Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Road Angel database
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Road Angel database
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Seamaster wrote:

I don't break the speed limit often enough to be prepared to put up with 50% of all alerts being false alarms.

Then why do you need a speedcam database. Shocked

I don't, particularly. It's a bonus as far as my subscription to LIVE services is concerned. It costs me nothing extra, and updates automatically. The alerts are a useful heads-up to check speed, especially on the continent, but I could live without them if I had to. If it was pointlessly beeping away twice as often as is necessary though, I'd be chucking the bloody thing out the window. Couldn't be doing with that.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
I'd be chucking the bloody thing out the window. Couldn't be doing with that.

Know what you mean. I've got directional IGO based S/W Very Happy Very Happy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:
MILLWALLFC10 wrote:
Just one last question I don't suppose it will do it, but when driving past spec cameras will it work out your average speed, e.g. if you are going to fast to tell you to slow down.

The TomTom LIVE implementation of speed cameras warns you if you are over the limit during the SPECS zone.

Does the PGPSW database filter out alerts based on directionality? Or is it just a simple POI overlay that alerts to all locations?

TT Live SPECS speed cameras only warn if over the limit if they are the fixed type. They don't work in roadworks IE A1 Hatfield area and M25 18 - 16, they still show 70 MPH where they should show 40 mph (A1) and 50 mph (M25).
I travelled both roads today Using my TT XL IQR LIVE with a current LIVE sub.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty pointless then! Confused
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Sounds pretty pointless then! Confused

Maybe, but as it's included in the LIVE package it's a bonus. I have my Tmobile Compact III running Garmin XT giving a more accurate info so I dont mind to much.

PS The HD traffic is more accurate than the Garmin as it gives too many false possitives.
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my last post. I downloaded the latest fixed cameras using TT Home last night and then first thing this morning downloaded the mobile cameras using the TT XL. The A1 at Hatfield now shows 40 mph. I don't know if the M25 or any other SPECS is correct. Yesterday may have been a one off or maybe not !
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MILLWALLFC10

I use a TT 540 Live

I can recommend the TT Live service for traffic alerts - saved me waiting at least once in a 45 minute queue on the way to a major customer. For a regular business driver it is worth the investment and will hopefully get better and cheaper with more users.

The RA Camera data - I also find rather a poor comparison with PGPS World with many cameras apparently missing.

Hopefully at some point TT will introduce a daily or weekly fee for their live services as they only offer monthly to date at £7.99/month in the UK once the 3 month trial period has expired.

Mike37
grantp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster wrote:

I don't break the speed limit often enough to be prepared to put up with 50% of all alerts being false alarms.

Well given the number of mobile units deployed at the most commonly found 'easy to trap both directions' locations I would have thought your 50% might be a little overstated anyway.

In addition to that there are a number of non-Gatso sites - in fact probably most sites these days are not fixed Gatso - that can at least in theory be turned to work in either direction. I am aware of one local oldd technology Gatso site that is also like that (in the centre of a dual carriageway) but have only ever seen it pointing in one direction.

My Road Angel gives plenty of warnings in some places for cameras on nearby roads - the M6 around Birmingham is notable for that. Slightly annoying but realistically, on balance, I would prefer a 'false' warning to an assumption that no warning is required.

My RA databae is years out of date - I really only use it as a digital speedo.

I much prefer the PGPSW database but don't need the Tom-Tom running all the time for my mostly local journeys so it is rarely used. Plus the TT maps seem to be rarely updated with anything useful or even map error corrections for my normal area of travel.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: