Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - One XL. Totally Confused!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

One XL. Totally Confused!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a 2GB card you will have to remove the old map from the card to make space for the new one or it simply won't fit on the card.

As for different versions of the Classic XL I think there were three main devices:

Regional using just Flash Memory 512MB (possibly 1GB though)
European using flash memory with 2GB memory
SD card support only with no internal Flash Memory
- Mike
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem I have now is that it wont boot with the sd card in!! If I access the TT without the card it shows only one map. The card isn't recognised by my card reader. What else can I try please.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the previous exchanges, I'm not sure if you have copied the system files onto the card.

Unlike the x20/x30/x40 Go models, the One and One XL can only use EITHER the internal memory OR the SD card, not both at once.
So you need the program and voices etc. on the card as well as the map.
Easiest way to achieve this is to copy everything from the internal meory onto the blank card, then delete the old map from it and replace it with the new map folder.
You can do all that in Windows Explorer.
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help Andy_P. Problem is when I plug the device into my computer and open it with explorer, I get all the files showing but not a separate drive letter for the card. I have one folder with Western Europe and another with Western Europe_1GB which is the new one, showing on the unit. I have the download sitting in a folder on my desktop. Without the card just one map shows,so the card is showing as an integral part of the unit, so apart from buying another card, I don't know how to do what you are sugesting. Further help would be really appreciated.
chelsky
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update. I put the sd card into my go 720 and it showed in explorer as two drives. Can I format it while it is in my 720? and then copy over the files from the one xl? Then remove the Western European map folder, copy and paste the four folders from the download, which were"Ephemeris,Map,Safety Cameras and Zip code" Sorry to be a pain but obviously I have to be sure as it isn't my unit!! I don't want to use Home if I can avoid it, it is getting a bit tetchy plugging two units in with different logins!!!
Thank you. chelsky
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a reply to your PM before I saw this...
You didn't mention the lack of two drive letters in your PM... that concerns me.
I think we need to get that sorted out first.

I don't really like doing stuff by PM, you get no "peer review" (i.e. people putting right your mistakes!) so just to get everything back onto the forum, I'll repeat what I suggested in my PM:

I'm assuming you are seeing these files in C:\Documents and Settings\Andy\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete, yes?

If those folders you mention have any files ending in .cab and .toc in them (or in the sub-folders) then they are the "raw" download and they need uncompressing before they can go onto the TomTom
(It's rather like un-zipping but different - you need a different program such as WinRar to do it manually).

If I told you to do it with Windows Explorer, that's good advice for moving around maps that you have ALREADY installed on your TomTom, but if it''s a new download, it's simpler to let Home do it for you as it will do all the de-compressing as it goes.

So, you should be able to use Home to put the new map onto the ONE XL, using the 'Add Maps' (and look for entries which say they are on "your computer"or 'Add Voices , Traffic etc' followed by 'Items on my Computer'. It should then do it all for you and not have to worry about the individual folders (You can also use Home to remove the old map first.)

Hope that all makes sense, I could go into more detail about what the four folders are for, but you SHOULDN'T need to bother with them if Home dos its job right.

Good luck and if it all goes wrong, talk to Mike_Alder over the weekend as I'm not back till Monday. Laughing
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I followed the advice and deleted the map via home, then went to "Add Maps" and allowed Home to install it. Disconnected the device and still no change. Checked the device without the card and shows map 675.1409. Checked the card in my 720and still the old map. When I connect the XL with the card in it only shows as one drive letter but in my 720 it then shows 2 drive letters. Any ideas please? Perhaps I should leave the card out of the XL, delete the map and try again?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a number of different XL devices, some only used a memory card, others had internal Flash memory I seem to think there were three different units all named One XL.

What this device will not do is share memory locations, if you put a card in the device it will boot from the card and ONLY show the contents of the card, take the card out and you will see whats stored on the internal Flash memory (if its even got a Flash memory).
Take out card, connect to PC and locate the XL in Windows Explorer, rignt click the drive letter associated with the TomTom and select "Properties" what is the size of available storage shown and the total capacity of the fitted memory. Please report back with these figures then we can understand where to try to put the new map - ike
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. These are the figures.
Used Space 956MB
Free Space 1.68MB
Capacity 958MB
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the card out of the XL and use Windows Explorer to copy everything on the device to the PC - right click on the desktop of the PC and select New/ Folder name the folder XL Backup, put all the files and folders from the One XL in to this folder.
Now format the SD card before copying all the contents from the XL Backup folder to the card, when its finished delete the Western_Europe map folder from the SD Card.
Boot the device and it should say "No Maps Found" connect it to the PC and use Home to install the new map to the device - Mike
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike I have formated the sd card and copied the contents of the XL to a folder. I have to use my 720 to format the card because even with the card in the XL only shows up as one drive. Can I copy the backup to the card while it is in my720? and why will the XL not use the map that is on the device when I delete the map from the card. Sorry for the questions I just want to know why I am doing these things for the future
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The XL will only boot or read/ write to either the built in memory OR the SD card, it is different to your 720 in this respect.
THE XL CANNOT USE THE INTERNAL MEMORY AND SD CARD AT THE SAME TIME, if an SD card is inserted that is what the device will use and make available, with no SD card inserted it then reverts back to the internal memory.

Using the 720 as a card reader to install the files and folders from the backup folder will be fine - Mike
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I will let you know how I get on.
chelsky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike. Many Many Many thanks. It is all up and running on the new map Laughing By the way do you know if ver.8010 is the latest upgrade for the XL software.
Thank you again
chelsky

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: