Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - problem updating my TT940
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - problem updating my TT940
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has TonyD got an sd card installed in his 940? If so it boots from the sd card as the first option. If you remove the sd card it will boot from the internal memory. However he may have a mix, some files on sd card and some in internal.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
I'll admit I haven't looked back through the entire topic, but have you tried using a different SD card, and NOT formatting it on the Mac before use?

I'm not using an SD card, the slot is empty.
Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the software reset options seem to have been tried. Is it possibly the case that the symptoms are of an 'improper' device disconnection? Try a pin [soft] reset but do not turn on your device until you have connected it to the computer and have Home running. If it connects, check items on your device in Manage my Go [note any missing functions] and then follow normal disconnection process. Though this does seem a bit of a longshot as presumably the device has connected to/disconnected from the computer OK, when not using Home?
Kia In-dash Tomtom
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guivre46 wrote:
All the software reset options seem to have been tried. Is it possibly the case that the symptoms are of an 'improper' device disconnection? Try a pin [soft] reset but do not turn on your device until you have connected it to the computer and have Home running. If it connects, check items on your device in Manage my Go [note any missing functions] and then follow normal disconnection process. Though this does seem a bit of a longshot as presumably the device has connected to/disconnected from the computer OK, when not using Home?

Just tried that, all looks fine in Manage my Go, but just the same, comes up with the SD card with a cross through it when I power up the 940. Can anyone tell me what this picture actually means ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a picture of an SD card with a cross through it just means that the device cannot successfully read the program files from an SD card.

That could be because the program files are missing or corrupted, or because the SD card cannot be read properly at all.

but lets go back to the beginning here.... You have a Go940. As supplied that DOES NOT USE an SD card, everything is on the internal memory.

So, have you changed things and installed an SD card (actually a micro SD card) and possibly moved the operating system file onto it (or added a second set)?

Or have you just mistaken the picture and it's actually a picture of the internal memory with a cross through it?

If you do have an SD card installed remove it and report what happens when you switch on.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

but lets go back to the beginning here.... You have a Go940. As supplied that DOES NOT USE an SD card, everything is on the internal memory.

So, have you changed things and installed an SD card (actually a micro SD card) and possibly moved the operating system file onto it (or added a second set)?

Or have you just mistaken the picture and it's actually a picture of the internal memory with a cross through it?

If you do have an SD card installed remove it and report what happens when you switch on.

As I said in my previous reply to you, I do not have an SD card in the device, I am running it as supplied.
I don't think I've mistaken the picture, it's actually a movie showing what I think is an SD card being removed from the bottom of the device, moving to the middle right of the screen with a cross through it. The movie then just repeats.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I'm usually trying to follow several questions on several forums simultaneously, it's easy to miss a detail....

I've just tried as an experiment removing the TTsystem file from my 940 (internal memory)and removed the SD card (only music stored on that).

and sure enough, the bootloader does produce a graphic showing an SD card coming out with the red cross then drawn over it, which is a bit misleading.
If you put the SD card back in, you get a different animation which just flashes between icon for the internal memory and the SD card as if to say "I can't find anything anywhere", which is actually more logical.

So we are back to the basic issue of the TT not being able to find a usable set of program files. We will need to persevere with getting a working set back onto it which is normally done by the methods already mentioned of deleting all the "loose files" and re-downloading them from home or a direct link.

You said at first you couldn't run Home, but then you said you managed to reinstall everything. Can you give more details of what changed and exactly what you did?
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sorry, I'm usually trying to follow several questions on several forums simultaneously, it's easy to miss a detail....

I've just tried as an experiment removing the TTsystem file from my 940 (internal memory)and removed the SD card (only music stored on that).

and sure enough, the bootloader does produce a graphic showing an SD card coming out with the red cross then drawn over it, which is a bit misleading.
If you put the SD card back in, you get a different animation which just flashes between icon for the internal memory and the SD card as if to say "I can't find anything anywhere", which is actually more logical.

So we are back to the basic issue of the TT not being able to find a usable set of program files. We will need to persevere with getting a working set back onto it which is normally done by the methods already mentioned of deleting all the "loose files" and re-downloading them from home or a direct link.

You said at first you couldn't run Home, but then you said you managed to reinstall everything. Can you give more details of what changed and exactly what you did?

Thanks for that. What I did was download and reinstall the TomTom Home app on the Mac and got that working again. I also copied across using Finder the backup I had made (using Finder) on the day I received the device (I guess that is 18 months ago now). However, as I said earlier I reformatted the 940 - before I saw the post about only deleting loose files.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Format needs to be FAT32
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Format needs to be FAT32

Yes I did that
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have a bricked 940. Anyone any ideas on how to reinstall the software ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Download the Navcore for your device by clicking Here and save it to your computer, you then need to extract the files and folders from the download straight to the drive letter associated with your device, if you have access to a PC then I would use WinRar on the PC to extract the files to the device as I am not to sure as to what applications can sucessfully install the Navcore using a MAC - Mike
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Download the Navcore for your device by clicking Here and save it to your computer, you then need to extract the files and folders from the download straight to the drive letter associated with your device, if you have access to a PC then I would use WinRar on the PC to extract the files to the device as I am not to sure as to what applications can sucessfully install the Navcore using a MAC - Mike

I'll try that thanks. It's Stuffit on the Mac
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

Only just got around to trying this, but that link doesn't work for me. I just get masses of text in the browser window.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link does work. Download the compressed file to a location on your Mac. Then use Stuffit to extract the contents of the compressed file to your unit, overwriting if prompted.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: