Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom3 slow on Ipaq5550 with SD card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom3 slow on Ipaq5550 with SD card
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frenchie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have Tom Tom 3, but Tom Tom City Maps 2003, and it's also slow...
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValueFlash sold me a 512MB Panasonic made SD card for around 20 pounds cheaper than the Sandisk Ultra II - so I had no hesitation in choosing the Panasonic.

I have heard of some people getting problems with the Sandisk Ultra II SD cards - though they seem less troublesome than their standard stable mates.

If you've got Anton Tomov's Pocket Mechanic, I'd be interested in the benchmark results for your Sandisk Ultra II - I can give you figures for my Panasonic card in my 3970 for comparison.

David
Onyx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm digging this thread up from the past as I've had a fun day playing with cards and patches.

I posted a while back about really slow route calc times and address lookups. I got the usual replies about cards and stuff. What really improved the problem was applying the HP Card Driver update. Route calc times went down significantly to just a minute or so for complex routes, but address lookup still went quite slow and it was annoying! I kept in mind what had been said about SD cards and so finally decided to take the plunge at the weekend and get myself a new High Speed SD card. Was amazed when it turned up this morning - damn quick delivery!

Unfortunately my amazement at the delivery speed was the only good part of this story. Having looked around on the web for high speed cards - but forgetting to come here for recommendations - I ordered the card everyone said was fastest. I put it in the PDA and installed the UK map, but there was no difference in fact it seemed a little slower. What could be the problem? Oh no - it was a SanDisk Ultra II! Embarassed

So there ya go - I made a mess of that! But to answer David's question - on my HP3970 it benchmarks in Pocket Mechanic at a pathetic 0.11MB/s. My other two cards are:

Lexar (standard speed and made in Japan) - 0.53MB/s
Kingston (standard speed and made in Japan) - 0.58MB/s

Are those latter speeds any good or should I expect better from the right card?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benchmark speeds don't tell the whole story - Mike and I have been discussing this earlier today, and we both agree that it's the "real life" experience that matters more.

The results of your two "Made in Japan" cards sound pretty good and the Sandisk Ultra II card result is a bit disappointing. The Sandisk result is backed up by the poor performance in your navigation software - which is what matters most.

Those other two cards are likely Panasonic or Toshiba, which are both good types - they're not amazingly fast on write, but their read performance tends to be pretty good in a 3970 (either with the 4.00.08 Pocket PC 2003 ROM if you have the upgrade kit, or with the 2.10 Pocket PC 2002 ROM plus the SD driver fix).

Toshiba and Panasonic both use xxnxxnnnnnn codes (in these codes, x is a letter and n a number). Toshiba print the codes landscape, Panasonic portrait (there's usually a D000 on a Panasonic card as well). Both are almost invariably "Made in Japan".

The read speed figures given sound about right for a Panasonic or Toshiba card in a 3970 (both produce very similar results).

David
WillBrooks
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Transcend 45x 256Mb SD card in my iPaq 1945 (http://www.orcalogic.co.uk - I use, never had problems) and it has no slow down issues with TT3 at all that I've noticed.

Good prices too!

For interest the numbers on the back of my card are

091518 0033
6340 AB 256M

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: