Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Maps Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Maps Problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xkman wrote:
Firstly why are Halfords so unhelpful when someone has a problem with Tomtoms.
Why sould they help when they can point the finger elsewhere (Sale of goods act notwithstanding) Shocked . I expect a lot of people just go away, which is surely what they are after. Customer satisfaction does not seem to count for much with them Sad .
Glad you've got it working anyway Very Happy Very Happy
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly - Halfords just are like that. As M8TJT says, they'll happily give you TT's phone number and push you out the door. It's the only retailer I've known to behave in quite this fashion, but I've seen it in so many Halfords that I have to conclude it's a deliberate policy in the company. I have overcome it several times, but exchanges/refunds from others never gave the same hassle (e.g. Maplins, PC World, TotalPDA).

Secondly, TT support are not famous for "bright" or "knowledgeable". Face it, they spend all day on the phone dealing with customers, not all day driving round using the devices and certainly don't go home at night and fiddle with things to see how they tick. They have a whole bunch of ready-made answers without the support person knowing much about the devices, only how to react to trigger words. On-line support site is particularly "Word X = send answer 14".

Thirdly, TT NEVER indicate anything might go wrong or might be wrong. That's graven in stone on their desks and on the inside of their eyeballs - how would you react if they told you your map might disappear? You might tell them where to put their device and map sales! They HAVE to persuade you that you have or might have done something wrong by mistake - that would help their image when they put it right for you with one of the standard responses.

Fourthly, you've now got a working device. Using Windows Explorer, take a backup of it right now - that's simply create a directory (folder) called Backup 2010-06-08 (today's date) and copy and paste everything off your device into it. If/when TT offers you updates in the future, don't accept them - do another backup in the same way again, THEN go back again to get the update/s.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Firstly - Halfords just are like that. As M8TJT says, they'll happily give you TT's phone number and push you out the door. It's the only retailer I've known to behave in quite this fashion, but I've seen it in so many Halfords that I have to conclude it's a deliberate policy in the company.

I seem to remember Comet being rather similar....

Hopefully that's wrong or at least out of date info, and I'll be happy to be told they are now WONDERFUL at customer service! Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my first satnav from Comet - A GO300 back in 2005, with that model they couldn't fail to have a happy customer.

The reason I bought it there was because of all the places I went in browsing, they were the only ones to do me a demo - everywhere else either didn't have a display model or they didn't have one charged up, or it won't work inside, or a host of other reasons for not doing a demo. Young Comet Spotty said Certainly sir, went and got one and took me outside to show it off. So I bought one - that's how much comparison I did! I took it out the next day, didn't RTFM of course, and stopped using my streetmaps immediately. My mate always did proper comparisons, read reviews and did all the research and he told me it was regarded as the best on the market at the time. He was right and I was dead lucky (thanks Comet Spotty)! Rolling Eyes

My nephew in law told me about PocketGPSWorld a month later and I've been here ever since.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xkman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to say backup done,

Thank again Terry
The_Original_Dodger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Lost Maps Reply with quote

I have recently had a similar experience with a 3 year old Tom Tom One, when I accepted a download of a map update the contents of my SD card where deleted. This included the program I was unable to repair the damage as TT Home did not recognise the device any longer. I was also unable to restore from a recent backup either. I had a copy and pasted copy of the SD card which I also tried without success. I contacted TT support who are abismal, with emails backwards and forwards for weeks until I resolved the situation myself, I discovered if I used a card reader that I was able to reinstal the program and them the maps etc. I have now got 2 copies of the SD card and all updates are done with the SD card in the reader not the device. TT support are unable to explain the cause of the problem and frankly dont seem to care. I have found TT attitude to thier customers very bad they dont give a Censored as long as they have your money. I was quite suprised that Halfords were unhelpfull as this is my 2nd device the frist being replaced without question when I had problems with a speed camera download within days of its purchase, once again TT support was total Censored. The TT device is probably the most user friendly of those on the market but like you if I ever replace it it will be anything but a TT. I have subscribed to map updates as well and although you get an update every month, I still find errors that I have reported many times over the months, the same applies to the speed camera updates, there are tempory cameras still on the database that were removed over ayear ago. I will probably get my speed cameras from a third party when my present subscription runs out. I have recently purchased USA maps on an SD card for a trip there and have discovered that you cannot copy or back it up in case of a problem. That old saying let the buyer beware would seem to be very apt with TT.

The Original Dodger

Mod Note: Please don't use asterisks to circumvent the swear filter. PaulB2005

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: