Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - WARNING FOR GO 300 Users
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

WARNING FOR GO 300 Users
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slast wrote:
The website says that an upgrade is available to "All owners of a TomTom GO with a valid product code." and "The upgrade price for the Maps of Western Europe is 59 EUR inc. VAT (excluding shipping and handling) for a complete upgrade of software and maps. This CD set will contain the application and the maps of 17 European countries."

I fear that you are misunderstanding what it is saying - and it is certainly not as clear as it might be.

When it mentions a valid product code, it means for the product which you want to upgrade. So, to qualify for the upgrade price (rather than the full purchase price) of the Maps of Western Europe, you have to own the previous version - and quote its product code. Unfortunately, you won't be able to do that, since you will only have a product code for UK map.

You will therefore have to buy either a France map on SD card or a complete 6-CD set of Europe Maps, and copy the maps you want into an SD card. Problem is, I don't think they've been released on general sale yet, but are only available as upgrades to people who have earlier versions.

A lot of people have - understandably - expressed concern about not being able to buy maps in time for their planned holidays. I know it doesn't help you, but it does seem to be a common problem.

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK, the upgrade offer you mention was applicable only to owners of the original GO.
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the rapid replies!!

I think you are probably right.... which makes me a bit p****d off as I had checked it with the vendor before buying!! In any event, I can't find any way to BUY a France SD card - the website doesn't appear to supply them and UK retailers refer you straight back to the web-site!

I may be able to find someone in France who has a card, but would the map data files be readable if transferred to my SD card? I don't mind paying for the blasted thing but there doesn't seem to be any way of doing so!

One other thing - I noted the earlier correspondence on this thread about backups and did that to my unit - I thought the backup routine was rather "bad mannered" as it didn't give any indicatuion of where the files were going to be, and seemed to just dump them into my documents!
Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't use someone elses SD card as it would require activation on your device.

As for backups, the only proper backup is a full copy of your SD to somewhere safe. The backup routine suggested on the CD backs up favourites et al, nothing more so if your SD gets knackered, so are you!
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You can't use someone elses SD card as it would require activation on your device."

I understand that, but are the map files themselves device - specific? Presumably if you can buy them (eventually!!) on a CD, they are then ciopied to your own SD card? Is it not possible fopr example to put sevaeral maps on a larger SD card in if you want to? If so, how does that get "activated"?
Steve
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slast wrote:
I may be able to find someone in France who has a card, but would the map data files be readable if transferred to my SD card? I don't mind paying for the blasted thing but there doesn't seem to be any way of doing so!

If you can find an official French supplier from which to buy the map, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. Don't try doing any deals with a French TTG owner though, because you won't be able to activate a pirated copy on your device.

slast wrote:
One other thing - I noted the earlier correspondence on this thread about backups and did that to my unit - I thought the backup routine was rather "bad mannered" as it didn't give any indicatuion of where the files were going to be, and seemed to just dump them into my documents!
Steve

You have backed up the whole SD card, haven't you - and not just your favourites and settings? How big is the backup folder on your PC? [It needs to be the same size as the total amount of space used on your SD card - like 100+ MB]

Satmap Active 10+ v1.50 with full UK 1:50k map and 1:25k/1:10k County maps of Hampshire & Warwickshire
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just allowed it to run from the original setup disk, and it looked like it had copied the whole set of files, however when I look more closely it is missing about 100 mb from some of the folders! So I've copied the whole thing now.

I am really rather annoyed about the card issue as I need France more than the UK, I would have delayed buying it until I got there if I had known that the maps would be sucj a problem.

Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 secs on Google:

TomTom GO France Maps on SD

TomTom GO Western Europe mapset
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha! You can tell I'm a complete novice at this GPS related stuff....!!

I understood from the message on their voicemail that the maps set would "be available soon", but assumed that as it isn't shown as available on their website wasn't available at all. Now, given that I appear to have been burned once by not comprehending that there is a difference between a Tomtom GO and Tomtom GO 300, can I be sure that the CD map set will run on my new 300??? It certainly seems better value than the SD card. However, I still don't understand about how a map off a CD set will apparently run OK, while a copied file off someone esle's SD card won't. Not proposing to do that, just don't understand what the difference is and don't want to buy something which then won't work again. Thanks very much for the comments, much appreciated.
Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both those links are for maps that will work on your GO 300. It is possible that they are older releases but will work all the same. If you are concerned just ask the retailer to confirm suitablity withe the Go 300.

Wether on SD or CD, maps need to be activated on first use, on the SD you insert and activate, on the CD you install your chosen map(s) to an SD card and then activate. Once activated they will work on that device only and if the SD is inserted into another GO they will prompt for activation.

Below is a link at TotalPDA to a mapset specifically adverstised as being for the GO 300:

France
slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much indeed for both the pointers and the explanation!
Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're most welcome, apologies if the replies appeared terse, I'm trying to ctach up on a backlog Smile

Last edited by Darren on Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
rkm_hm
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slast wrote:
I understood from the message on their voicemail that the maps set would "be available soon", but assumed that as it isn't shown as available on their website wasn't available at all. Now, given that I appear to have been burned once by not comprehending that there is a difference between a Tomtom GO and Tomtom GO 300, can I be sure that the CD map set will run on my new 300??? It certainly seems better value than the SD card. However, I still don't understand about how a map off a CD set will apparently run OK, while a copied file off someone esle's SD card won't. Not proposing to do that, just don't understand what the difference is and don't want to buy something which then won't work again. Thanks very much for the comments, much appreciated.
Steve

I suspect that the maps in the link given by Darren are the OLD ones - which should work ok - but you'd have to pay the upgrade fee on top of that to get the latest ones - which would probably be more than buying the new ones from scratch - if you could get them.

With regard to maps off CD vs pirated copies from someone else's SD card, let me explain about activation. When you buy a map - either on SD or CD - it comes with a unique product code. The first time you try to run it, TTG asks for an Activation code. In order to obtain the activation code, you have to go a special part of TomTom's website and enter both the Product Code and your TTG's Device Code. TT hold the relationship between Product Code and Device Code in their database - and if you try to get an activation code to run a map on your TTG which has already been activated on another TTG (e.g. pirated) you won't get one. But there's no problem in activating a map from a CD as long as it hasn't already been activated elsewhere.

Incidentally, the map supplied with your TTG was pre-activated at the factory - so you didn't have to go through all that rigmarole.

[The above explanation is a slight over-simplification - and there are defined circumstances under which you can activate a map on more than one device - but you should get the general idea].

slast
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again. Let me know if this is leading to too much "thread creep"!

The file activation stuff is highly informative! Clearly these guys are using the Gillette marketing technique, the equipment is amazingly good value but renewables are expensive if you need them.

Say I want to do a journey Marlow Bucks to S of France. Obviously the S of France destination isn't on my UK map or database.

So if I buy a France SD card, and another larger capacity HD as well,

1) can i move my legitimate France AND UK data onto the one larger card and be sure it will run?

2) can I then construct a single journey itinerary?

Or do I need to construct say Marlow- Channel Tunnel entry, swap cards and then do tunnel exit - destination?
Steve
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer re. the multiple maps on one card query but regardless, cross border routing is not possible so you would need two distinct routes on the two seperate map sets.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: