Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ScaredyCats Apps Re: Quick Add Camera
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ScaredyCats Apps Re: Quick Add Camera
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another thought (slow brain or what).

To verify whether or not you have a valid menu: Swap around two of the standard entries in your menu. Reboot and see if they are in their new positions.

If they have not changed then you have an invalid menu file and TomTom is defaulting to its own menu. Concentrate on the mnu file until you get to see these two files swapped around.

If they have changed around then the menu is not invalid and you need to look to some of your other additions - SDKRegistry files, Catapps files etc.

DeeSee
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its worth a go.
Dieter in germany has had a few goes at the file and gets it so dam close
forky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy it will be heaven when this is finally sorted out. Its doing my head in trying to get it right so have given up till there is a definitive answer

Samsung Galaxy S9 (o2) contract
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbokb,

Even though I don't use the phone facility, I couldn't see why your menu should be so radically affected so I modded my working mnu on my 300 (which has quickam and all of Scaredy's others except autoswitcher).

My working menu has quickam on the first page but, like your mnu had, it has a greyed out phone for TASK_MENU_PHONE.

I changed this for TASK_DIAL_POI and everything else still worked except the greyed out phone disappeared and the forward arrow moved left one position.

I then tried to guess a name for the phone setup (TASK_SET_PHONE) and put this in. The menu still worked fine except for the greyed out phone disappearing and the forward arrow moving to the left one position.

I am convinced that you have a fault with your menu structure if you can't get quickam on the first page regardless of whether or not the phone works and that TomTom is defaulting to its own menu which is why the phone facility then works and quickam is then back on page 4.

I noticed from your earlier menu that you only had 5 entries on page 2 of your main menu. Maybe not having 6 entries on all but the last page matters (I didn't try this - All mine are full up to my last page which has my TASK_MENU_PHONE).

I do know, however, that the 300 is happy with less than 6 entries on the last page.

Go over your mnu with a fine tooth comb, checking for extra spaces, extra carriage returns, any commas/full stops etc that may have crept in and that it is being saved as tomtom.mnu (there is just a chance that you have inadvertently used mmu again).

Make sure you computer shows extensions as if it doesn't then you may be saving a file in notepad as tomtom.mnu.txt but not seeing the extension (Must admit this is grasping at straws since you have had it working so probably can see extensions).

Just in case you have any earlier menus (regardless of whether or not you have renamed them with different extensions) on your 300, it may be a good idea to look in each directory and delete/take off any you may find so that there is only 1 tomtom.mnu (all lower case - not TomTom.mnu).

Keep us all informed how you are getting on.

DeeSee
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: ScaredyCats Apps Re: Quick Add Camera Reply with quote

jimbokb wrote:
I recently installed Scaredcats Apps v5.202 plus apps on my 300.

I may regret asking this, but what is the above, and what does it do.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: ScaredyCats Apps Re: Quick Add Camera Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
jimbokb wrote:
I recently installed Scaredcats Apps v5.202 plus apps on my 300.

I may regret asking this, but what is the above, and what does it do.

It's a later version of the Linux driven TT software, written to make use of the additional apps that Scaredycat has compiled for use on the GO series.

The most popular one is the '2 tap useable' Quickam, an app that adds a lat/long to a POI group called My Cameras (it doesn't need to be cameras that are recorded), and in the text it puts the name of the road and the speed that you are travelling. That is 2 taps if you have it on Page 1 of the Main Menu.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Richard, I think I understand what it is now, a new app to give additional menu items/functions on the GO
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeSee

Many thanks for your input & it is good to know that I am not the only person with the Grayed out phone replacing the Connect To Phone icon, I am beginning to wonder if this problem is purely related to the TTG 300 alone.

I have sent my MNU file to many people who just cannot understand why this is happening but it would appear most if not all are using TTG Classic where the Connect To Phone icon is not an issue since the Classic is not Bluetooth enabled.

I have at this time reverted to an mnu file that shows the Quick Add Cam on page four (4 Taps to the screen) while the mnu file shows it to be on page 1 (SDK 1) which while being a pain at least it allows me access to the Connect To Phone option even though in theory this mnu file should not work since it also shows Add Favourites on page 4 when its actually on page 1

I am not bothered where the Connect To Phone icon appears in the menu or what page just as long as it is there and is accessible
Anybody who is unsure what the fuss is about then PM with email address & I will send screenshots
to show visually what I mean.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbokb wrote:
I have at this time reverted to an mnu file that shows the Quick Add Cam on page four (4 Taps to the screen) while the mnu file shows it to be on page 1 (SDK 1)

Sounds to me that you have the wrong SDK listed, have you done what is in the FAQ's about this

Quote:
Q: I followed the instructions to create a tomtom.mnu file but I get a different icon on the first page not the quickcam one.

A: Yes, sorry. This isn't my fault it's just the implementation method that TomTom chose to use. It sucks. The only reliable solution I've found is to rename the tomtom.mnu file to something like tomtom.xxx. Then restart your Go. Ok, so now what you do is tap the centre of the screen once to bring up the menu. Use the arrow pointing to the right to find the first page the new applications. The one that is in the top left is numbered 1, see diagram below

1 2 3
4 5

So note where the Quickam icon appears, take a note of it's number. Connect your Go to your PC again and rename tomtom.xxx back to tomtom.mnu and then edit it. On the entry for the first page there's a line :

MENUITEM|TASK_SDKx|

where x is a number. Change this number to the number you got from the previous stage. Restart your Go and the Quickam icon should appear on the first page.

Apologies if you have already tried that.
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have done this which does move the Quick Cam to page 1 and Favourites to page 4 but again the Connect To Phone option (MENUITEM|TASK_DIAL_POI|) /icon has disappeared completely, it really does not make any sense.
Have a look at the mnu file and you will see that the phone entry is there but does not display on TT.

MENUBLOCK|BLOCK_MAIN|BTM_GPS_POSITION|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE1|Main Menu 1 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_NAVIGATE_TO|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_FIND_ALTERNATIVES|
MENUITEM|TASK_DELETE_ROUTE|
MENUITEM|TASK_SDK1|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PREFERENCES|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE2|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE2|Main Menu 2 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_PLAN_ATOB|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_MAP|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_ROUTE_INSTRUCTIONS|
MENUITEM|TASK_ITINERARY|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE3|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE3|Main Menu 3 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_WEATHER|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_DOWNLOAD|
MENUITEM|TASK_MENU_TRAFFIC|
MENUITEM|TASK_TUTORIAL|
MENUITEM|TASK_SHOW_GPS_STATUS|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE4|
MENUPAGE|TASK_PAGE4|Main Menu 4 of 4|
MENUITEM|TASK_ADD_FAVORITE|
MENUITEM|TASK_DIAL_POI|
MENUITEM|TASK_PAGE1|

If I make the task dial entry the last entry, by that i mean the last entry in the file then it will appear on the TT, but if I leave it where it is as above file shows it does not appear on the TT.
DeeSee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jimbokb,

It is clear now what you are doing. You are using the default menu and not any menu you have added.

You are finding connect to phone on page 3 top right and quickam on page 4 are you not?

To verify whether or not this is the case take off your menu from the TT (only tomtom.mnu - leave everything else on) and start it up. You will find the menu you are seeing is the one you have been using for a while and are "resigned to" since it allows you to connect to your phone and still has quickam on it.

This is the TT default menu but with SDKs added at the end.

I have a feeling that no one has cracked the correct task terminology for a menu "connect to phone" task and that what you are running with is the best you can do for now.

The rest of us can use our own menus (with quickam on page 1) because, presumably, we don't need the "connect to phone" facility.

Sooner or later the fog will lift and we will all be able to make the TT do what we want.

DeeSee
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes all is as you say and sadly i have to agree.
I did say that there was something in the Tomtom's own menu that may be conflicting with the mnu and as you say, much as I hate to admit it I am stuck with Quick Add Cam on page 4 in order to access my phone menu.

I will leave things as they are for now.

Thanks for all your help.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it seem odd that TomTom have released the SDK, but haven't provided this most obvious bit of information, namely the syntax of the menu items?

Has anyone actually tried asking them for it?
jimbokb
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes Tomtom weeks sometime months just to answer a simple question, why would they bother to reply for something so important.

I received an email just the other day from them that I sent in 3 WHOLE MONTHS AGO.
Skwark
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Doesn't it seem odd that TomTom have released the SDK, but haven't provided this most obvious bit of information, namely the syntax of the menu items?

Has anyone actually tried asking them for it?

You can get the syntax for all menu items from the tomtom online menu editor (not official!), which is how I edited my menu.

The website does have the ability to save .mnu files you design on the site, but I found the interface tricky so went for the manual editing option.

Only problem is I can't remember the URL, but I'm sure you've seen it before anyway - just hover the mouse over the icons and the syntax is displayed as ALT text (tool tip).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: