Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator OP Ver 5.1.83 - configuring Auto Alerts question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator OP Ver 5.1.83 - configuring Auto Alerts question
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW the hardest part is probably editing the POIObserver.ini file to get rid of all the overlay windows except the alert and position the others. The way I have it now is there is no intervention from POIobserver until a speed camera is 12seconds away then audio alert of my choice, a box comes up just above the home button and gives a speed camera (one for Gatso, one for temp) icon and a box with a countdown in metres. Then it disappears. Took me an eternity to position it as you have to actually edit it, copy it to the PPC and run POIObserver again until you get it in the right place. But now its done I should be able to give you the file and you can replace the other. In fact if I could send you a couple of zip files I reckon you could be rockin in 15 minutes as we have the same phones and PN.

Couldn't guarantee it'd be easy to update later as the creation process has links which won't exist on your PC but it would mean you'd have this months speed cameras and you wouldn't wait 2 minutes for the bloody thing to start !!

You don't actually see the icon on the map but you still know there is one and when you get alerted its easy to spot them with your eyes. I like this approach a lot and I'm slowly getting close to a happy setup. Off to Paris next week by car form North Yorks so looking forward to seeing how PN copes with Naving across countries.

One other thing I've done is chopped up the 'approching destination' and 'continue driving across the roundabout' files to make a new one so now I just get 'approaching roundabout' third exit, 500yds or similar. It does say approaching roundabout when I'm AT the roundabout but its better than hearing that bird read a book to you 3 times!!

BTW I was talking about roundabouts (or lack of them) with an American client recently. I think the reason why it says 'continue driving around....... blah blah' is because to an American over here for the first time it actually gives them a clue what to do! And thats not insulting our friends over there. Do you know what to do at a 4-way stop sign in each state of the US? I don't. However, it would be good if there was an option to let Destinator know that you are familiar with them and shorten the damn message!
Holux GPSslim
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, must admit my first experience of US roads was trying to find Highway 17 out of San Jose Airport in the dark. Could have done with sat nav then!

I've PM'd you with an email address
Goshdarnit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimbo_hippo wrote:
BTW the hardest part is probably editing the POIObserver.ini file to get rid of all the overlay windows except the alert and position the others. The way I have it now is there is no intervention from POIobserver until a speed camera is 12seconds away then audio alert of my choice, a box comes up just above the home button and gives a speed camera (one for Gatso, one for temp) icon and a box with a countdown in metres. Then it disappears. Took me an eternity to position it as you have to actually edit it, copy it to the PPC and run POIObserver again until you get it in the right place. But now its done I should be able to give you the file and you can replace the other. In fact if I could send you a couple of zip files I reckon you could be rockin in 15 minutes as we have the same phones and PN.

Couldn't guarantee it'd be easy to update later as the creation process has links which won't exist on your PC but it would mean you'd have this months speed cameras and you wouldn't wait 2 minutes for the bloody thing to start !!

You don't actually see the icon on the map but you still know there is one and when you get alerted its easy to spot them with your eyes. I like this approach a lot and I'm slowly getting close to a happy setup. Off to Paris next week by car form North Yorks so looking forward to seeing how PN copes with Naving across countries.

One other thing I've done is chopped up the 'approching destination' and 'continue driving across the roundabout' files to make a new one so now I just get 'approaching roundabout' third exit, 500yds or similar. It does say approaching roundabout when I'm AT the roundabout but its better than hearing that bird read a book to you 3 times!!

BTW I was talking about roundabouts (or lack of them) with an American client recently. I think the reason why it says 'continue driving around....... blah blah' is because to an American over here for the first time it actually gives them a clue what to do! And thats not insulting our friends over there. Do you know what to do at a 4-way stop sign in each state of the US? I don't. However, it would be good if there was an option to let Destinator know that you are familiar with them and shorten the damn message!

Hi there,

I am just starting out with POI Observer, having recently bought a TMC enabled GPS receiver, meaning I am almost forced to use Destinator PN with it's useless favourites system. Being in the UK, Destinator's the only up-to-date software that supports TMC. I have just about got POI Observer working, but can you tell me just how you got the countdown window to appear? I can't find that one anywhere! Also, can you tell me if there is a particular folder that the bmp files for the icons have to go in? I believe they have to have exactly the same name as the sound file. Is that right? Do they also go in the sounds folder? I am just getting a red rectangular window with some text in it at the moment, and no countdown.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Alex.

PS Have you found the program "Observer.ini"? It is a small exe file that goes in your POI Observer folder, and allows you to alter your ini file on the PDA. It makes it much easier to position all your windows appropriately. It's available from Navifriends as well.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: