Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 2545 Doesn't display all Camera Icons
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 2545 Doesn't display all Camera Icons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. But they worked so hard to give you the tools to do it seems funny for them to say they don't support it.

I get that they don't support third party data sets.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to reduce any possible confusion here can we clarify in our posts which type of 'support' we mean:

1) support - as in offering help
2) support - as in being compatible with

Very Happy

MaFt
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example of what I mean.

Garmin say here are some tools but we don't provide data to use with it. If you use any data with it even if it confirms to our requirements and you have problems we don't want to know. 

Or

Bit like car marker X producing the Apple Class, Banana Class, Carrot Class, Egg Class cars etc for years in many different varients. Each year the required petrol specification stays the same. In 2012 they introduce the all new Kiwi Class. Again it has the same petrol requirements as the previous classes but oddly when it's filled with the required grade petrol it has issues with stalling and producing loads of smoke. The car maker blames the fuel.

Last edited by PaulB2005 on Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walkerx wrote:
which variable cams you on about and on which motorway

I tend to forget that others don't see these every day. There's loads on the M6 and M42 around Birmingham and others on the M25 and possibly others elsewhere. I suspect these are outside your area but you may be able to reproduce the problems using the demo route function.

Sorry, I don't have a Garmin to help more.
Brodit ProClip mount
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also some slowly appearing on the M62 Bradford/Leeds area while they upgrade to a 'managed motorway'.

MaFt
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
walkerx wrote:
which variable cams you on about and on which motorway

I tend to forget that others don't see these every day. There's loads on the M6 and M42 around Birmingham and others on the M25 and possibly others elsewhere. I suspect these are outside your area but you may be able to reproduce the problems using the demo route function.

Sorry, I don't have a Garmin to help more.

I know off the one's on the M25 but around South/West Yorkshire I've never seen any of these. The main cameras are average, mobile and fixed.

I've also noticed on the M62 where they are doing the road-works they seem to be putting up a camera every at regular intervals and not sure if these are just for the lane used for the workers as they aren't regular specs cameras.

they more like traffic/cctv cameras on a single grey post
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my Garmin (2200) I noticed a warning problem with variable speed Motorway cameras.

The 'problem' was that Garmin insist on a global 36 second advance warning which in my opinion is far too long. At 70mph how far can you travel in 36 seconds? It was getting to the stage where I'd forgotten I'd had a warning by the time I spotted the camera. I think 12 to 14 seconds is far more realistic.

Because the Motorway cameras near me are variable and therefore the warning speed cannot be determined I was always getting both the camera and the overspeed warning.

As USFlyer is finding, having cameras on the same gantry but in opposite directions causes a double warning, and, with the overspeed, a quadruple warning. Garmin have also set these warnings to 'stack up' so you get teh 4 warnings 'back to back'. On occasions when the 4th one was playing I'd passed the camera anyway.

Being a developer I knew I could attack the problem. I set out and created an app that has code to identify these very close cameras and remove one of them. I also used the GPX format which allows me to adjust the overspeed warning (courtesy of Ash10 and Gary Hayman for doing the initial investigation work and finding the solution via the 'proximity' setting). I also change the embedded variable camera speed from zero to 70 which now only produces the overspeed warning if I'm doing over 70 (my choice).

Personally I think Garmin should allow the use of third party directional POI's and the problem would be gone forever.

Whilst I sympathise with USFlyer not being technical, some of the file amendment suggestions are very simple:

Open a file in NotePad
Find a line or two
Delete them
Save the file

ps: There is nothing wrong with the PGPSW database file format, it follows the Garmin rules to the letter. Garmin will presumably always advise against third party cameras in favour of Cyclops from which I imagine they get commission?
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kremmen wrote:
At 70mph how far can you travel in 36 seconds?
A bit under 3/4 mile! 1232 yards
walkerx
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@USFlyer - if you aren't going to be reporting incorrect cameras then suggest you use either default or gpx convertor - on either of these you must setup manually and change alert to 0mph.

if you don't do this then the alerts may not always display as per the information here as otherwise you need to be speeding for the alerts to show.

if you wish to report incorrect cameras then it is best to use Ash's Camera Manager. See here for setup information. Under settings I only have 'Include unconfirmed mobile camera locations (pMobile)' selected and 'Sort by camera type and speed limit'

Also not noticed it on the nulink 2390 but it doesn't show the grey/red banner along the top of the satnav

One thing I did notice was that on both of these when going through a section i know has 2 mobile speed camera locations either side of the dual-carriageway, if I went one way not all the icons were showing, but going the other way all four location icons were shown.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: