Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera position
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera position
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Camera position Reply with quote

Hi stamford,

stamford wrote:
Hi is it possible for alerts when only on side /direction vehicle is driving?

As has already been suggested, I'd go for the CamerAlert app on either an Android or iPhone. As a subscriber to the PGPSW database you can have the directional alerts plus the correct warning (with average speed shown) for SPECS cameras on the CamerAlert app. You can also for no extra charge have the cameras shown on your TomTom.

I have the cameras showing on my TomTom 950 (with no alerts) and run the CamerAlert app on my Android phone which on alerts for cameras in the direction that I drive.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alerts for cameras on wrong side of road is something I've experienced quite a few times.

My son use to be at uni in Cambridge and I travelled up and down the A1 frequently.

Alerts for cameras on the other side of the road happened all the time and also for cameras on other side roads.

This happened both with my 700 and now my 550 Live and on both the option to warn only on route was ticked.

As an example, Truvelo 1650 on northbound A1 near Great Gonerby. If I plan a route southbound on the A1, I get a warning about this camera.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly TomTom's own database is directional but I'd rather have a double hit from PGPSW than rely on TomTom's own notoriously unreliable offering!
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antoeknee wrote:
...As an example, Truvelo 1650 on northbound A1 near Great Gonerby. If I plan a route southbound on the A1, I get a warning about this camera.
TomTom's idea of "on route" includes a short distance off route.
This allows the TomTom to warn you about cameras which may affect you if you deviate from the planned route and the TomTom has not yet had time to recalculate a new route for you.
As a result of this you can get warnings for cameras on the opposite side of a dual carriageway when there is a road joining the two sides which you might choose to take. In your example it would be possible to exit onto the A52 and rejoin the A1 heading North.
Over time TomTom have increased the distance away from the route that they still consider to be "on route"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, getting alerts for cameras "on the other side" has never bothered me. Even before I became a camera verifier, I found it comforting to know that the those cameras were in the database too. Otherwise you'd never know.

Regarding those on dual cariageways... On my first TomTom it often WOULD consider the other carriageway to be "off route" so not give alerts for those cameras, but all my recent ones almost always do.

As pcaouolte says: "Over time TomTom have increased the distance away from the route that they still consider to be "on route"" and I think that's because the system was missing things like petrol stations and motorway services because they weren't exactly on the carriageway.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no problem about the warning for the other side of the road, I'm quite use to this. Just thought I'd add my experience in light of OP's question.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: