Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I created a Tomtom home backup prior to installing new app, if i use home to restore this backup will it be old app? I now see why a manual back up is so important! Also restore factory settings, will that just put the unit back to out of the box state but with new app? Tried ringing tomtom yesterday got to select tech support then just sit in queue! i was within the first teen callers Laughing Out Loud! dont think they were working! doh! What i time to launch a bodged app!!!!! as i said before 'did the programmers want some double bubble overtime for easter long weekend' Laughing Out Loud
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start TomTom Home2 then click Tools/ TomTom Home Preferences_Folder preferences tab it will show you the folder location where it has stored your back up, use Windows Explorer to move this to somewhere safe as it can be coppied back to the device using Windows Explorer, getting it out of the Home2 related folder will stop any modifications to it - and from now on use Windows Explorer it is more reliable - Mike
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea ta mike lesson learned the hard way Laughing Out Loud if when i've restored old app and i restore factory setting will it then start up with initiation questions? and if so is that a good place to do a windows explorer backup? ta in advance
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got off the phone to TT C./S the chap SEEMED unaware of any issues stating the test units work fine! he then asked me to factory reset that was a waste of time, but he is sending me last app via email! i've suggested they look here for a few upgrade issues! hope thats ok?
duffer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the reply that I received on Thu 20 Mar after contacting TT about v7.480 which cocked up my 520:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support with regards to your GO 520

Please do not even try to update to version 7.480 because it has been RECALLED from the website until at least Wednesday next week, when it should be re released.

With Best Regards

The TomTom Customer Support Team
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duffer wrote:
This is the reply that I received on Thu 20 Mar after contacting TT about v7.480 which cocked up my 520:

Please do not even try to update to version 7.480 because it has been RECALLED from the website until at least Wednesday next week, when it should be re released.

With Best Regards

I suspect they are getting their wires crossed.

There WAS a similar version, one single last digit out from this, that a few users reported getting offered, on another forum elsewhere. This was soon pulled.

But in terms of this version now, I think that message is wrong (though I would LIKE it to be correct).

I say this becasue as a user who has rolled back to 7.221, every day when I connect my device to Home, I get told there is a new update for me to download. I need to UNtick it to continue, so that it DOESN'T get installed.

So reading your message, I just connected to Home now to test.

And alas, Home is still offering me it for download.

It wouldn't be doing this if it really HAD been pulled.

Oh well. Hopefully they'll get the message soon though, and fix it and do another version!
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

duffer wrote:

With Best Regards

Ok phone them again telling them i'm not happy because of the quoted issue! The young lady(sounded young Laughing Out Loud) said this 'WE'RE UNAWARE OF ANY ISSUES WITH THE NEW APP, BUT I'M SURE THERE WORKING HARD TO FIX THE PROBLEMS!' am i stupid or something but if your unaware of a problem how the hell can you be working on a fix! i smell something not pleasant Laughing Out Loud
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:

You may find it's doing so because it's in your PC.

Try searching (Win Explorer) for a directory named Navcore.7.480.9084@tomtom.com (That's not a link, it's automatically doing the colour because of the @ sign)- it's about 9 levels down below Docs & Settings on my PC and think about deleting it or moving it (or maybe just renaming it as DUDNavcore.7.blah... - to restore all you'd do is delete the "DUD") and see if that stops it.

DISCLAIMER - I haven't tried it myself.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
shadamehr wrote:

You may find it's doing so because it's in your PC.

Try searching (Win Explorer) for a directory named Navcore.7.480.9084@tomtom.com (That's not a link, it's automatically doing the colour because of the @ sign)- it's about 9 levels down below Docs & Settings on my PC and think about deleting it or moving it (or maybe just renaming it as DUDNavcore.7.blah... - to restore all you'd do is delete the "DUD") and see if that stops it.

DISCLAIMER - I haven't tried it myself.

Dennis,

A fair suggestion, but alas not the correct one (erm, just a factual statement, nothing more - not sure how to phrase it so it doesn't come across frosty, if you follow).

As Home is offering me the newer version, as it sees I have a now 'old' version on my device. Just as if I had never updated and then rolled back.

It's actually the correct behaviour, as far as I can tell, as it simply thinks I am a user of an App. Version for which there is now a newer update.

Of course, having experienced the hell it brings me, and thus rolled back deliberately to prior version, I don't actually 'want' the newer one.

But Home suggesting I download it, each time I connect, is correct behaviour, I suppose...
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Question
What's new in the latest application for TomTom GO, ONE and RIDER?
Answer
List of new features and improvements

Version 7.480
(TomTom GO 520/720/920 only)

Support for TomTom HD Traffic receiver
Other minor improvements

They forgot to mention all the new bugs they have introduced and the complete fudging of RDS-TMC
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what its worth this is my experience with 7.480 so far.

Plus's: Its the latest version 7 firmware with some version 8 funtionality.

Minus's: RDS-TMC locks on with a green circle easier, but then 10 minutes later you lose a segment and you are not up to date anymore. Much like it was with an amber circle, except you knew straight away you had lost the signal.

Menu's have been cut down or re-jigged so the features you were used to are still there but hidden.

The route i used for several days after the update, Cheshunt (North London-ish to Tower Hill (London) Using the fastest option, would send me directly southbound through Tottenham, Stamford Hill, and Shoreditch. At peek travel times this can take about an hour to hour and a half.
After the update, I am now directed round the M25 to the M11 then down the A12 too Bow and right turn into the city.
Now assuming this is the IQ funtionality kicking in, everybody who knows this area will realise how much faster this is at that time of day NOT Laughing Out Loud.

In all honesty i can live with these bugs till they fix them, I have not really noticed anything else other than it does appear sluggish as mentioned by others and I cannot remember the small side road indications before a turn direction in the bottom left screen before the update.

PS. Just had a MapShare update and it went from 71023 corrections to 71010. Is that the same for all and is it a problem or verifation changes?

Dave

TomTom GO520
App 7.480
Western Europe Maps 710
AusRef
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got one of those useless responses from TomTom.

To my issues with the inability to select streets (as earlier posted in this thread), I received the first response which told me to delete a directory from the device which doesn't exist. To my follow-up pointing this out, I received this gem:

Quote:
Dear Mr XXX,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

If your TomTom device freezes on one of the startup screens, or the device randomly freezes, we advise you to follow the steps mentioned on the following web page:-

http://www.tomtom.com/9080

Please confirm if you have any further issues.

With Best Regards

My device has never 'frozen' randomly or at a startup screen, nor have I given any indication it has! At least some of you in the northern hemisphere are getting the admission that their software update 'has a problem'!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, whilst I am even sceptical of my OWN reply from TomTom, I should still post to say that like the user higher up, I surprisingly received a message from TT today, from my queries last week, that I thought had been answered to the tune of "we are looking into it but have no date for a fix".

And this is what TomTom had to say about the latest App. Version:

Quote:
Dear Mr xxxxxxxx,

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support,

I have heard back from our 2nd line support team with regards to your application 7.480 on your Go 720 - We expect a new application update for GO 720 soon. In the meantime you should keep the 7.221.

Regards,

Adam W

TomTom Customer Support

Make of it what you will. Personally I believe a fix is needed, but I don't believe one will be ready any time too soon.

But we'll just have to watch and see...

At least, if you hold any stock in them, TT 2nd Line themselves are saying stick with 7.221 for now...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is time to ask for an official response from TomTom before amending the news item on the front page of the web site and the first post within this thread. If TT Support are saying it shouldn't be used, perhaps we should be passing that message on?
Also it would be worth asking them when do they think the newer version will be made available - Mike
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Perhaps it is time to ask for an official response from TomTom before amending the news item on the front page of the web site and the first post within this thread. If TT Support are saying it shouldn't be used, perhaps we should be passing that message on?
Also it would be worth asking them when do they think the newer version will be made available - Mike

Has this site ever received an official response for publication regarding bugs/faults? As far as I can tell, TT dont even publish a detailed list of changes in versions. Perhaps ALL TT users will have to sign a NDA in future before getting an update. Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 12 of 26

Jump to: