunnel in London if you are familair with the area) .

So maybe you are a real police person, maybe you aren't. Either way, you are welcome here but please keep your facts straight. Anything you say may be used against you. Wink
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy you need to read what steve said more carefull. In relation to white boxes he said tehy were put there for reasons unknown. He later gave an example of what they are used for (sometimes by the police for start and finish reference points). He never said they were put there for that reason.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JLee wrote:
He never said they were put there for that reason.

They ARE put there for use by VASCAR. Do a google on vascar white marks and see for yourself. Rolling Eyes
JLee
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe so but you tried to make out that he was backtracking which he wasn't.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always wondered what those white blobs were for - the mapping explanation sounds the most interesting. Did this start out talking about speedo accuracy - My C4 seems to read just 1mph over at all times, be interesting to see how that alters as the tyres wear down.
How accurate are those things at the side of the road that tell you your speed. I pass ones near me at the regulation 50 and sometimes they flash and sometimes they don't. They all should have a smiley face otherwise huge temptation to increment speed by 1 mph every day until they light up but very irritating to be branded a speeder of 31 mph when I'm only doing 29mph.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wannabyourhero wrote:
How accurate are those things at the side of the road that tell you your speed.

The signs that flash up your speed or flash a speed limit sign when you exceed a preset speed are of variable accuracy in my experience.

Sometimes they are pretty much spot on compared to my GPS, other times they read too fast.

As far as I know they are just advisory and are not required to be accurately calibrated because they aren't used for enforcement, just to warn people. Indeed, it could be argued that there are political reasons for these signs reading a higher speed than the vehicle is traveling in order to shock the driver into slowing down.

The odd thing is that if you go through them fast enough then they don't flash up your speed at all. A bunch of utterly irresposible people I heard of tried several times to see who could get the highest speed displayed but it just ignored them if they were travelling over a certain speed.
slash909
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup same with mine. Speedo is about 7-8% over the GPS, but trip meter is within 1% on distances.

Tyre wear will affect this of course; mine are quite new so I expect the actual speed will read higher over time, and the trip meter will gradually drift out.

You'd have thought speedo's could be made better than 10% accurate though. Even analogue ones Sad

I also noticed that the average speed on the trip is lower than the speedo but same as the GPS (tested at fixed speed using cruise control over a few miles of motorway). So the trip seems pretty accurate.

Next time I see one of those annoying light-up speed signs, I'm going to test it against the GPS value to see where it lights up. They are usually right on the limit unlike the cameras which are over.

Stu
makeyourself
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically what this amounts to is that I can go through a speed camera with my GPS reading bang on the speed limit (therefore about 5-7mph over my speedometer) and it is guarenteed that the camera will not flash (provided I am not travelling up or down a steep gradient) and that I am not exceeded the speed limit.

In a hypothetical situation of course the speed camera will not even clock you unless you were exceeding the speed limit by at least 5 mph so in fact you could go about 5 mph over the GPS given speed and you should be OK (not that I would, just that people obviously accidently stray over the speed limit Wink )

Hello by the way, I am new here.
Wannabyourhero
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know what the delay is between a variable speed limit being posted on the M25 and the cameras acting on it. Last week I was tootling along at 70mph when right in front of me up pops a 50 limit. I lost the 20 mph quickly enough but I don't suppose the big lorry behind me was too impressed.
Often wonder who posts these limits - more than once I've seen 60 - 40 - 20 for the three lanes - so if you're on the inside are you supposed to drop 50 mph or do a quick lane change and only have to slow down 10. Human nature being what it is everyone heads for the outetside lane which gts interesting as 3 lanes try to get into one. Dropping from 70 to 20 at night when the M25 is pretty quiet is asking for an accident. Suspect these limits are posted by someone who never drives.
Would be nice to get a reply from a trafiic policeman but of course you don't seem to exist any more on the M25 - all replaced by less well trained but no doubt cheaper Highways Agency bods.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: