Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom launch 7.480 for GO x20 devices
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taximark wrote:
Does anyone know when TT will release an update that has no bugs and will cure the 7.4V ?

since the last bug free version was probably tomtom 2 i reckon there will be a long wait ,but they better bring out a decent update to fix their ?? asap
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Being new to all this and having just ordered a TTGO920t (yes I know the x30 is coming but if we all thought like that we would never buy anything!!) what is the advice when this arrives on Friday? How do I avoid these problems or will I have no choice in what version to use?

Nice site by the way. Is my ICN 520 a bit out of date now?
Thanks Wink
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When your new toy arrives connect it to the PC and take a full back up using Windows Explorer, if TomTom Home tries to install to your PC abort the installation. Instructions on using Windows Explorer to back up your device can be found on the FAQ page Here #1 is the one you want, but take some time to read the other links where applicable.

As for updating the device, keep an eye on the TomTom forum section and I am sure when this latest debacle is sorted there will be an announcement, at this point connect the device to the PC, let it install TomTom Home to the PC, update the PC application and use it to update the device (but you will always have the all important day one backup on the PC should things go wrong - Mike
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

I assumed ( perhaps wrongly ) that my new Sat Nav would be loaded with the latest ( and problematical ) version. mayb not then if it has been 'on the shelf' for a good while.

Thanks for this. Any ideas how long it will be before they sort it out?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt it will have 7,480 loaded when you get it (to check simply tap the sat strength meter in the lower right corner and the version will display.
As for another update, how long is a piece of string? - my crystal ball has long since packed up so your guess is as good as mine, although I would expect some employees at TomTom will be very busy in the morning Laughing - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Hi
Being new to all this and having just ordered a TTGO920t (yes I know the x30 is coming but if we all thought like that we would never buy anything!!) what is the advice when this arrives on Friday? How do I avoid these problems or will I have no choice in what version to use?

Thanks Wink

May I just underline Mike's advice to back up FIRST. And in this respect, note that when you first switch it on, it asks you to answer sundry setup questions - WAIT, Don't answer them, plug it into the PC and do a Win Explorer backup, THEN go ahead and answer the setup questions. I must here admit that I forgot this advice with my own new one so I have a very early backup immediately after answering the setup questions, but not the out of the box backup that I wish I had done. Embarassed

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EVERYBODY - Who agrees with me that PocketGPSWorld should award a free lifetime membership to the first person to accurately report the first inane unrelated response from TomTom tomorrow morning?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis - noted and thanks.
john877
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hectorsgaf wrote:
Hi

Thanks Wink

Don't forget you can check for the latest map guarantee within 30 days and you will be updated to the latest version
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But is it not the latest version that is causing the problems? Or is the 7.480 version something different to the maps? Sorry for being a bit dense but are the maps something separate? Embarassed
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the latest application that is causing the problem not the latest map, however to get the map requires connecting via TomTom Home which will install the problematic application - its a bit of a catch 22 at the moment.

As you have 30 days I would sit this out for three weeks (unless you hear on the forum the problems are resolved), if not having made your day one backup connect it to the PC and grab the map updates, you can always roll back the application from the backup its just not quite as easy having to do this as perhaps it could/ should be - Mike
Hectorsgaf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understood. Perhaps I should be grateful to be in this position where I can get this valuable advice BEFORE even turning the new toy on!! Wink Clearly others are not quite as lucky!!!
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
It is the latest application that is causing the problem not the latest map, however to get the map requires connecting via TomTom Home which will install the problematic application - its a bit of a catch 22 at the moment.

As you have 30 days I would sit this out for three weeks (unless you hear on the forum the problems are resolved), if not having made your day one backup connect it to the PC and grab the map updates, you can always roll back the application from the backup its just not quite as easy having to do this as perhaps it could/ should be - Mike

Mike,

Can he not just Untick the option for the Application Update, when offered, in the same way as you can refuse QuickGPSFix updates.

Having myself reverted back to prior version following your handy advice how I do this, each time I connect to Home now, the App. Update is just one of the may things offered to me for update, along with Mapshares. I untick the App update, and the QuickGPSFix, but leave Mapshare ticked, then click the "Go" button in home.

I suspect this would be the same for the new user - untick the App. Update etc, but keep the new Map Update offered, ticked. If so, perhaps you'd like to talk him through it, as I am er, cutting down on posts for while.

But this should work for him I think mate.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
EVERYBODY - Who agrees with me that PocketGPSWorld should award a free lifetime membership to the first person to accurately report the first inane unrelated response from TomTom tomorrow morning?

Laughing Out Loud bet it will be another LAME excuse as always
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy-c1 wrote:
DennisN wrote:

Laughing Out Loud bet it will be another LAME excuse as always

For what it's worth.......

The 7.480 upgrade also scubbered the 920 and 720 North America models as well.

The 920's had VR disabled, Operate my Home (pc) ceased to work for many and, apparently, Itinerary Planning disappeared as an icon.

The 720's also had VR disabled (reminder: the NA 720's were never desined to have VR; it took a 'hack' involving a support_asr.dat file to enable the feature ... which 4.80 stopped working).

I was in touch with a poster in a USA forum who works for TT. According to him, the 7.480 upgrade "took them by surprise" in terms of all the features that got broken on the 920 (NA) units. He told me that a 'either a "patch" or a separate application' would be released this Thursday to fix the problems. He made no mention of any remedy for (NA) 720's.

Some users in NA have gotten VR to work again: one by simply copying a backup up mapsettings.cfg file, the rest by copying the asr files -- akll of them -- from a computer stored 7.221.cab to the asr folder on their unit.

Anyway, that's the current status in the 'colonies' Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 11 of 26

Jump to: